Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

Selling SHO, buying ST.

SPI Racing

Reactions
Hello to all.
My 2015 SHO is going to head to better pastures. It looks like the ST will take its place. I did a DiabloSport I Tune at 4k miles, she has 181,000 on her now. All on 93 gas. It was a simple plug and play. Worked perfect for my daily driver. The SHO is Not the PP. Just a standard SHO. No other mods.
Now my question. What is available for the ST? There will be no other mods! I have no issues running 93 gas.
Thank you.
Rick

TMac

1000 Post Club
Reactions
With no other mods, and 93 gas, and assuming you want as much bang for the buck as possible, you add a ZFG Racing custom tune. Results? At least one member here had dyno tested results of 100 hp over the stock dyno on 93 with no other modifications.

Autoworker

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Welcome to the forum. Sounds as if you got your money's worth from the Taurus. You'll enjoy the ST.

SOUTHFLST

U.S. Air Force Veteran
Reactions
Welcome. I had an PP SHO 3 cars ago. Thing was a beast. You will get more out of a tune from the 3.0 than you did from the SHO. Especially if you go with a good tune (ZFG).
903307D9-6932-46C1-B65B-EC5E55E08AF7.jpeg

Reactions
Welcome. Please dont make the mistake I did and get a five star tune, spend the extra money and go zfg. 180k on that sho is impressive. A lot of people wonder if a tune will hurt the powertrain but you've shown it doesn't bother it. Good luck.

Sent from my SM-N981U using Tapatalk

OP
SPI Racing

SPI Racing

Reactions
Thread Starter #6
So it looks like the zfg will be the way to go. Is it a simple plug and play for tech challenged dorks like me? Can someone please post a link for me?
Thank you.
Rick

Reactions
It's not too bad. You will need a laptop to log a few pulls to dial in the tune. Trust me, it is worth it. My st does 0-60 in 4 seconds. Adam is a great person to work with, I've had some issues with the shifting and he fixed it within a day or two. His tune is great and his customer service goes above and beyond. His base tune is leaps and bounds ahead of five star.

Reactions
I had a sho for 7 years and recently switched to an ST. Sho was gearhead tuned and went down the track 380 ish times.

I went with gearhead on the ST also, went from 13.76 stock to 12.53 just a 93 tune. Loved the SHO but I do not miss it one bit. The ST is everything it was and more. Good luck with yours!

st8

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Welcome. Please dont make the mistake I did and get a five star tune, spend the extra money and go zfg. 180k on that sho is impressive. A lot of people wonder if a tune will hurt the powertrain but you've shown it doesn't bother it. Good luck.

Why such an avoidance towards 5 star?

Reactions
Why such an avoidance towards 5 star?
Harsh shifting tranny issues, never been fully resolved going by other people's post. Also, ZFG tunes are just faster.

st8

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Harsh shifting tranny issues, never been fully resolved going by other people's post. Also, ZFG tunes are just faster.
Thanks. It seems whoever is in charge of zfg tunes is very in with the community and is always willing to help. As someone new to all of this, that is important to me as I’m sure I’ll have tons of questions.

Reactions
Thanks. It seems whoever is in charge of zfg tunes is very in with the community and is always willing to help. As someone new to all of this, that is important to me as I’m sure I’ll have tons of questions.
Yeah, Adam is great! He's usually pretty fast and good at responding back. If for any reason he doesnt, have patience or try later. Tuning is his side job

OP
SPI Racing
Reactions
Thread Starter #13
I pulled the trigger and ordered my ST yesterday.
Question, will the ST have to go on a dyno for a ZFG tune? I guess I'm looking for an idiot resistant plug and play. Also, what is the ballpark pricing on this?

Reactions
Hi Rick,
I put my 2010 SHO in the garage. She has 115k miles and had had stage 4 Livernois tune since 36k. It's #149 of 199 made in cinnamon, and I usually place in car shows, so I'm keeping it. I did have the timing chain and water pump rebuilt, and ptu replaced at 100k. However, still on original turbos.
It was a fun car, but like others said, this ST is all that and more. I really feel this ST handles better and the four wheel drive is definitely better. Both are in the 4.0 sec range, which is enough to be a sleeper. Hands down, I'm pleased with my ST.
I went with the 5Star tune as they gave me a deal at a car show last summer. Around 12k miles with that tune and all good.

Reactions
I own a 2010 SHO and a 2021 ST. You will love the ST. Coming from owning a SHO you probably recognize Gearhead Tuning. Matt Robinson got off to kind of a slower start tuning the STs but now there are a couple of us tuned by Gearhead. You should already know all he did in the SHO community already and what he brings to the tuning table. Check out the @gearheadtuning Facebook group or the Gearhead sales page. I went from 14.1 completely stock to 12.7 just on a e35-e40 tune only here in Colorado at high altitude.

OP
SPI Racing
Reactions
Thread Starter #16
Gentlemen, My ST still has no delivery date as of yet. Insiders here in Detroit say at least another 2 months. Ford has been sending me emails on the delays.

Chaseg08

U.S. Navy Veteran
Reactions
I pulled the trigger and ordered my ST yesterday.
Question, will the ST have to go on a dyno for a ZFG tune? I guess I'm looking for an idiot resistant plug and play. Also, what is the ballpark pricing on this?
No dyno needed. The process is pretty simple and straight forward. I did it all through my phone. On my third data log/revision now and I couldn't be more happy with ZFG. Check out ZFG Racing's website. A tune will cost you about 830 bucks if you don't have an RTD or MP12 (hp tuners) device. It's worth it.
Hope you hear about your delivery soon. Your patience will be rewarded!

OP
SPI Racing
Reactions
Thread Starter #18
Well, I got a build date of Sept 5. So I should have it by Oct 1st or so.

Explorer ST Posts