Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

RTD+ Does not recognize ECU?

OK ST

U.S. Navy Veteran
Reactions
I purchased an HP Tuners RTD+ from ZFG and following the instructions from ZFG's website, I went to Read the ECU file and got this message: "Controllers Not Supported or Not Identified. You may need to use the VCM Editor for this vehicle"
Anyone else run into this and know why I'm getting this message and how to work around it?

Cruising68

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Try the beta version, it has more current updates. I use the MPVI2+ and I had a problem where it did not know what ECM I was running. Emailed tech support and they took a log file from my PC and fixed it in a new beta release.

OP
O

OK ST

U.S. Navy Veteran
Reactions
Thread Starter #3
I'm not using a PC I'm using my Galaxy S20. The phone connects to the RTD and I was able to download the latest firmware, it just won't recognize the "vehicle" it's connected to.

Cruising68

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Got it. Sorry, can't offer anything else.

OP
O

OK ST

U.S. Navy Veteran
Reactions
Thread Starter #5
For anyone else that experiences this in the future I used a laptop with the RTD+ and got my OEM file and sent it to ZFG. Since doing so the RTD+ now can read, write and data log via bluetooth and I don't need the laptop anymore.

Shiver

Reactions
Vehicle
2021 explorer st
Documents/hptuners/logs and tunes

There is only one sample folder there

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Shiver

Reactions
Vehicle
2021 explorer st
Do I need to choose hardware?

Cruising68

1000 Post Club
Reactions
RTD may be different. I connect and select read. Get a popup confirming ecu then asks for name of file. On previous software version i had to select the ecu

Shiver

Reactions
Vehicle
2021 explorer st
RTD may be different. I connect and select read. Get a popup confirming ecu then asks for name of file. On previous software version i had to select the ecu

Do you know your hardware?

Reactions
Vehicle
(2) 2021 Explorer ST (White & Carbonized Grey)
Is this done? So where is his file.
I'm in the same boat with a brand new RTD+. The app on my phone says "controllers not supported or not identified" so I try to use RTD Flasher on my laptop. If I just click read it says no controller and does nothing. Click read again and I get to the screen you showed. If I pick a random Ford controller from the hardware list it does the expected 20 scan/download process and then prompts me to turn the car off/on and then I can save the file, but obviously this doesn't seem right.

How can I find which controller I should actually select from that list? The instructions are pretty clear but if it doesn't go exactly as expected there's very little info to be found about what to do next.

Edit, also tested VCM Editor and it just says Unsupported Interface and there's no option to do anything else.

Last edited:

Shiver

Reactions
Vehicle
2021 explorer st
I'm in the same boat with a brand new RTD+. The app on my phone says "controllers not supported or not identified" so I try to use RTD Flasher on my laptop. If I just click read it says no controller and does nothing. Click read again and I get to the screen you showed. If I pick a random Ford controller from the hardware list it does the expected 20 scan/download process and then prompts me to turn the car off/on and then I can save the file, but obviously this doesn't seem right.
M
How can I find which controller I should actually select from that list? The instructions are pretty clear but if it doesn't go exactly as expected there's very little info to be found about what to do next.

Edit, also tested VCM Editor and it just says Unsupported Interface and there's no option to do anything else.
me too. :(

Cruising68

1000 Post Club
Reactions
The beta software solved the pick an ecu problem

Shiver

Reactions
Vehicle
2021 explorer st

do you have a link.

Reactions
Vehicle

I was using the beta version of VCM Suite, no luck. I asked Adam if he has any advice, maybe he has some ideas.

Shiver

Reactions
Vehicle
2021 explorer st
I was using the beta version of VCM Suite, no luck. I asked Adam if he has any advice, maybe he has some ideas.
waiting for your good news.

Reactions
Vehicle
I haven't really made any progress with this but Adam did say that the file I sent* was valid and encouraged me to load the baseline and log some data. Unfortunately I didn't get the xml file with the baseline so it doesn't seem like I can do anything for now.

*I manually selected a Ford near the bottom of the list in the Hardware drop-down, I think it referenced 2019+ in the name but I'll get a screen shot when I can. If that produced a valid base tune file for mine it'll probably work for yours.

Today my TDN app for Android got and update so I gave that another shot. It updated the RTD+ and when I click Read Vehicle is does a bunch of stuff it wasn't doing last time, but then still fails with the "controllers not supported or not identified" error.

So far my experience with this has been 100% negative but I'm still hoping that it's worth it in the end.

Shiver

Reactions
Vehicle
2021 explorer st
I haven't really made any progress with this but Adam did say that the file I sent* was valid and encouraged me to load the baseline and log some data. Unfortunately I didn't get the xml file with the baseline so it doesn't seem like I can do anything for now.

*I manually selected a Ford near the bottom of the list in the Hardware drop-down, I think it referenced 2019+ in the name but I'll get a screen shot when I can. If that produced a valid base tune file for mine it'll probably work for yours.

Today my TDN app for Android got and update so I gave that another shot. It updated the RTD+ and when I click Read Vehicle is does a bunch of stuff it wasn't doing last time, but then still fails with the "controllers not supported or not identified" error.

So far my experience with this has been 100% negative but I'm still hoping that it's worth it in the end.
TC-298B,2019+ Ford is correct,I finished it today.