Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

WTB Scam Alert

Cajun Heat

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Explorer ST
Beware everyone.

I posted a request here wanting to buy some Steeda springs a while back. Yesterday I received an email from thomaspeterson0561@gmail.com letting me know that Explorer St member hifom29697 started a new conversation with me. The message read...

"[SCAMMER ALERT] in getting a nice Steeda lowering springs,[SCAMMER ALERT] that for sale for decent price. [SCAMMER ALERT] him up for price and pictures if still interested. thomaspeterson0561@gmail.com [SCAMMER ALERT] Sent from my SM-G925P using Tapatalk".

I did email the @thomas and they replied back with some picture of some Steeda springs clamming perfect condition, a price $225 delivered anywhere in the country. I did a quick web search on that email address and low and behold they are hacking multiple forums doing the same thing.

Remember, if it sounds to good to be true means it probably is.

STFan

Administrator
Reactions
That's the reason why we put rules in place for members to post pictures of what they are selling in the open. We do try our best to block and ban these members from Nigeria but they still get through every so often.

CareerFiremanGuy

1000 Post Club
Firefighter/EMT
Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Ford Explorer ST
The only time I ever got involved in a forum's classifieds is when the other person was close enough for a meet up.

Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
Just got 2 messages from scammers. Please look
out for Scotterfoxes and johnmd231. They both told me to contact people with gmail accounts to buy parts. The searched both gmail accounts and were both flagged as scammers on other forums. Please watch out!

STFan

Administrator
Reactions
Just got 2 messages from scammers. Please look
out for Scotterfoxes and johnmd231. They both told me to contact people with gmail accounts to buy parts. The searched both gmail accounts and were both flagged as scammers on other forums. Please watch out!
Can you please forward me their message to you?

Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
I ignored both and left the conversations. Is there a way to get those messages back?

STFan

Administrator
Reactions
I ignored both and left the conversations. Is there a way to get those messages back?
Unfortunately no, once you leave it, it's automatically deleted. But I've banned both accounts.

SYNERGY

Reactions
Vehicle
2020 ST
Screenshot_20220603-181839_Samsung Internet.jpg

SYNERGY

Reactions
Vehicle
2020 ST
It's the second time its happened in a few days. They delete the conversation after a few hours. This second time I took a screenshot before it disappeared. Really fishy when the accounts are made the same day plus having to email someone. BS! That's the risk we take when posting a WTB thread I guess.

STFan

Administrator
Reactions
If they are not replying to your thread but instead sending PMs then please report them.

SYNERGY

Reactions
Vehicle
2020 ST
Found the email for first scam attempt. Screenshot_20220603-224142_Yahoo Mail.jpg

STFan

Administrator
Reactions
Found the email for first scam attempt. View attachment 12689
Thank you, I'm seeing the same pattern as the OP. I'll add it to the alert whenever someone attempts to send similar messages.

SYNERGY

Reactions
Vehicle
2020 ST
If they are not replying to your thread but instead sending PMs then please report them.
First one replied to my thread n then deleted message along with the conversation. Can I report from the conversation screen? If so I'll check next time and give it a try.

STFan

Administrator
Reactions
First one replied to my thread n then deleted message along with the conversation. Can I report from the conversation screen? If so I'll check next time and give it a try.
It’s ok what you posted here is good