Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

Sales advice

Reactions
Hi all,

I purchased my ST in February 2021. Oregon DMV is pretty backed up so still no registration. I’m on a trip permit as I bought the truck in WA. Fast forward to today, got a rather tempting offer from a dealer to sell straight out. The dealer says that they will pay off the ST, they have to wait for the title, then they will write me a check for the equity. It could be up to 30 days or more. So, I give my ST to the dealer, and wait for my equity. That seems weird. Dealer says that they cannot legally sell a vehicle until they have the title in hand. I find that hard to believe, as a dealer sold my Raptor, when I was purchasing my 2021 Tremor, while I was sitting there. Person drove away with it the next day.

Minus the DMV issue, is that true? Do folks just give the dealer their car and wait? I’m sure the dealer is going to post and sell as fast as they can. I’d also be worried about dealer going out of business, or something like that and being screwed.

thoughts?

TMac

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Not enough info. Why would you even want to sell? Is the dealer who wants to buy it in Oregon and is he a Ford dealer? Whoever the dealer is, he likely has a buyer lined up who wants your specific features. Sounds like you're definitely in the power position, so tell them to do a bill of sale and hand over the money and they can work out the title issues without involving you. No way I'd let them hang onto the money for 30 days. Unless you were desperate to get rid of it?

OP
Bryantbjb
Reactions
Thread Starter #3
Not enough info. Why would you even want to sell? Is the dealer who wants to buy it in Oregon and is he a Ford dealer? Whoever the dealer is, he likely has a buyer lined up who wants your specific features. Sounds like you're definitely in the power position, so tell them to do a bill of sale and hand over the money and they can work out the title issues without involving you. No way I'd let them hang onto the money for 30 days. Unless you were desperate to get rid of it?
That’s my feeling as well. Used trucks and cars are in super high demand here. I’m even wondering about insurance. Who covers that while we all wait.

Reactions
With the Raptor situation was the title in your hand or with your lienholder, is the issue with the DMV with registration or with issuing the title to your lienholder?

OP
Bryantbjb
Reactions
Thread Starter #5
With the Raptor, title was with the bank. Current issue is the Dealer holding the paperwork, and Oregon DMV just being really slow. When I asked another dealer about the wait until title in hand they said “that’s what the law says, but most don’t follow because they want to sell fast.”

Reactions
Yeah usually with the title there is a power of attorney where they can payoff the lien in your behalf and have the title transferred as I just went thru this on the trade in. I would tell them to buy it outright from you and tell them to take it or leave it.

Sounds like with the title not issued they are protecting their interest, if you can wait and want to get out of the ST right now is a good time.

Used prices are crazy, got a sweet deal on my Raptor before xmas, 2019 802A, with custom wheels, borla atak, BOV, 19K miles, for 61k. Now I see these trucks going for 78k, bone stock with 45k miles.

Good time if you are coming out on top and once the chip shortage catches up would be good to go and get a new one.

Reactions
On a seperate note, how was the transition from the Raptor to Tremor? I was consider Tremor as I wanted diesel, but I couldnt find a dealer to play ball.

OP
Bryantbjb
Reactions
Thread Starter #8
It’s great. I really enjoyed the Raptor, however, I was not using it how it was built. No Baja or stuff like that. We also wanted to start towing. All good here!

Reactions
Haha i dont use it the way its intended either.