Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

Side View Mirror Cap removal

rxrep

Reactions
Hi,

Tried searching and couldn't find - does anyone have instructions or video for removing the mirror cap/housing as circled in photo below? I want to change the color and possibly wrap it in CF but don't want to start prying until I know attachment points and if it's a simply clip in or not. It appears clip in on the schematic but this may not even be the right mirror. It was all I could find online. TIA.
ST Mirror.JPG

UNBROKEN

4000 Post Club
Reactions
I've been trying to get the same info...so far I'm coming up blank.

UNBROKEN

4000 Post Club
Reactions
Tilt the mirror all the way down and remove the 2 torx screws at the top then it’ll pop off.

Reactions
Thank you. I just ordered new caps so I can get them painted and replace my stock ones

beST_1

Reactions
Somewhat but unrelated...somebody actually stole the glass only from my passenger side rear view mirror.
Ordered the replacement mirror, but realized they ripped off the connector for the BLIS display in the mirror. Does anybody know what that connector is called? I have two bare wires now and cannot plug into the back of the mirror...

Wallenjr

Firefighter
Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Ford Explorer
Somewhat but unrelated...somebody actually stole the glass only from my passenger side rear view mirror.
Ordered the replacement mirror, but realized they ripped off the connector for the BLIS display in the mirror. Does anybody know what that connector is called? I have two bare wires now and cannot plug into the back of the mirror...
I'm curious to know if you ever found an answer to this? This exact situation just happened to me.

Reactions
Vehicle
2021 Explorer Platinum
Recently while parked on the street at a place we were visiting the drivers side mirror fell off, or I at least thought it fell off, because when I returned to my vehicle it was hanging by the wires.
My dealership replaced it under warranty because there was no other apparent collision damage to the mirror housing and the glass mirror was still connected via all the wires.
Now I wonder if it was purposely pried off and something or someone interrupted the would-be thief.
Here's a pic of the back of the mirror, Bliss side, but it doesn't show the actual connector. Perhaps a forum member has a wiring diagram shop manual or Ford parts department has info.

Attachments

MKEBob

U.S. Air Force Veteran
Reactions
Vehicle
2002 Ford Explorer
I'm curious to know if you ever found an answer to this? This exact situation just happened to me.
Amazing! Exact same thing happened to me a month ago. Glass (right mirror) completely gone, including the "clip" on the end of the Blind Spot/Cross Traffic wire. Still searching for the "fix" short of replacing the entire mirror assembly at a minimum of over $500! <<Just of the lack of a clip!