Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

Replacement exhaust….that’s quiet

Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Ford Explorer, ST
OK I know I’m going to get blasted out of the waters by you sound technicians.
But I want to replace my exhaust with a very good aftermarket system that doesn’t make any noise. Yes no noise and I don’t need any snide remarks. And no, I’m not keeping the existing system because it’s worthless scrap.
When I want the noise I sit in my original owner 76 Pontiac formula running flowmaster force II system on my 400ci V8

With that said, can anyone recommend a cat back system? Honestly, I am in NYC more times than not and I can’t afford the noise at 2 o’clock in the morning with approximately 50 three family homes within 1000 feet of me. I would literally get shot.

TMac

1000 Post Club
Reactions
So what are your goals? Do you think replacing the existing exhaust, even if you find a "quiet" one that you'll gain performance? What is it about the existing exhaust that causes you to conclude "it's worthless scrap"?

UNBROKEN

4000 Post Club
Reactions
So what are your goals? Do you think replacing the existing exhaust, even if you find a "quiet" one that you'll gain performance? What is it about the existing exhaust that causes you to conclude "it's worthless scrap"?
He’s probably got one of the ones that falling apart at the seams. lol
I can understand to want for aftermarket if that’s the case I just don’t know of any that are actually quiet.

OP
Greywolf
Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Ford Explorer, ST
Thread Starter #4
He’s probably got one of the ones that falling apart at the seams. lol
I can understand to want for aftermarket if that’s the case I just don’t know of any that are actually quiet.
That is exactly the issue. I’m not looking for sound I’m not looking to beat six or 700 hp out of this, 400 - 450 hp. It is more than enough for me for my needs. I just want a reliable exhaust system that will not give me problems in the near future when it will put me a disadvantage. I like being proactive.

Dale5403

1000 Post Club
Reactions
That is exactly the issue. I’m not looking for sound I’m not looking to beat six or 700 hp out of this, 400 - 450 hp. It is more than enough for me for my needs. I just want a reliable exhaust system that will not give me problems in the near future when it will put me a disadvantage. I like being proactive.
You might need to check with a good exhaust shop near you. Explain to them what your looking for and I would think they could help you out.

TMac

1000 Post Club
Reactions
I've never seen any posts of anyone reporting the exhaust as failing. Certainly aware of downpipe/cat weld problems, but not the rest of the stock exhaust.

UNBROKEN

4000 Post Club
Reactions
I've never seen any posts of anyone reporting the exhaust as failing. Certainly aware of downpipe/cat weld problems, but not the rest of the stock exhaust.
The FB groups are full of posts showing them literally falling apart. Seen plenty where the tailpipes broke off, or the welds in front of the main muffler breaking in half…in addition to the well known expansion joint issues.

thenewguy

Reactions
I can tell you a replacement that will be quiet, but if youre like me, youd be like, ok i like the lower revs but it tends to get a little too quiet in the higher revs, maybe i should tweak it to get a hair more sound, then its something else and youve ended up spending more than what catbacks go for lol. For a start, remove mufflers and see how you like it. Literally have the shop cut them off and drive like that before you have them weld a pipe in. If you think theyre too much, grab a couple of vibrant ultra quiet resonators and put them in place of the mufflers and see how that is. Youll have to play with some setups so really get the feel for it in person and living with it on the daily (cold starts, highway drives, short drives, low/high revs noise, etc...)

Reactions
If you want relatively quiet while taking the stock resonator and the breaking weld issues out of play, the MRT H-pipe is the way to go. Adds a nice little rumble but has no drone and won’t annoy you or anyone at all. Easy to install as well.