Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

Rattling noise coming from underneath new Explorer ST!

Reactions
Just got my new 2021 Explorer ST 3 days ago and weird rattling noise coming from underneath when going over the bumps. Is it because of sports suspension? Is it normal? Does anyone else experience same?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Cdubya

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
Not normal. Try to find the source. Check exhaust heat shields. loose nuts/bolts. Loose undercarriage covers. Someone even found a loose screw under the footwell carpeting and below the sheet metal. Could be anything, but probably a build issue.

OP
M
Reactions
Thread Starter #3
It sounds like it’s coming from suspension like bulk…bulk…doesn’t happen on flat road

OP
M
Reactions
Thread Starter #4
It’s coming from front end. It seems to be an issue on a lot of them as I’m reading from the previous forums

DougD

Reactions
Having the same noise issue over rough surface. Sounds like ball joints, wheel bearings, motor mounts or something significant. I have tightened the fastners on all the "Tupperware" air deflectors underneath and dealer tells me they can't find anything. Sounds like a worn out old truck with 20000 kms (15000 miles). Anyone have any major work needed under the vehicle?

OP
M
Reactions
Thread Starter #6
Taking mine in on October 6. I hate this noise!!!!

OP
M
Reactions
Thread Starter #8
Will let you know in the couple of days. It’s going in tomorrow

Reactions
Vehicle
2021 ST
Haven’t heard any unusual noises yet. But, I did discover a surplus airbag dash panel (the one that goes at the edge of the dash, facing the front passenger door). It was in the compartment beside the spare tire.

If they really operate the factory with JIT parts, one Explorer might not have gotten shipped that day. :ROFLMAO:

OP
M
Reactions
Thread Starter #10
Will let you know in the couple of days. It’s going in tomorrow

The car is in the shop for almost a week. Apparently those are normal noises for Ford which is hard to believe. Will keep you posted once it’s ready.

DougD

Reactions
Thanks for update Medotechinc. I'm reading many dealer responses that Ford says this is normal thumping over rough surface at slow speeds. Not acceptable answer! A $65,000-$70,000 new vehicle should not sound like a worn out old truck on the front end. Where is Ford? We want to know what is causing this and how to fix it. At least acknowledge what is causing it. We and the dealers are spending way too much time doing the same diagnostics when Ford knows what it is and chooses to not share that information.

Reactions
Vehicle
2021 Explorer Platinum
My brand new 2021 Platinum (thought this would be of interest to ST owners.....) with oem Pirelli 275/45 R21 had a very harsh ride and very loud thumping/slapping tire noise over road surface joints and imperfections.
Today I installed 4 new Bridgestone Blizzak Winter tires (P265/65 R18) on 18" aftermarket rims from Tire Rack. The vehicle is now almost dead silent over the same road surfaces.

blizzak-3-IMG_8617.jpg

Last edited:
OP
M
Reactions
Thread Starter #13
Thanks for update Medotechinc. I'm reading many dealer responses that Ford says this is normal thumping over rough surface at slow speeds. Not acceptable answer! A $65,000-$70,000 new vehicle should not sound like a worn out old truck on the front end. Where is Ford? We want to know what is causing this and how to fix it. At least acknowledge what is causing it. We and the dealers are spending way too much time doing the same diagnostics when Ford knows what it is and chooses to not share that information.
I know one thing! It’s probably my first and last Ford that will ever own. Car is still in the shop!

DougD

Reactions
My brand new 2021 Platinum (thought this would be of interest to ST owners.....) with oem Pirelli 275/45 R21 had a very harsh ride and very loud thumping/slapping tire noise over road surface joints and imperfections.
Today I installed 4 new Bridgestone Blizzak Winter tires (P265/65 R18) on 18" aftermarket rims from Tire Rack. The vehicle is now almost dead silent over the same road surfaces.

View attachment 8234

View attachment 8234
Isn't that interesting. Not sure how that gets rid of the thumping noise that sounds like suspension but this change you made obviously has made a difference. Anybody else experience this positive change when going to small tires? Since we're left to figure this out for ourselves all information is helpful. Thanks for comment PP.

Reactions
Isn't that interesting. Not sure how that gets rid of the thumping noise that sounds like suspension but this change you made obviously has made a difference. Anybody else experience this positive change when going to small tires? Since we're left to figure this out for ourselves all information is helpful. Thanks for comment PP.
Ya this is what I posted before on another thread the fact that it feels like we are on our own with a lot of the problems we experience with this ST.
Not sure if its like that with other brands of cars and their customer service or if its just simply finding the right dealership idk.
One thing I'm sure everyone is grateful for is a forum like this one where people help one another out which I know has gone a long way for me!

Reactions
Vehicle
2021 Explorer Platinum
As a follow up I called Pirelli headquarters in Georgia (800-747-3554) today. I was wondering if Ford was using noise cancelling technology tires and perhaps mine were defective.
My tires do not have the PNCS label.
The Pirelli customer rep indicated the oem 275/45 R21 tires on my 2021 Explorer Platinum (build date Sept 9, 2021) are not PNCS (noise cancelling) and said if the PNCS label is not molded into the tire it's not noise cancelling.
I'm working with my dealership to take back or swap the oem wheels/tires for something not 21" and not Pirelli.
This is what the label looks like if you want to check your tires.

CapTom

U.S. Army Veteran
Firefighter/EMT
Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
That's curious. Mine is a "20, and came with PNCS tires, which incidentally make it impossible to fix many punctures, even in the tread.

GearHead_1

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Vehicle
Exploder
I admit that I am old school and not always the early adopter though I am at times too. I simply don't like the idea of foam in the tires. Having said that, as I understand it these tires can be repaired using approved conventional methods once the foam is removed around the patch area. You are limited in that you shouldn't make these repairs using an external plug but the truth is that was never the best method for a repair anyway.

Reactions
Man....

2021 Explorer ST build date 6/21 and purchased on 7/21 so it JUST landed at the dealer. Had to drive 2 and a half hours one way to pick it up.

I have had this exact experience on our brand new ST for the last 2 months of ownership.

The rattling coming from the bottom back passenger area is so bad, me and my wife hope that whatever it is falls off as a joke. Took it to a muffler shop a couple weeks ago and they put it on a lift to see whats going on. It seems like every inch of heat shielding is hitting the body as there is not any buffer installed between the heat shielding and the body. Also there is a clunking noise when I put it in reverse coming from the back passenger suspension area. Both back windows sound like theyre being crushed by the motors and when the come down, it sounds like it is pulling them out the body of the car. Drivers side window auto up and down doesn't work all the time. If you turn the car off and sit in it for 10 minutes, you can hear all this ish happening and to my knowledge ford says that it is circuits closing but whatever. Also during that process, the brake pedal when you try to start it will fall to the floor and the car won't start. You have to push it again and the start button to get it going. Transmission wouldn't accelerate when getting on freeway also throws you forward with shift shock on downshifts in Sport mode. The rpms went up and the car kept rolling at the same speed and of course it throws zero codes. Oh i forgot to mention that the muffler guy said that it seems like my drivers side muffler is bad already.

The best part of all this you ask?

There is no ford dealer that can look at my car within 100 miles (i called every single one) until December 27th.

I was having a convo with the muffler shop owner and another guy was listening and told me that i got a Monday car off the line. I asked him what that meant and he said you got the car built by the people that were getting drunk and high all weekend and are recovering on Monday.

Safe to say im pissed on a 60k car we have to deal with this.

Sorry bout the long post but ive been lurking this forum ever since i got the car and finally had to share my experience.

Last edited:
Reactions
I have an absolutely ridiculous rattle from under the car. It started back over the summer. Someone else posted about it (might have been in this thread?) as well. It turns out for them it was one of the flex pipes. The mechanic at the dealership went on a drive with me so he could hear it, he also owns an ST, which was cool. It was fixed, and that was it. Until a few months later when it started again. Not only am I hearing a rattle at speed 35 and under, which I find to be humiliating on a 60k car driving around in a city where I am sure everyone else can hear it, because I hear it echoing off of the cars parked on the street, but I am also experiencing a resonating shudder when coasting / decelerating down through 40. One of these days Ill take it back to the dealership.