Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

SPD downpipes

Reactions
Good day everyone,
I'm really thinking about pulling the trigger and purchasing the SPD down pipes especially after dealing with Whoosh/Ron whose been very fair with pricing (shipping rates to Canada).
I'm just wondering what the general opinion is regarding down pipes in terms of overall linear power, hp gains, good value for the money?
I have a few mods so far and I believe these will only help the overall performance but how much will it really?
I'm basically going back and forth over down pipes vs AFE cold air intake and wonder which is the better performance gain.
Right now I have the Whipple IC, 93 octane canned tune, Borla Atak exhaust.
Any suggestions and/or opinions would be highly welcomed, thank you.

Reactions
purely qualitative response here, Downpipes will give you the better bang-for-the-buck gain here. You will be hard pressed to find any before/after dyno runs to quantify this as the DPs are a pain in the ass to install. The high flow cats in the DPs will help the turbochargers spool much quicker and let the entire exhaust breathe a lot easier. Each will have their own unique sound enhancement. The AFE will let you hear the turbos spool up whereas the DPs will make your exhaust a little louder, especially at wide open throttle.

Just do both!

OP
F
Reactions
Thread Starter #3
purely qualitative response here, Downpipes will give you the better bang-for-the-buck gain here. You will be hard pressed to find any before/after dyno runs to quantify this as the DPs are a pain in the ass to install. The high flow cats in the DPs will help the turbochargers spool much quicker and let the entire exhaust breathe a lot easier. Each will have their own unique sound enhancement. The AFE will let you hear the turbos spool up whereas the DPs will make your exhaust a little louder, especially at wide open throttle.

Just do both!
Thanks for the feedback. I will more than likely purchase both tbh but it seems like DP's will be the better upgrade based off the research/feedback.
With less restriction from the stock DP's (literally a 90 degree angle) it appears due to the SPD dp's providing quicker turbo spool, and the exhaust breathing more, it only makes sense that there is hp to be had here.
I think the only conundrum I am looking at is price vs value.
I hear and this is all without more testing, the CAI will provide approx 15hp
The DP's between 10 - 20hp.
CAI is approx $800CAD which includes shipping and tax plus install (1 - 2 hrs @ $150 per hour) = $1100 approx.
DP's are approx $1300CAD which includes shipping and USD to CAD conversion plus install (3-5hrs approx @ $150 per hour) = $1750 w/ 3hrs install or $2050 w/5 hrs install.
So there is a significant difference in price but is there a significant difference in performance?

Reactions
I honestly wouldn't stress over getting the most HP / Dollar here. If you plan on doing both then grab the SPD down pipes now since they are available, then get the AFE when available. Check out the FenFab intake as well.

Also, don't focus on max HP gains, but instead look at the increase in area under the HP curve.

OP
F
Reactions
Thread Starter #5
I honestly wouldn't stress over getting the most HP / Dollar here. If you plan on doing both then grab the SPD down pipes now since they are available, then get the AFE when available. Check out the FenFab intake as well.

Also, don't focus on max HP gains, but instead look at the increase in area under the HP curve.
Much appreciated sir, thank you.

TMac

1000 Post Club
Reactions
I think you need to think about your goals first. If you've read any of my posts, I'm a "bang for the buck" guy. You can spend thousands of dollars on downpipes, intakes, exhaust and installation of the above. However, a good non-canned tune from an outfit like ZFG will get you 70-90hp on a completely stock ST for around $700. There are people on this forum with no mods other than a custom tune who run in the mid to low 12s.

I'm not doubting (based on @UNBROKEN and other's evidence) that downpipes are certainly worth some hp, but due to the difficulty and expense of installing them, I personally would not bother unless I was also swapping turbos so as to minimize the time and expense of installation. And a word to the wise- you should also consider that if you have a problem and have replaced the stock cats (at least in the US), good luck with your warranty claims.

F=MA

Reactions
Dude go to Mexico and emigrate to the USA. They are letting anyone in now. I would do that before paying Canada Customs :poop::poop::poop::poop::poop: one more red Canadian cent (which due to government mismanagement does not even exist anymore). That institution is exactly like the worst crime family shaking down folks from coast to coast. Welcome to Canada. Do you have any half-eaten hamburger in your colon to declare? F*** Y** Canada Customs :poop::poop::poop::poop::poop: And no I never once was in trouble with this crime family. I did not appreciate having to go down to the post office every time I ordered the simplest item to get scrutinized and shaken down for an additional duty. It is bad enough you have to take a hit on the money but paying these jokers is the worst !!

TMac

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Dude go to Mexico and emigrate to the USA. They are letting anyone in now. I would do that before paying Canada Customs :poop::poop::poop::poop::poop: one more red Canadian cent (which due to government mismanagement does not even exist anymore). That institution is exactly like the worst crime family shaking down folks from coast to coast. Welcome to Canada. Do you have any half-eaten hamburger in your colon to declare? F*** Y** Canada Customs :poop::poop::poop::poop::poop: And no I never once was in trouble with this crime family. I did not appreciate having to go down to the post office every time I ordered the simplest item to get scrutinized and shaken down for an additional duty. It is bad enough you have to take a hit on the money but paying these jokers is the worst !!
Thanks for that emoji-filled unintelligible post about US immigration, Canadian duties, government malfeasance, crime families, and yes, even undigested hamburger. Stay frosty and layoff the meth @F=MA!

F=MA

Reactions
Did I use the Wendie's logo too many times? :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

OP
F
Reactions
Thread Starter #10
lol. I agree haha

OP
F
Reactions
Thread Starter #11
I think you need to think about your goals first. If you've read any of my posts, I'm a "bang for the buck" guy. You can spend thousands of dollars on downpipes, intakes, exhaust and installation of the above. However, a good non-canned tune from an outfit like ZFG will get you 70-90hp on a completely stock ST for around $700. There are people on this forum with no mods other than a custom tune who run in the mid to low 12s.

I'm not doubting (based on @UNBROKEN and other's evidence) that downpipes are certainly worth some hp, but due to the difficulty and expense of installing them, I personally would not bother unless I was also swapping turbos so as to minimize the time and expense of installation. And a word to the wise- you should also consider that if you have a problem and have replaced the stock cats (at least in the US), good luck with your warranty claims.
Good point!
I actually made an error by saying I have a canned tune which is incorrect. It's a custom tune that was put together by JDM Engineering in NJ who are Ford guys.
They just revised it over the summer and came out with a stage 1 paired with the Whipple IC making approx 100whp / 200ft lb torque.
The old tune (the one I currently have) makes approx 60whp / 90ft lb torque.
With the IC, the revision has made substantial gains according to their tuning.
They ran it on the track and put down 0-60 in 3.8 sec
Road conditions were 0-60 in 4.2 sec
Again, this is what I've been told and don't have any data logs or sheets to show this info!

What I do know is that they're great guys who are passionate about Ford cars and really seem to know a thing or two about the Explorer and Mustangs.
On a side note, the one thing I find interesting is the argument between SCT and HP tuner devices. I know many have gone to HP and SCT has become a thing of the past but these guys swear by them.
Past threads on here regarding this hasn't been too pleasant with a lot of harsh words tossed back and forth.
Maybe this is subjective to the tuner? The owner of the shop James D'amore has his beliefs and stands by SCT X4 vs HP tuners.
I'm still new to all of this so I don't really know tbh. All I go by is how the car performs and so far their tune along with the other mods I have is night and day from stock.

From their website:
DESCRIPTION
Want a turn key proven performance package for your 2020-2021 Explorer ST or Lincoln Aviator 3.0L Ecoboost? Team JDM has just what you want and need in the Stage 1 Performance Package! This kit includes a NEW SCT X4 tuning device, The Latest Custom tuning file from JDM Engineering, and a Whipple MEGA Cooler Intercooler! This package adds over 100 HP, 200 TQ, improves shifting, throttle response, and keeps your ST running cooler! Team JDM has installed this package on many vehicles in house and has proven tunes ready for your Explorer ST! Our performance and drivability is second to none!!

• Adds up to 100 HP and over 200 lb/ft of Torque! On 93 octane (We can tune for 91 octane also!)
  • Throttle Response Improves drastically and removes the factory pedal delay and turbo lag!
  • All the shifting strategies of the 10 speed transmission are remapped for a performance shift pattern! This is what other tuners can not offer! We spent hundreds of hours in R&D programming the transmission tuning and we have it dialed in with quick, crisp shift points!!
  • Adds an average of 1 mpg fuel economy on the highway!
  • Saves factory tune file and can be reverted back to stock for service or warranty work in only minutes!
  • Works with all driving modes including Sport!
  • Lowers Intake Air temperatures over 70 degrees at wide open throttle!
My goal for this truck is to use the 3L ecoboost platform and build as much power from it as possible via tuning and mods.
Upgraded turbos might be where I draw the line but ideally I'd like a truck that can hang with the Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT (I have a thing for them lol).
Trying to put Ford on the map and show the mopar world a V6 can handle and is better on gas to boot :)
At this point, I'm just adding mods and seeing when enough is enough I guess. 3.8 sec is probably enough for me though!

Reactions
Good point!
I actually made an error by saying I have a canned tune which is incorrect. It's a custom tune that was put together by JDM Engineering in NJ who are Ford guys.
They just revised it over the summer and came out with a stage 1 paired with the Whipple IC making approx 100whp / 200ft lb torque.
The old tune (the one I currently have) makes approx 60whp / 90ft lb torque.
With the IC, the revision has made substantial gains according to their tuning.
They ran it on the track and put down 0-60 in 3.8 sec
Road conditions were 0-60 in 4.2 sec
Again, this is what I've been told and don't have any data logs or sheets to show this info!

What I do know is that they're great guys who are passionate about Ford cars and really seem to know a thing or two about the Explorer and Mustangs.
On a side note, the one thing I find interesting is the argument between SCT and HP tuner devices. I know many have gone to HP and SCT has become a thing of the past but these guys swear by them.
Past threads on here regarding this hasn't been too pleasant with a lot of harsh words tossed back and forth.
Maybe this is subjective to the tuner? The owner of the shop James D'amore has his beliefs and stands by SCT X4 vs HP tuners.
I'm still new to all of this so I don't really know tbh. All I go by is how the car performs and so far their tune along with the other mods I have is night and day from stock.

From their website:
DESCRIPTION
Want a turn key proven performance package for your 2020-2021 Explorer ST or Lincoln Aviator 3.0L Ecoboost? Team JDM has just what you want and need in the Stage 1 Performance Package! This kit includes a NEW SCT X4 tuning device, The Latest Custom tuning file from JDM Engineering, and a Whipple MEGA Cooler Intercooler! This package adds over 100 HP, 200 TQ, improves shifting, throttle response, and keeps your ST running cooler! Team JDM has installed this package on many vehicles in house and has proven tunes ready for your Explorer ST! Our performance and drivability is second to none!!

• Adds up to 100 HP and over 200 lb/ft of Torque! On 93 octane (We can tune for 91 octane also!)
  • Throttle Response Improves drastically and removes the factory pedal delay and turbo lag!
  • All the shifting strategies of the 10 speed transmission are remapped for a performance shift pattern! This is what other tuners can not offer! We spent hundreds of hours in R&D programming the transmission tuning and we have it dialed in with quick, crisp shift points!!
  • Adds an average of 1 mpg fuel economy on the highway!
  • Saves factory tune file and can be reverted back to stock for service or warranty work in only minutes!
  • Works with all driving modes including Sport!
  • Lowers Intake Air temperatures over 70 degrees at wide open throttle!
My goal for this truck is to use the 3L ecoboost platform and build as much power from it as possible via tuning and mods.
Upgraded turbos might be where I draw the line but ideally I'd like a truck that can hang with the Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT (I have a thing for them lol).
Trying to put Ford on the map and show the mopar world a V6 can handle and is better on gas to boot :)
At this point, I'm just adding mods and seeing when enough is enough I guess. 3.8 sec is probably enough for me though!
I have used JDM in the past for one of the supercharged Mustangs I owned. They provided great customer service and took care of every request that I had. I am curious to see some more information on how they achieved an additional 100hp and 200 ft lbs of torque. Does anyone know any fellow members running their tune? Or has anyone compared the tunes to any of the other tunes offered by other vendors? Any information would be great

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

OP
F
Reactions
Thread Starter #13
I have used JDM in the past for one of the supercharged Mustangs I owned. They provided great customer service and took care of every request that I had. I am curious to see some more information on how they achieved an additional 100hp and 200 ft lbs of torque. Does anyone know any fellow members running their tune? Or has anyone compared the tunes to any of the other tunes offered by other vendors? Any information would be great

I was hoping for the same. I dont know anyone else that has used their tune on the Explorer and I dont have anything to compare to. 100 wheeled hp is a massive number though. I dont recall seeing those numbers from other tuners mentioned on this site. What did their tune give your Mustang in terms of hp and TQ?

Reactions
I was hoping for the same. I dont know anyone else that has used their tune on the Explorer and I dont have anything to compare to. 100 wheeled hp is a massive number though. I dont recall seeing those numbers from other tuners mentioned on this site. What did their tune give your Mustang in terms of hp and TQ?
The Mustang is nothing to compare it to. I was on my 3rd Supercharger from upgrading just to have more consistent power with better cooling and a little more boost.

OP
F
Reactions
Thread Starter #15
The Mustang is nothing to compare it to. I was on my 3rd Supercharger from upgrading just to have more consistent power with better cooling and a little more boost.

No doubt I agree. I was just asking to see if what they claimed in terms of power held true. They told me they took the ST to the track and street in real world conditions and put down 3.8 and 4.2
I should have the revised tune by Wednesday and then I can have something to compare to with the old tune. Old tune they said numbers were approx 50 to 60whp and 80 to 100 TQ. I never took it to a dyno and just went by stock feel to tunes feel and it was definitely faster. Adding IC and exhaust helped aswell vs stock. We shall see.

Reactions
I can believe those numbers easily. The +100hp/200 ft lbs, that’s a lot unless maybe utilizing E50 or E85. Did you datalog and send them the results for the revision?

Last edited:
OP
F
Reactions
Thread Starter #17
I can believe those numbers easily. The +100hp/200 ft lbs, that’s a lot unless maybe utilizing E50 or E85. Did you datalog and send them the results for the revision?

No data logging on my part. Everything has been done through them in house via their testing on the truck.
The old tune was done without the Whipple IC. since the IC, they were able to pull more power and revised the tune.
Waiting on the email to be sent to upload to device.
I only use 93 octane with the tune and occasionally 94 if I cant find 93.

Reactions

I’ve seen several Dyno graphs of 100+ whp gains on 91, with a intercooler. So I don’t think these numbers are far out at all.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions
I’ve seen several Dyno graphs of 100+ whp gains on 91, with a intercooler. So I don’t think these numbers are far out at all.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Well that’s impressive! Looks like a Whipple Intercooler will be my first mod!

Reactions