Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

SECOND ROW CUPHOLDERS BETWEEN CAPTAINS CHAIRS

Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Explorer ST
Hello everyone, my wife and I recently received our 2022 explorer that we have waited about 9 months, upon receiving our explorer we noticed the second row doesn't have the cupholder insert in between the captains chairs. However they did give us fold cupholders behind the front center console. I am a technician at Lithia Ford in Boise, IDAHO and from my experience those cupholder like to break. We really enjoyed our center cupholder between the captains chairs in our 2020 explorer ST. In my experience I have found that Ford often times with discontinue certain features or trim pieces and still leave holes and this is no different. I order the bracket, mounting bolts and cupholder tray from a 2020 explorer St. I then removed both second row seats and to my amazement found that the holes are still in the floor, you have to cut your carpet to fit the bracket but after that its a breeze we also burned the carpet that we cut to keep from fraying, total install time was around an hour and a half for me and the best part was I just used my ford pass points to pay for it. below I have included pictures. IMG_4100.jpg IMG_4102.jpg IMG_4099.jpg IMG_4101.jpg

Reactions
Vehicle
2021 Explorer ST
thats weird cup holder on the floor? I bought mine with a bench in back so never seen that before. My wifes 2018 platinum had center consul in front and back with cup holder ect
My kids actually like the bench better. We also used to push a button and the seats or seat would move out of your way so you could get in 3rd row. I was surprised the newer ST didn't have that or the button
in back for 3rd row either.

Reactions
Vehicle
2021 Explorer ST Carbonized Gray
Nice write up, thanks for sharing. My wife and I were just in Boise last weekend with our '21 ST it was a really nice trip (except for the mormon crickets on the way home!). Enjoy your ST!

GearHead_1

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Vehicle
Exploder
61-oz6bj1FL._AC_SL1200_.jpg

Jeffn777

Law Enforcement
Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Ford Explorer
chase.burton, Thanks for the great post. I had ordered the parts previously and have been looking for some insight before I took on the project. Quick question, how many bolts are required for the install? When I opened the box for the base there are clearly four holes that appear to accept bolts. When I ordered the parts, the parts diagram indicated only one bolt was required. Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks, Jeff

OP
C
Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Explorer ST
Thread Starter #6
chase.burton, Thanks for the great post. I had ordered the parts previously and have been looking for some insight before I took on the project. Quick question, how many bolts are required for the install? When I opened the box for the base there are clearly four holes that appear to accept bolts. When I ordered the parts, the parts diagram indicated only one bolt was required. Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks, Jeff
Im sorry for the late response but yes four bolts are required

OP
C
Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Explorer ST
Thread Starter #7
Thanks, Jeff
below I have attached parts list.

Attachments

Reactions
Vehicle
2020 ST
Nice write up, thanks for sharing. My wife and I were just in Boise last weekend with our '21 ST it was a really nice trip (except for the mormon crickets on the way home!). Enjoy your ST!
For us, it's lovebugs in the Spring & Fall.

Relsoc

Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Ford Explorer limited
below I have attached parts list.
Chase. I’m taking on this same project for my limited. Thank you for paving a path for the rest of us. I’m wondering if you could answer a couple of questions I have. One, I noticed you used 2 different part numbers for the mounting bolts. When I look up the parts online it only lists one part number for all 4 mounting holes into the bracket. Also, did you just trace the bracket and then cut the carpet or did you make a template. The only thing that worries me is screwing up my carpet. Lol
thanks again! Looking forward to hearing from you. Mike

OP
C
Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Explorer ST
Thread Starter #10
Chase. I’m taking on this same project for my limited. Thank you for paving a path for the rest of us. I’m wondering if you could answer a couple of questions I have. One, I noticed you used 2 different part numbers for the mounting bolts. When I look up the parts online it only lists one part number for all 4 mounting holes into the bracket. Also, did you just trace the bracket and then cut the carpet or did you make a template. The only thing that worries me is screwing up my carpet. Lol
thanks again! Looking forward to hearing from you. Mike
I did use two different bolts, two bolts are longer and I believe they go in the back of the bracket. I kind of traced the bracket based on the location of the wholes that are in the floor, once the back seats are removed you can stick your hand under the carpet and feel where the factory put tape over the holes in the floor. What I did was start my cutting little pieces at a time that way I didn’t over kill it. One tip though is once you cut the carpet before installing bracket make sure to use a torch or heat gun to the carpet edges to keep the clean look. You got this, once you are in there you will realize it’s not to bad at all. Just be careful removing the seats, you don’t want to scratch your door panels as though as very expensive.

Relsoc

Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Ford Explorer limited
I did use two different bolts, two bolts are longer and I believe they go in the back of the bracket. I kind of traced the bracket based on the location of the wholes that are in the floor, once the back seats are removed you can stick your hand under the carpet and feel where the factory put tape over the holes in the floor. What I did was start my cutting little pieces at a time that way I didn’t over kill it. One tip though is once you cut the carpet before installing bracket make sure to use a torch or heat gun to the carpet edges to keep the clean look. You got this, once you are in there you will realize it’s not to bad at all. Just be careful removing the seats, you don’t want to scratch your door panels as though as very expensive.
Awesome. Thank you for all the great information! Yes, I know all about scratching door panels. I accidentally did that pulling the seats on my f150. Thankfully it wasn’t too bad.

Bones

Reactions
Great article. How much would you say the bucket seat weighs a piece?

Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Ford Explorer ST
Nice. Did you add sound deadening materials as long as everything was taken out?

Deere78

Reactions
Vehicle
2022 explorer limited
I planned on doing mine myself. My wife on the other hand said take it to the dealer. It’s her car so here I am. 4.5 hours at $145 in labor plus $176 in parts. They took the front seats and second row out. Pulled the carpet to cut it and put it all back. I gave them pictures and tips from this forum. The tech didn’t listen I guess.

Last edited:

Cdubya

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
I planned on doing mine myself. My wife on the other hand said take it to the dealer. It’s her car so here I am. 4.5 hours at $145 in labor plus $176 in parts. They took the front seats and second row out. Pulled the carpet to cut it and out it all back. I have them pictures and tips from this forum. The tech didn’t listen I guess.
Dayemmm! That's one expensive floor console!

Deere78

Reactions
Vehicle
2022 explorer limited
Dayemmm! That's one expensive floor console!
Service manager only charged me three hours instead of the 4.5 hours it took. He said since him and I talked ahead of time and agreed it would prob be three hours he wasn’t gonna charge me the extra time. I said since it only took chase 1.5 hours it would take the shop double that.

Deere78

Reactions
Vehicle
2022 explorer limited
Sad part is what does it cost Ford to leave it in there or make it an option? It’s some plastic. No chips. Is plastic hard to get now too?

DaveG ST

U.S. Army Veteran
Reactions
I have a 2020, but was still wondering if this could be installed with the seats still in the vehicle?

Deere78

Reactions
Vehicle
2022 explorer limited
I have a 2020, but was still wondering if this could be installed with the seats still in the vehicle?
I would say no. I had the dealer install mine. They removed the front and second row seats. Bare minimum the second row needs to be removed. It would be difficult to cut the carpet and install the rear bolts on the console bracket with the seats still installed.