Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

Remote Start + garage door

KegsBdry

Reactions
Is there a way to set up the garage door to open when the vehicle remote starts (and vice versa)?

I park my car in the garage, and I would like to remotely start it without filling the garage full of carbon monoxide.

CapTom

U.S. Army Veteran
Firefighter/EMT
Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
I'm pretty sure the remote start and garage door opener are on completely different frequencies, so probably not. But, I simply took a garage door remote and mounted it to the wall in my kitchen. I can open, and close, the garage door from inside the house.

Reactions
Not with the car. The HomeLink system is not integrated to Sync.

However, you could use the Ford App/Key combined with the garage opener app to start the car and open the door. If you don’t have a garage app, I’d suggest getting the Chamberlain Hub which works with most garage doors.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

QwikEVO

Active Duty U.S. Air Force
Reactions
May I ask why you need to remote start your vehicle in the garage?

OP
KegsBdry

KegsBdry

Reactions
Thread Starter #5
May I ask why you need to remote start your vehicle in the garage?
Good question...In the winter and in the summer, it'd be nice if the car was comfortable. Do you know anyone that has an insulated garage?

OP
KegsBdry

KegsBdry

Reactions
Thread Starter #6
Not with the car. The HomeLink system is not integrated to Sync.

However, you could use the Ford App/Key combined with the garage opener app to start the car and open the door. If you don’t have a garage app, I’d suggest getting the Chamberlain Hub which works with most garage doors.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Thank you for the advice. I'll take a look at Chamberlain hub for garage doors with an app.

QwikEVO

Active Duty U.S. Air Force
Reactions
Good question...In the winter and in the summer, it'd be nice if the car was comfortable. Do you know anyone that has an insulated garage?
I assume our levels of comfort are vastly different. I've never had an insulated garage.

Reactions
My Q is a chamberlain app that works with several garage door openers

Reactions
this question made so much sense to me, and then i remembered my garage is insulated and climate controlled.. still interested in a solution.. put the opener on a smart outlet controlled by your phone? then start the car from the app?

kwork417

Reactions
I recently installed a Genie garage door opener. Their Aladdin app is pretty user friendly. Just wish I could find a way to tell Siri to open the garage instead of having to open the app and hold my finger on the button for 2 seconds. #firstworldproblems

Symetry

U.S. Army Veteran
Reactions
Simple for me.

I have an extra garage door opener pushbutton laying on a shelf in the kitchen. I push it....garage opens... I use my fob ...push remote start.

Voila ... door open and truck running.

Warm steering wheel and seats.
Cool in summer.

Jim

Blackssr

Reactions
My garage is temperature controlled. I live in South Florida and Lakeland Florida and both of my garages are air conditioned. I can get them down to around 70° in the summer. As soon as I open the door the air conditioner is useless obviously. However if I'm going to detail my cars on a Sunday I just don't open the door and the garage is a little warmer than the house.

Reactions
Is there a way to set up the garage door to open when the vehicle remote starts (and vice versa)?

I park my car in the garage, and I would like to remotely start it without filling the garage full of carbon monoxide.
This question got me thinking a bit. Someone did this with a Subaru subscription, open garage and home assistance. I don’t see why this wouldn’t work if setup by hearing a certain sound (start of engine) or some other task. It is certainly doable but will take more in depth digging to get this to happen. It would be interesting to get something like this setup though.

OP
KegsBdry

KegsBdry

Reactions
Thread Starter #16
I ended up using CapTom's advice in the end. Programming the visor buttons (to work with the garage door) freed up the original remote to be used elsewhere inside my home.

Reactions
I ended up using CapTom's advice in the end. Programming the visor buttons (to work with the garage door) freed up the original remote to be used elsewhere inside my home.
That is good, that is now I have mine setup already. Thanks for the idea! One more thing to add into my home automation.

Reactions
I recently installed a Genie garage door opener. Their Aladdin app is pretty user friendly. Just wish I could find a way to tell Siri to open the garage instead of having to open the app and hold my finger on the button for 2 seconds. #firstworldproblems
If you have an alexa device the genie garage door will work with your voice

Reactions
If you have an alexa device the genie garage door will work with your voice
My setup is a little more complicated, but I have a opengarage, tied to home assistant that is tied to Siri. So I can tell Siri to open up garage door and close it.