Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

Side Mirror Overextending

Sarge101st

U.S. Army Veteran
Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Ford Explorer ST
So this issue has started recently. I’m worried as I had the same issue in my old Genesis and it necessitated a plastic gear swap that involved me spending 3 hours of disassembly and reassembly to fix.

https://youtube.com/shorts/x8ho2rrFgc0?si=uObTAJH3Y6bbp4Xo

Reactions
Vehicle
2023 Explorer ST
OP
Sarge101st

Sarge101st

U.S. Army Veteran
Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Ford Explorer ST
Thread Starter #3
Have you tried this:

That's a great link I hadn't found yet. Thank you for sharing the link. I think it helped a little in that it's only trying to extend a single gear cycle less than it was before but even after repeating the steps many times it still tries to overextend. I think the issue was the mirror got hyper extended forward (like towards the hood,) before when the previous owner hit it while moving.

Reactions
Vehicle
2023 Explorer ST
The link is in the service manual (CD version). If you repair it please post a few pictures, hopefully something just popped out of place and needs to be reseated.

OP
Sarge101st

Sarge101st

U.S. Army Veteran
Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Ford Explorer ST
Thread Starter #5
The link is in the service manual (CD version). If you repair it please post a few pictures, hopefully something just popped out of place and needs to be reseated.
The reset function that they outline in the service manual is to continue to push the power folding mirror button multiple times to get it to reset. I also tried the 5th gen explorer mirror reset trick of holding down the folding mirror button for 5 seconds but no luck.

DawgsOnTop

Nurse
Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
Mine does this too. Very odd that it just randomly started one day. Wife wasn’t thrilled because she likes the auto fold/lock feature. If anyone else has encountered a fix please share. It’s mainly the passenger side, it will hyperextend past its position towards the hood.

OP
Sarge101st

Sarge101st

U.S. Army Veteran
Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Ford Explorer ST
Thread Starter #8
Maybe this will help:

Oh how I wish. I tried many variations of this trick too in the past but none worked. I tried this Volvo mirror trick just now in the garage multiple times. The other issue with my Explorer mirror is that seems to want to keep trying to pull the mirror past its closing point as well. I'm betting the gearing will shear off on ours soon and we'll have to replace the gear.

I also had a 2015 Hyundai Genesis sedan back in the day that this same problem started happening on. Also couldn't get the mirror to right itself with all of the tricks. Eventually the plastic mirror gears stripped and it stopped working completely. I remember spending about $2 or $3 for the plastic gear from China on eBay. Part came and I took the side mirror assembly for that car apart to install on my dining room table. Took 4 hours and there were over 40 screws (some near jewelry/watch/glasses size!) Very laborious but I was able to fix the whole thing.

One other trick I didn't consider was maybe doing a battery cable pull and resetting the electronics of the vehicle? That might reset the memory position for the mirror?

Reactions
Vehicle
2023 Explorer ST
Oh how I wish. I tried many variations of this trick too in the past but none worked. I tried this Volvo mirror trick just now in the garage multiple times. The other issue with my Explorer mirror is that seems to want to keep trying to pull the mirror past its closing point as well. I'm betting the gearing will shear off on ours soon and we'll have to replace the gear.

I also had a 2015 Hyundai Genesis sedan back in the day that this same problem started happening on. Also couldn't get the mirror to right itself with all of the tricks. Eventually the plastic mirror gears stripped and it stopped working completely. I remember spending about $2 or $3 for the plastic gear from China on eBay. Part came and I took the side mirror assembly for that car apart to install on my dining room table. Took 4 hours and there were over 40 screws (some near jewelry/watch/glasses size!) Very laborious but I was able to fix the whole thing.

One other trick I didn't consider was maybe doing a battery cable pull and resetting the electronics of the vehicle? That might reset the memory position for the mirror?
Anything in Forscan that could help reset the memory positions?

DawgsOnTop

Nurse
Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
Part came and I took the side mirror assembly for that car apart to install on my dining room table. Took 4 hours and there were over 40 screws (some near jewelry/watch/glasses size!) Very laborious but I was able to fix the whole thing.
Yes I had to do the identical rebuild for both side mirrors on our 2009 Tahoe. The plastic worm gear cracked along the shaft and would just spin and scream when pressing the fold button. Wasn’t expensive at all, but definitely not my idea of fun.

Explorer ST Posts