Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

Roof Rail is fading

Jamackabi

Reactions
Hey guys, tried searching through previous posts but couldn't see anything similar. Has anyone had issues with their roof rails fading? On my passenger side roof rail, the very front is faded so much it almost looks like it's been spray painted white. I'll try and grab a picture next time I run out to the car. Was just curious if I was the only one.

I've had the ST for 11 months now, so I'm wondering whether it's worth trying to get a warranty claim for a paint defect or something, even though they don't appear to be painted.

UNBROKEN

4000 Post Club
Reactions
It’s bare plastic. Get a bottle of Back to Black at the parts store, spend 5 minutes wiping it on and go on about your life.

Autoworker

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Seems unusual that it’s faded badly in that amount of time. Won’t hurt to show the dealer where you bought it. If it’s not warranted maybe you can buy a replacement.

OP
J

Jamackabi

Reactions
Thread Starter #4
It’s bare plastic. Get a bottle of Back to Black at the parts store, spend 5 minutes wiping it on and go on about your life.
I hear what you’re saying, but I don’t think it’s as simple as spraying on a bit of Back to Black and hoping for the best. It’s completely lost it’s color, rather than looking a little dull (where Back to Black would work perfectly). I’ve attached a picture.

I’m not going to lose any sleep over it, just seemed strange to me as I’ve never experienced it before on vehicles with roof rails. It’s only on the passenger side too.

CBEE4680-B8AD-4C16-8E87-264F7846F546.jpeg

F=MA

Reactions
Kind of looks like white or silver overspray got sprayed on the part before it was installed.

OP
J

Jamackabi

Reactions
Thread Starter #6
Kind of looks like white or silver overspray got sprayed on the part before it was installed.
Yeah you’re right, it does look like that. I’ve looked through old photos of the car and it definitely wasn’t there when we bought it. I’ll see what the dealer thinks next time I’m in for an oil change, I’m pretty lucky that my local Ford dealer are actually really helpful.

Autoworker

1000 Post Club
Reactions
After looking at your picture, I went out and did the old tapety-tap on ours. It's metal! Our '20 is a gloss black, yours looks like a matte finish. Something the dealers body shop can spray. (y)

OP
J

Jamackabi

Reactions
Thread Starter #8
After looking at your picture, I went out and did the old tapety-tap on ours. It's metal! Our '20 is a gloss black, yours looks like a matte finish. Something the dealers body shop can spray. (y)
Well, shoot. I had just assumed it was plastic. It’ll be interesting to see if the dealers can do anything. If not, I’ll look into buying a replacement part. Honestly I wouldn’t care at all if everything else on the car wasn’t black. This sticks out like a sore thumb.

Cdubya

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
I would think that would be an warranty issue.

2manycars4me

U.S. Navy Veteran
Reactions
Vehicle
2023 Durango SRT Hellcat
I'd push to get it painted in place. I think they have to pull the headliner to get to the bolts holding it in. Been thru a few headliners on a previous vehicle, took months to get the overspray glue off of everyhing.

Autoworker

1000 Post Club
Reactions
I'd push to get it painted in place. I think they have to pull the headliner to get to the bolts holding it in. Been thru a few headliners on a previous vehicle, took months to get the overspray glue off of everyhing.
I agree. Mask off all around and maybe rattle can it.

Reactions
I have the same exact problem on my 2021, and it's just on the passenger side like the one in the picture.

Miker/t

U.S. Air Force Veteran
Reactions
I just noticed the same thing on the rear drivers side

hbalek

Reactions
I just noticed the same thing on the rear drivers side
Do you guys go to the carwash? My last vehicle 2013 MKZ had gloss black trim on the roof which started to fade in less than 3 years. I noticed on my 2020 ST, my wheels are losing their shine and getting minor scratches from the carwash.

OP
J

Jamackabi

Reactions
Thread Starter #16
Yeah no car wash here either, always hand washed it.

Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
I go through a 'cloth' brush automatic carwash at least 1x per week ($30/month for all you want) and no issues with any scratches, fading, etc.

GearHead_1

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Vehicle
Exploder
Impossible to go through any automatic wash that touches your paint and not have spider webbing/micro marring in the paint. It may not bother some owners but whether it's a brush or hanging straps it is marring the paint.

Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
Impossible to go through any automatic wash that touches your paint and not have spider webbing/micro marring in the paint. It may not bother some owners but whether it's a brush or hanging straps it is marring the paint.
I haven't had any issues.. Resized_20211214_161604.jpeg

GearHead_1

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Vehicle
Exploder
I'm not trying to be rude and I mean no offense. Anyone can make even a dirty car look great in a photo. This is especially true on the shadow side of the car. I'll still maintain that if you're going through a carwash that touches your vehicle you have marring. There simply is no way around it.