Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

Retrofit Ambient Cupholder Lighting

Reactions
Has anyone tried to retrofit the ambient lighting cupholder that was found on the 20/21's and no longer available on the 22's? Does anyone know what parts would be needed and if there is existing wire?

OP
E
Reactions
Thread Starter #3

st8

1000 Post Club
Reactions
I did post it there as well. I saw they did it on the f150, but was hoping someone did it on the explorer and could guide me on what part #'s I need to order and a guide on how to do it.
Yeah I don’t think anyone has yet. Unfortunately.

Cajun Heat

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Explorer ST
Interested also.

TMac

1000 Post Club
Reactions
@GearHead_1 tried this and found the wiring harness doesn't exist anymore for the ambient lights. IIRC, another member reported he did find a way, but had to build his own harness for power and ground from another source.

Reactions
Not sure its helpful or not but I recently found this while playing with FORscan on my buddies 2021 f450 platinum. They also ditched ambient for 21 but the ability to enable the menus on Sync3 we're still present. I would assume the ST will be the same though I cant say for certain. I would think though if you can figure out how and where to make the connections or maybe even order the correct harness from Ford that you should be able to get it to work and function/

GearHead_1

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Vehicle
Exploder
@GearHead_1 tried this and found the wiring harness doesn't exist anymore for the ambient lights. IIRC, another member reported he did find a way, but had to build his own harness for power and ground from another source.
Indeed I did. I simply assumed my build was early enough in the year that connections would be present. No soap, now those pieces are sitting new on the shelf somewhere.

Reactions
It may be an odd suggestion but you could always look at copart and find a totaled ST and yank everything out of that. My only concern would be that a harness and replacement for the cupholder might not be all the parts you need. It could get expensive trying to go back and forth with the dealer buying more parts.

st8

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Anybody ever dig into this? Plenty of people doing it on the f150s. Seem if it’s possible on those vehicles it may be doable on the explorer. Not sure it’s worth taking things apart. I’m not very good with that stuff lol.

Cruising68

1000 Post Club
Reactions
I can't help solve this problem but thought I would share a chuckle. I got a new golf cart. Went for a drive and it had lighted cup holders. I immediately lol'ed and thought of my Explorer. Sure would be nice to have them in the ST!

st8

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Cheap looking or no? While not factory looking nor completely seamless, it was cheap and easy to do. Just see that one wire that is very small. I have black clips holding them right now. I could probably glue them as well. They turn on with the car and turn off after the cars off for about 25 min.

my wife said they look cheap because they’re not supposed to be there. But they are! Lol I guess she just isn’t a fan. I thought they looked okay for the cost and the effect they give but now she’s got my doubting lol

Attachments

Cruising68

1000 Post Club
Reactions
They look good....until you look close. Just My opinion.

st8

1000 Post Club
Reactions
They look good....until you look close. Just My opinion.
Yeah no you’re exactly right. I could probably glue them and avoid having to use the black clips. I did put the clips underneath the built in little black pieces that are in the cupholders. An effort to help hide them. But yeah otherwise I don’t know how else I’d make them look more seamless. Just a limitation of this kind of install without dismantling my interior and risk breaking stuff.

Cruising68

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Yeah no you’re exactly right. I could probably glue them and avoid having to use the black clips. I did put the clips underneath the built in little black pieces that are in the cupholders. An effort to help hide them. But yeah otherwise I don’t know how else I’d make them look more seamless. Just a limitation of this kind of install without dismantling my interior and risk breaking stuff.
What if you pulled the cup holders, wrapped them around the outside of the cup holder with possibly some small cutouts to let the light into the holder. Just a thought. You would get the cool lighting with no noticeable source.

st8

1000 Post Club
Reactions
What if you pulled the cup holders, wrapped them around the outside of the cup holder with possibly some small cutouts to let the light into the holder. Just a thought. You would get the cool lighting with no noticeable source.
Not sure how to remove the cupholders. Not sure how to take any of it apart.

Cruising68

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Looks like you have to remove the center console to get at the cup holders. It's not too bad is you have some mechanical skills. I did it when I emptied the interior to do sound deadening. If you are up for it there are videos.

st8

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Looks like you have to remove the center console to get at the cup holders. It's not too bad is you have some mechanical skills. I did it when I emptied the interior to do sound deadening. If you are up for it there are videos.
Yeah there were two videos that I saw that were pretty helpful actually. A few bolts each side and disconnection of a few cables. I’m okay with this stuff, but not great. I am curious if any of the cable hook ups are there and if you could take parts from another explorer that has them.

here are the videos if anyone is curious and would feel more comfortable than me lol