Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

ST interior wood trim

blackdog

U.S. Navy Veteran
Reactions
Vehicle
2021 Explorer ST

GearHead_1

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Vehicle
Exploder
There is no accounting for one's taste but I can't help but think this direction needs a little more consideration. No offense intended.

OP
blackdog

blackdog

U.S. Navy Veteran
Reactions
Vehicle
2021 Explorer ST
Thread Starter #3
Exactly why I'm asking. What's your honest opinion, and don't hold back. And no offense will be taken.

GearHead_1

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Vehicle
Exploder
Well... okay then, in my opinion, the wood/faux wood look belongs in a luxury car. Think land-yacht Lincoln, Cadillac, Platinum Trim whatever, or a Bentley. I want to think of these as having a little more sports personality. I can see someone going carbon fiber if that's their taste but wood grain just hits me wrong in the ST

UNBROKEN

4000 Post Club
Reactions
I think the black wood would be pretty sharp.

OP
blackdog

blackdog

U.S. Navy Veteran
Reactions
Vehicle
2021 Explorer ST
Thread Starter #6
Well... okay then, in my opinion, the wood/faux wood look belongs in a luxury car. Think land-yacht Lincoln, Cadillac, Platinum Trim whatever, or a Bentley. I want to think of these as having a little more sports personality. I can see someone going carbon fiber if that's their taste but wood grain just hits me wrong in the ST
Thank you.

I Bleed Ford Blue

U.S. Navy Veteran
Reactions
Vehicle
23 Rapid Red Explorer ST
I second GearHead. The ST is a sporty SUV and better suited with carbon fiber trim or piano black. Leave the wood to the luxury trims.

TMac

1000 Post Club
Reactions
You should do whatever YOU want to do. Keep in mind though, unless you're keeping it forever, a buyer may not have the same taste.

Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
I had a 2005 4Runner for a little while, it had wood trim inside. It was a light brown color, and I didn't really care for it. I bought one those wood trim kits you can find on sites like CarID - a nice, darker wood. I was thinking it would just overlay the existing wood trim. I was wrong. When it arrived and I took a good look at it, it was just kind of slightly thick stickers, puffy kind of, and they had a not very realistic wood grain printed on them (and it was not a cheap kit). If I were to apply to it, there was no way it would be even remotely convincing, and would have looked 10 times worse than what I already had. They were cut pretty close, but not super exact, so it would have looked weird because parts trim underneath would show through. I ended up not using them. I don't remember the name of the brand, but it looked exactly like the link you posted, and was about the same price as well.

The problem I think, ultimately, is that many wood trim tends to be at least even in height with the other trim panels, or sometimes sunk in a bit. These kits, being stickers that you apply on top of the already even trim, tend to push it out a touch, put it in the uncanny valley, and just doesn't look quite right.

You do you, but I would advise against it.