Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

So what do you all do?

Reactions
For a living?

I am a union plumber/pipe welder out of Local 24 in northern New Jersey. I only do commercial/industrial work, no residential stuff. Hospitals, schools, science labs, etc... I am not the guy you call to unclog your toilet.

So what about the rest of you?

dolsen

U.S. Marine Veteran
Reactions
For a living?

I am a union plumber/pipe welder out of Local 24 in northern New Jersey. I only do commercial/industrial work, no residential stuff. Hospitals, schools, science labs, etc... I am not the guy you call to unclog your toilet.

So what about the rest of you?
To me it is ironic that you list yourself as a plumber/pipefitter. In the local 502 here in Louisville, KY, they're all listed as plumber/pipefitter, but most of them will say they are one or the other, and they hate it when you call them the wrong one.

I am a mechanical design engineer for a government defense contractor.

OP
A
Reactions
Thread Starter #3
To me it is ironic that you list yourself as a plumber/pipefitter. In the local 502 here in Louisville, KY, they're all listed as plumber/pipefitter, but most of them will say they are one or the other, and they hate it when you call them the wrong one.

I am a mechanical design engineer for a government defense contractor.
I am not a pipefitter, I am a plumber and pipe welder. For a most part, plumbers can do what pipefitters can, but fitters can't do what plumbers can.

Reactions
Field Service Manager for John Deere, formerly a heavy equipment technician on Deere forestry and construction equipment for 15 years.

dolsen

U.S. Marine Veteran
Reactions
I am not a pipefitter, I am a plumber and pipe welder. For a most part, plumbers can do what pipefitters can, but fitters can't do what plumbers can.
My bad, not sure how I transposed pipe welder/pipefitter. I guess when I saw pipe welder I assumed pipe fitter? I am asking out of ignorance, not sarcasm, what's the difference in a pipe welder and pipe fitter? Or does the name explain that difference? I've done pipe fitting, but I've never done pipe welding

OP
A
Reactions
Thread Starter #7
Well, in a nutshell, pipefitting is plumbing, but without any need for knowledge of code, drainage, waste, venting, and finish work.

zdubyadubya

Reactions
Vehicle
2020 ST
Software developer for the FDA. I used to be an orthopedic device reviewer but now I write code that uses machine learning and custom algorithms to analyze very large clinical data sets to look for abnormalities, falsified data, statistical manipulation, etc. Its a cool gig but will rapidly erode your faith in drug and device development practices in this country. :-(

Reactions
I deal with everything chemical/biological/radiological/nuclear/explosive - related for a branch of the Federal government. Also a paramedic for 15 years.

Reactions
Field Service Manager for John Deere, formerly a heavy equipment technician on Deere forestry and construction equipment for 15 years.
Nice! I was a service manager for Everglades for 2 years ( Ag side in Okeechobee)

Reactions
GM of an "Outdoors" dealership where we sell mowers, golf carts, I have a line-x franchise here, along with any and all car accessories.

CapTom

U.S. Army Veteran
Firefighter/EMT
Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
I'm a Merchant Marine Licensed Master Mariner, retired as Captain of a 440 passenger excursion ship. I sailed mostly out of New York Harbor but retired to a lake in South Carolina. As a matter of pride: My daughter is now Captain of the ship I retired from.

Reactions
I'm a fire dispatcher - in other words if you call 911 and ask for the fire department, or if you are driving a fire truck and you call dispatch on the radio, you get me answering.

Reactions
777 Pilot

Sch0227

U.S. Army Veteran
Reactions
Field Service Engineer - Molecular Diagnostics

Reactions
Software Engineer (developer) for a bank.