Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

Sensor next to center rear view mirror

Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
I noticed this little sensor (camera?) above / behind the center rear view mirror just this weekend. Anyone know what this does?

Attachments

Pilzz

Reactions
That takes a picture of the speed signs for the adaptive cruise control

OP
S
Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
Thread Starter #3
it appears to be pointed towards the interior (driver side) of the car. Maybe it's a temperature sensor for climate control?

Reactions
I noticed this little sensor (camera?) above / behind the center rear view mirror just this weekend. Anyone know what this does?
They're watching us?!?!?!?!
Check out the other side, it has 2 sensors on it. Guessing one is to read the speed limit signs, other for auto head lights?

Reactions
The Explorer has a driver fatigue monitor...my guess is that is the camera that "watches" the driver for signs of fatigue. How it determines it, I'm not sure. :)

Hammy

Reactions
It appears to be a condensation/humidity sensor. The explorer and escape (kuga) have a feature called “windscreen weather station” which is to eliminate the windshield from fogging up. The system uses a series of sensors in the windshield (near the rear view mirror) to detect moisture in the air as well as any temperature changes on the windshield itself. It apparently also de-ices the window in seconds and optimizes the vehicles electrical efficiency by lowering the usage of the ac compressor. It seems to be designed for Europe but it’s probably a standard option across the board. From a production point of view it would be cheaper and easier to manufacture 1 version.

https://media.ford.com/content/ford...ar--fords-windscreen-weather-station-cle.html

https://fordauthority.com/2021/01/ford-windscreen-weather-station-gets-rid-of-human-created-fog-video/amp/

OP
S
Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
Thread Starter #7
nice, thanks!

Hammy

Reactions
The problem with the driver fatigue theory is the position. All of the infrared cameras that are utilized for driver fatigue are either in the cluster, driver a-pillar or on top the steering column. Ford utilizes something a little old school compared to the driver facing camera. It detects driver fatigue from bouncing off the lane keep assist too many times. Try it, act “fatigued” and nothing will happen but bounce off the lanes a few times and you’ll see the message on the cluster.

https://www.google.ca/amp/s/www.eng...tem-keeps-you-in-the-right-lane-recommen.html

Reactions
Vehicle
2020 ST
That takes a picture of the speed signs for the adaptive cruise control
How does it do that pointed at the floor? I think the road sign camera is on the windshield, facing forward.

Reactions
Vehicle
2020 ST
There's a tiny little sensor on the inside of the windshield, just outboard of the driver's side of the front-facing camera.