Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

Spinning while brake stalling?

Reactions
Adam from ZFG has my tune dialed about as good as we can until I get an IC. I am just on 93 so its not like I'm making alot of power. Do yall have a trick to not get your ST to start spinning while you are brake stalling it to build boost? Every time I go for a 0-60, it starts spinning the back tires before I can get it built all the way up. Is there something I am missing? Although a 4.3 0-60 in stupid hot and humid south FL weather isn't bad, I know I am losing some when it spins.

UNBROKEN

4000 Post Club
Reactions
Pump the brakes a few times and mash it to the floor. It should hold 28-2900 rpm before it starts breaking loose. Find what it’ll hold and let it rip. Mine will hold 2800...best 93 tune 0-60 is 3.96 so far in mediocre weather.

Reactions
Is it possible to get it to spin the tires on a stock ST? I tried and the RPMs would get over 3k. Tires didnt budge but the indicator started to apply more power to the front wheels on the indicator. Sport on, Traction control and advance track was off. Weather in the 30s 93 octane gas.

OP
Reactions
Thread Starter #4
Is it possible to get it to spin the tires on a stock ST? I tried and the RPMs would get over 3k. Tires didnt budge but the indicator started to apply more power to the front wheels on the indicator. Sport on, Traction control and advance track was off. Weather in the 30s 93 octane gas.
Probably not but with a ZFG 93 tune its a different story

Reactions
Unfortunately I live in Michigan and it’s either snowing or 15° every day since I’ve modified this car so can never get an ideal 0-60 run. Many of my prior vehicles have had a launch control function which I am surprised this one does not...but anyways I never got my best times using it. It was always either brake/gas myself or just pedal to medal myself nothing fancy. Are we sure revving to 2700ish is best way for top 0-60?

UNBROKEN

4000 Post Club
Reactions
Rev it as high as the road will hold. I find concrete better than asphalt.

Reactions
Rev it as high as the road will hold. I find concrete better than asphalt.
Me too on concrete. I was just curious if anyone thought based on how you were tuned if you could get better performance just stepping on it

UNBROKEN

4000 Post Club
Reactions
I can’t say I’ve ever done a dragy log without stalling it up. Might make for an interesting comparison. Too bad I’m in PA again this week in a Nissan rental. lol

UNBROKEN

4000 Post Club
Reactions
Yep...they cleverly disguised it as a Murano.

Reactions
Yep...they cleverly disguised it as a Murano.
:LOL: Muranos drive pretty nice though. But anyways, I think just pedal to medal would be an interesting baseline measurement to compare different tunes etc since it removes the variable of launch and you likely don’t spin at all.

Reactions
Im down to do some 0-60 runs with the stomp & go method. Takes driver almost completely out of it & could give us some solid baselines based on tunes/mods/etc. Someone make a thread and ill add some Dragys once its stops raining if there’s enough interest

Reactions
Im down to do some 0-60 runs with the stomp & go method. Takes driver almost completely out of it & could give us some solid baselines based on tunes/mods/etc. Someone make a thread and ill add some Dragys once its stops raining if there’s enough interest
Yeah exactly it's a much more comparable universal measurement. When you're brake stalling you add in driver skill and tire spin which brings in tire type, psi, road condition, etc etc.

I didn't realize most manufacturers quote their 0-60 times based on 1ft 0-60. I've yet to be able to do a 0-60 run in anything better than freezing conditions with salt on the roads. My best 0-60 1ft is 3.60 and true 0-60 is 3.91.

Reactions
Yeah exactly it's a much more comparable universal measurement. When you're brake stalling you add in driver skill and tire spin which brings in tire type, psi, road condition, etc etc.

I didn't realize most manufacturers quote their 0-60 times based on 1ft 0-60. I've yet to be able to do a 0-60 run in anything better than freezing conditions with salt on the roads. My best 0-60 1ft is 3.60 and true 0-60 is 3.91.
WTF. i've literally been under a rock for 20+ years lol. What a crock that manufacturers use the 1ft/roll method of calculating. Depending on the application, they're giving us false #s by 0.2-0.3s give or take. What a big difference that is esp. in the sub-3sec category. Thanks for hitting me with some knowledge this Tues morn Kruppa!

Reactions
WTF. i've literally been under a rock for 20+ years lol. What a crock that manufacturers use the 1ft/roll method of calculating. Depending on the application, they're giving us false #s by 0.2-0.3s give or take. What a big difference that is esp. in the sub-3sec category. Thanks for hitting me with some knowledge this Tues morn Kruppa!
The biggest issue is you'll never know which ones do this. Very few would ever provide that detail. Some language on it...

"Ever wondered why the 0-60 mph time from publication A is lower than the one from publication B? It's generally not because one has better drivers than the other, especially in today's world of launch control and automatic transmissions. Nor is it due to equipment accuracy, as everyone uses Racelogic VBOX data loggers. The time difference is usually due to the liberal use of a correction factor and the needless application of rollout.

A common practice is to cut the first 3 mph from a run, cutting as much as 0.3 seconds off the time.

Rollout comes from the drag strip. When you start a quarter-mile run, the timing lights don't start until the front wheel is all the way over the starting line. That number used to be approximated by subtracting the first foot of an acceleration run. Now a common substitute is to cut the first 3 mph from a run, cutting as much as 0.3 seconds off the time. Some publications post a 0-60 mph with rollout and others do not. Once again, there is no standard. In either case, it means the number in print isn't the number you feel."

Dave G ST

U.S. Army Veteran
Reactions
With the summer tires on and the deep snow we got, I did a 4wheel burn out in our driveway because it was stuck. Smoke filled the inside
May I ask what wheel & tire combo you have. Looking pretty good.

Nickoli

Reactions