Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

Should I wait to purchase ZFG Tune?

Reactions
So I have the funds together for the ZFG stage 1 kit and the only thing holding me back is the time to install the new IC(Cvfab). My only mods are a drop in AEM filter. It may be spring before I'm able to do the install but I'm not patient. If I purchase the kit and just load up the tune is it worth it? Or should I just wait till I'm able to install the IC? Thanks in advance (y)

Last edited:

I Bleed Ford Blue

U.S. Navy Veteran
Reactions
Vehicle
23 Rapid Red Explorer ST
DO NOT load the tune before you install the IC. The tune is setup to allow higher boost #'s that the new IC will allow. If you try the run the IC tune with the stock IC, you could damage your engine.

OP
STupidExplorer
Reactions
Thread Starter #3
DO NOT load the tune before you install the IC. The tune is setup to allow higher boost #'s that the new IC will allow. If you try the run the IC tune with the stock IC, you could damage your engine.
Ok thanks my gut told me to verify I thought patience was the better option

UNBROKEN

4000 Post Club
Reactions
Just tell Adam what you’re doing…the tune he sends will be perfectly safe for the mods you have at the time.

FORZDA3

U.S. Air Force Veteran
Reactions
Vehicle
2021 Explorer ST
OMG people. The IC is NOT a hard requirement for the ZFG tune, 93 or E50. The IC allows the car to make the best power longer, but is not required to make peak power. The charge air temp is the key input to which Load table, Max, High, Med, or Low the ECU chooses to target and/or blend for your pedal command.

I Bleed Ford Blue

U.S. Navy Veteran
Reactions
Vehicle
23 Rapid Red Explorer ST
Just tell Adam what you’re doing…the tune he sends will be perfectly safe for the mods you have at the time.
True, but the OP said he was buying the stage 1 kit from ZFG so the tune would already be set up for the IC and I would not chance it with the stock IC.

I Bleed Ford Blue

U.S. Navy Veteran
Reactions
Vehicle
23 Rapid Red Explorer ST
OMG people. The IC is NOT a hard requirement for the ZFG tune, 93 or E50. The IC allows the car to make the best power longer, but is not required to make peak power. The charge air temp is the key input to which Load table, Max, High, Med, or Low the ECU chooses to target and/or blend for your pedal command.
I know, I ran my whipple IC on the stock tune for a few weeks until I got my ZFG tune. You don't need a tune to run an IC, but it's not a good idea to run a tune optimized for an aftermarket IC without the new IC. You can, but why chance it, especially if you have the new IC just waiting for install. That is what OP was asking.

OP
STupidExplorer
Reactions
Thread Starter #8
I appreciate all the feedback. The purchase of the Stage 1 kit was more or less to save a couple bucks in the long haul. I think communicating my current set up and future plans when I purchase will help with my situation. Thanks