Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

Reposting for visibility - Watch this Video. What is this sound?

Reactions
Previously posted in Technical discussion repair sections of the forum. Reposting here for visibility. Please delete if it’s a problem.

Preface: love my ST. This is rare. If you’re reading this and looking to buy an ST then please do not consider this a complaint. I note that I don’t know of anyone else with this issue.

Hi guys and gals, I want to bring this to the attention of our tech savvy members who like a challenge. Watch the video and tell me what this sounds like?

- video is me toggling between normal and sport mode
- noise occurs at start up (no warm up required)
- only in sport mode
- only when idling (cannot hear it at speed)
- cannot hear it from inside vehicle
- No vibration or drivability concerns
- becomes extremely loud (embarrassing) after vehicle is warmed up
- most prominent on passenger side under footwell
- performance is not affected

It was previously mentioned that oil pressure changes in sport mode but this sounds like metal on metal. I’m stumped and so is Ford. Any thoughts?

- Bruce

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

UNBROKEN

4000 Post Club
Reactions
I’ve heard it’s a change in pressure in the trans in Sport mode. I think they all do it...mine definitely does.

Reactions
Mine does it too. You hear it when your in sport mode and in park. And when you step on the petal when in drive in sport. Took it to Ford and they said it was normal. They didn’t explain what it was or why it was doing it but they brought in two other ST’s and said they did this as well.
Let me know if you find out what Ford says the exact reason behind it.
Feels better knowing that I am not the only one that thinks I am crazy hearing something!

OP
Brucecris
Reactions
Thread Starter #4
Today I met up with [mention]sadeen [/mention] to exchange some parts. While doing so I compared his sport mode to mine. Mine is loud. I mean it’s flat out embarrassing. I am heading to the ship this week sometime and I’ll make my case. It may be normal, but not to the noise level that mine is.

And I’ll attempt to find out what it is - in detail. I’ll be back with more when I know.

Reactions
I'll be honest and say that I normally change to sport mode after starting and while driving out of the neighborhood. I've been in the passenger seat and had my wife change it to sport mode and I didn't notice any strange sounds or vibrations. It sounds like it's a bearing or gear noise...probably from the software change to the transmission when it goes from normal to sport. It would be interesting to find out if this is normal and now I need to pay more attention to see if I get the same sound. Keep us updated

2TonB

Reactions
Mine is a month and half old and sounds like that in normal mode. The transmission was replaced at 300 miles, and I did not notice the sound with the first trans. But your video made me "hear" the sound on mine. I was able to track down the area better thanks to you.

Nbk4t5e

Reactions
That and Throttle response I think ... but I’m no expert. Sport def changes the throttle like a sprint booster etc.....

Reactions
i have the exact same noise (2020 ST), not in sport mode, just normal mode cold start, crazy loud rattle. Dealer had it a week said, no codes, no issues, "its normal" they said .. :/ sheesh. mine also does it when downshifting from 3rd to 2nd to firsts gear at slow speed. i guess i wait until it blows up

Reactions
Has anybody with this rattle also disabled FENG?

OP
Brucecris
Reactions
Thread Starter #10
Has anybody with this rattle also disabled FENG?
I have not but what are you getting at? The noise is sourced from under the vehicle.

UNBROKEN

4000 Post Club
Reactions
Mine has started doing it in all modes…sounds like the Jetsons “car” sometimes. lol
It’s either the pump or a converter issue or both. I’ve noticed over the last few months I have to let mine idle for 20 seconds or so after it’s sat for a few days to fill the converter back up so it’ll move normally. The converter is definitely draining in mine. I’ve had the same issue with a few higher HP diesel trucks.
Whatever happens Ford definitely won’t be touching it…I’ll upgrade before I replace.

TMac

1000 Post Club
Reactions
I put a post out about the pump, but after re-reading the posts and a bit of further reflection, I think we're looking at two or three different problems. The case of sound being different in "sport" vs "normal" mode at idle is most likely the pump control solenoid. This is used to change the pressure of the fluid in the transmission which impacts the speed at which the shifts happen. When this part goes bad, you have bad downshifts, slow up shifts, etc. You also have other solenoids which control the fluid into the various shift bands/clutches to affect which gears are selected. We've all seen other threads and members who have had problems, so it's my bet that @Brucecris is probably experiencing a normal circumstance, (increase of fluid pressure) in sport mode, while those with problems are seeing associated problems with the failure of that solenoid, (or another). The post from @george3359 which is the rattle at idle regardless of trans mode is most likely the dreaded "cam phaser" issue.

Last edited:

TMac

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Went off to do a bit of research. There are TSBs you can look at:
20-2337
21-2046
20-2403
20-2305
20-2107

I included the ones that are most likely in the ST and don't necessarily throw a MIL- some are build date related. It would appear a preponderance of problems with the trans control solenoid.

Reactions
It’s difficult for me to define what I’m hearing in that video. I only posited that the source could be something to do with FENG, which I suspect is the source of the rumbling many of us get at cruise. Who knows where all the microphones are…? I was suspicious of the difference in sound with Normal/Sport selected and very interested in the shift solenoid Information. Love to get my hands on a factory repair manual but It’s probably on the web and unobtaineum.

I posted elsewhere that Ford is finally stepping up to the plate regarding FENG and active noise cancelling.

I really hope you are not joining the ranks of those suffering another transmission issue but if you are, at least they seem to know what to do.

Reactions
Ok i figure out my noise, see if this is yours....
My noise is RPM related.. just the right, lower RPM, just after a cold start or when slowing down, downshifting driving... i got the "the noise" to happen and i jump down on the ground and looked under the car.. one of the two flex pipes, driver side for me, running between the engine and muffler, was oscillating, shaking like crazy. i had someone tap the accelerator and the oscillations changes... we could adjust the RMP to just the right level and it shook and rattled almost on demand.. the pipes running between the engine and mufflers have some kind of flex coupling and its just not that strong... passenger side pipe was fine so i wonder if some of these connectors are just borderline weak... I let the car cool and i could tell by grabbing that drivers side pipe was a bit easier to move by hand...i'm considering some idea to strengthen that coupling...maybe even temporarily just to test the fix.. i hate dealing with the dealer, they said mine was "normal no error lights and no driving impact." .. but i did have a service consultant hear and see the shaking and said to bring the car back (I just couldn't leave it yesterday)

OP
Brucecris
Reactions
Thread Starter #16
Ok i figure out my noise, see if this is yours....
My noise is RPM related.. just the right, lower RPM, just after a cold start or when slowing down, downshifting driving... i got the "the noise" to happen and i jump down on the ground and looked under the car.. one of the two flex pipes, driver side for me, running between the engine and muffler, was oscillating, shaking like crazy. i had someone tap the accelerator and the oscillations changes... we could adjust the RMP to just the right level and it shook and rattled almost on demand.. the pipes running between the engine and mufflers have some kind of flex coupling and its just not that strong... passenger side pipe was fine so i wonder if some of these connectors are just borderline weak... I let the car cool and i could tell by grabbing that drivers side pipe was a bit easier to move by hand...i'm considering some idea to strengthen that coupling...maybe even temporarily just to test the fix.. i hate dealing with the dealer, they said mine was "normal no error lights and no driving impact." .. but i did have a service consultant hear and see the shaking and said to bring the car back (I just couldn't leave it yesterday)
So I had the flex pipe noise as well. I actually had it fixed (twice) and then I just bought the thermal midpipes and it was cured. To be clear, this “noise” is different. It’s from the transmission. I think some of the previous replies are spot on and getting closer.

Your noise is absolutely the flex pipe and this is a known flaw that the only cure will be a replacement set of midpipes (say from Thermal). I will also say that when I added the Thermal mids, the ST went from feeling loose to feeling much tighter. This was because of the sheer amount of flex and movement that my OEM exhaust/flex pipes allowed. It was an incredible difference.

Reactions
ok sorry, these boats have many noises i guess,
what are and where can i get a thermal mid-pipe to resolve my noise??
Thanks.

OP
Brucecris
Reactions
Thread Starter #18
ok sorry, these boats have many noises i guess,
what are and where can i get a thermal mid-pipe to resolve my noise??
Thanks.
Whoosh Motorsports is the only place to get a thermal R&D midpipes. You won’t be sorry.

Reactions
Ok great, thanks.. what lese will the whoosh thermal mid-pipes do besides eliminate the rattle???

Reactions
I talked to whoosh, he said putting a hose clamp around the stock mid-pip's, mesh flex point will solve the rattle i am experiencing.. just adding this to the forum since i didn't find it here.