Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

rattling moonroof

Reactions
Vehicle
2023 ST Explorer
Mine sounds like it's coming from the interior crossbar trim piece rather than the moonroof itself (I doubt performing a panel reinitialization/alignment would solve anything).

Might be a tall ask, but can you post a few picture with where the dealer fixed the foam pieces? I suspect that is all mine needs to quiet the creak/rattle.
Ford installed foam squares on the panel roof to keep the drain tray (which is the plastic cross piece) from rattling/squeaking. The issue is that they put them about inch too far back. If you're still under warranty take it to the dealer and they will put in new foam pieces in the correct spot. If you're out of 3/36,000 then get some 3M foam tape and if you look up there you can see the foam piece ford put in and see right in from of it where your panel is rubbing.

Reactions
Ford installed foam squares on the panel roof to keep the drain tray (which is the plastic cross piece) from rattling/squeaking. The issue is that they put them about inch too far back. If you're still under warranty take it to the dealer and they will put in new foam pieces in the correct spot. If you're out of 3/36,000 then get some 3M foam tape and if you look up there you can see the foam piece ford put in and see right in from of it where your panel is rubbing.
Thanks for the detail! I’m within 3/36k, but avoid dealer trips as much as possible, especially for something so trivial. I’ll poke around up there and add some foam.

Edit: for anyone else trying to do this, venting the moonroof gives you much more space to add some foam vs. trying to do this when it’s closed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

88lx50

Firefighter
Reactions
Vehicle
2023 Explorer ST
Thanks for the detail! I’m within 3/36k, but avoid dealer trips as much as possible, especially for something so trivial. I’ll poke around up there and add some foam.

Edit: for anyone else trying to do this, venting the moonroof gives you much more space to add some foam vs. trying to do this when it’s closed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Did you add foam? I took a look and wasn’t sure where the foam should be added. The only thing I saw was a thin square piece of rubber towards the back of the moonroof.

Reactions
Vehicle
2023 Ford
I have the same issue, rattling coming from driver side back headliner/moon roof. When I press up or pull down on the headliner the rattling stops. Any dealership figure out how to fix?

Reactions
Our rattle is the metal bar that is glued to the fixed piece of glass, its going in tomorrow for another issue and we will have them look at the rattle at the same time.

Reactions
Did you add foam? I took a look and wasn’t sure where the foam should be added. The only thing I saw was a thin square piece of rubber towards the back of the moonroof.
I added foam; likely to where you are describing - I found the factory foam and added a piece on top.

Turns out, however, the rattle was coming from the rear panel itself. After lubing the seal on the exterior (rattle didn't resovle), I tightened the six 8mm bolts about 1/4 turn each and the rattle went away.

Jgrabina

Reactions
Any way to take some pictures and share?

DawgsOnTop

Nurse
Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
I know this thread has been quiet for a bit, but I added some self adhesive foam directly over the corner foam squares (right above where the plastic “horns” protrude when vented), and a 5/16ths strip of weather stripping on the metal bar attached to the sunroof glass. Solved my cold weather crossbar rattle.

Explorer ST Posts