Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

ST Cleaning Product Tips

gorcbor24

Reactions
Vehicle
2023 Explorer ST
This is probably a pretty basic question, but I'm a new 2023 black ST owner. I love it and plan on babying it and keeping it shiny as often as I can.

I'm going to go shopping for cleaning supplies soon and thought I'd inquire what you all recommend from outside to inside products, including the wheels/brakes (those were tough to shine up, any tips there would be appreciated!).

What are you all using to keep your ST looking like new?

Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Ford F-150 Raptor
This is probably a pretty basic question, but I'm a new 2023 black ST owner. I love it and plan on babying it and keeping it shiny as often as I can.

I'm going to go shopping for cleaning supplies soon and thought I'd inquire what you all recommend from outside to inside products, including the wheels/brakes (those were tough to shine up, any tips there would be appreciated!).

Purple Slice. Is a perfect cleaning product that gives the paint a shine, doesn’t streak on windows, cleans dirt and bugs off, and makes the car look amazing. Have been using it for 15 years.

OP
gorcbor24

gorcbor24

Reactions
Vehicle
2023 Explorer ST
Thread Starter #3
Purple Slice. Is a perfect cleaning product that gives the paint a shine, doesn’t streak on windows, cleans dirt and bugs off, and makes the car look amazing. Have been using it for 15 years.
Awesome, thank you! Adding this to my shopping list.

GearHead_1

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Vehicle
Exploder

I couldn't begin to tell you which product is the best for your needs without knowing more about your circumstances, what it is you are cleaning, the tools currently used, the time you wish to invest, etc. In over 40 years of detailing vehicles, I've used most major name brands and many niche brands at one time or another and have been satisfied with the results when used properly. I'm going to assume that "CLEANING PRODUCTS" covers the whole process from soup to nuts. I've moderated on a Detailing Forum for over 20 years and a lot of products have come my way to try and use, some have made an impression on me and others not so much. I literally have cabinets full of products, some used only one time.

There are at least 10 or 12 different brands I could name that make products to cover literally anything that needs to be cleaned, polished, protected, or coated on your vehicle. It goes without saying that one product isn't the best solution for all cleaning uses. There are interior cleaners, floor mat cleaners, tire cleaners, wheel cleaners, paint cleaners and the list goes on.

Upfront I'll say this, I'm not pitching a product that comes back to me in any way. That said, I'll offer this, if there is any one brand that covers the gamut, works well, doesn't cost a fortune, is easy to obtain, and has left me satisfied with the results it's a niche brand Poorboy's Products. They have been around for over 20 years and literally everything I used from them has been a superior product.

A couple of their products that I buy in gallons are Bug Squash, Bird Sh#t Remover, Spray and Wipe, Spray and Gloss, and Bold N Brite. Their polishes work extremely well, their coating is easy to work with, their soaps, detergents, and tire and wheel cleaners work well, and their sealants are top-notch, their towels are nice and they offer several different waxes. Many of their products are approved to be used in direct sunlight which is a plus for those that don't have a shop to work in. These products just work and can be picked up directly from them or by way of Amazon and several other vendors.

Having said all that, I have other products that if you were to ask me about a specific application/use, I might name over Poorboys but due to cost, availability, limited working time, ease of use, how long the product lasts etc. they aren't a great recommendation across the board. They make one product that works well for a specific use but some of their other products don't stack up.

You may not choose Poorboys but I would tell you they are worth a look.

Last edited:

Cdubya

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
Does anyone know what will remove rubbing compound residue from the black trim? I've tried. Can't get it out. Used trim cleaner and thought it worked but ended up just covering up and after a time, it shows through.

Rick

U.S. Army Veteran
Law Enforcement
Reactions
Vehicle
Rapid Red
Does anyone know what will remove rubbing compound residue from the black trim? I've tried. Can't get it out. Used trim cleaner and thought it worked but ended up just covering up and after a time, it shows through.
take a hair blow dryer … set it to heat on low speed for the blower … hold it 4 to 5 inches from the piece of trim … The heat will bring the color back on that trim piece.