Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

"See Manual", Temp Limp Mode on Launch

butt_yodel

U.S. Air Force Veteran
Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Explorer ST
Having trouble lately launching aggressively in sport mode. With the colder weather, the vehicle seems to be launching much harder than it was in the summer, which is great, but my transmission is cutting off or something during first or second gear. My gearing icon disappears completely, and it happened for the third time this morning (rather predictably), and this time I received a "see manual" warning on the dash, as well as a wrench icon. The vehicle was in limp mode. The condition cleared after restarting the car. I'm running a ZFG 91 tune.. BUT have mixed a tank of 93 fuel. I'm not sure what's happening here, but I'm guessing something's up with the transmission, OR traction control is causing issues, even though I have it off (ADVANCETRAC OFF - long press). I'm getting quite a bit of spin/wheel hop in this weather. It almost seems like it may be over-revving too, as the condition I'm experiencing is very similar to when my dumb ass forgets to shift in manual mode. I'm in auto, of course. Issue happens even without a brake boost.

Trying to get codes/data logs, but the TDN app has been more or less worthless for the last couple of weeks. Going to keep trying to capture logs after work, but until then, issue is open to thoughts. Is putting 93 in a ZFG 91 tune a bad idea?

TMac

1000 Post Club
Reactions
This has been discussed in the other thread. One thing we know for sure is that colder air will generate more power. I don't think it has anything to do with the 91 vs 93 octane.
https://www.explorerst.org/threads/hard-launch-transmission-disengages.4379/post-58801
If you get the "wrench" again, you can bet there are DTCs that can be pulled which ought to point you in the right direction.

OP
butt_yodel

butt_yodel

U.S. Air Force Veteran
Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Explorer ST
Thread Starter #3
This has been discussed in the other thread. One thing we know for sure is that colder air will generate more power. I don't think it has anything to do with the 91 vs 93 octane.
https://www.explorerst.org/threads/hard-launch-transmission-disengages.4379/post-58801
If you get the "wrench" again, you can bet there are DTCs that can be pulled which ought to point you in the right direction.
Thanks man. Hanging in there for when my TDN/RTD+ can manage to pull codes or datalog. Functionality has been an absolute mess since the new iOS.

TMac

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Thanks man. Hanging in there for when my TDN/RTD+ can manage to pull codes or datalog. Functionality has been an absolute mess since the new iOS.
Those codes are still stored, you can go to most part stores who will pull the codes using a regular DTC reader.

OP
butt_yodel

butt_yodel

U.S. Air Force Veteran
Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Explorer ST
Thread Starter #5
Managed to pull it after resetting my RTD+. I posted on the other thread but can't figure out how to delete this one.

troublecode.png

Last edited: