Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

Ram TRX is here

Reactions
Hopefully the next Raptor will have a big bump in horsepower.

I'm really digging the Ram TRX.
RM021_433FN.jpg RM021_434FN.jpg RM021_446FN.jpg RM021_364FN.jpg RM021_366FN.jpg RM021_367FN.jpg RM021_371FN.jpg RM021_372FN.jpg RM021_373FN.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions
Ram did a really great job.

dolsen

U.S. Marine Veteran
Reactions
I like the truck, I found the guy presenting to be a little too fake excited. It's an exciting truck, but I felt like he was pumping up something he didn't believe in. That's not the point of the video, but I found it really distracting haha

zdubyadubya

Reactions
Vehicle
2020 ST
rather have a raptor.
agree to an extent, but the interior build quality and fit and finish of a raptor is REEEEAAALLLYYY bad...

Reactions
agree to an extent, but the interior build quality and fit and finish of a raptor is REEEEAAALLLYYY bad...
and a dodge isnt?
these are massive production Vehicles, not Aston Martin DB7s

zdubyadubya

Reactions
Vehicle
2020 ST
and a dodge isnt?
these are massive production Vehicles, not Aston Martin DB7s
while not expecting Aston levels of quality, in comparison, the interior of the new TRX looks to be on par with the nicer trims of Ram 1500s whereas the interior of a raptor is from the more base model F-150s. My buddy has a ecoboost raptor (so Ford even had a chance to improve since the 6.2) and there is acres of plastic and more squeaks and rattles than my 13 year old Subaru, which isn't exactly a beacon of interior build quality. Our ST feels like a Benz in comparison. As you say, everything is relative... but its really not up to spec IMO for a $65,000 pickup (I know they start less than that, but good luck finding a supercab with no accessories that isn't SO).

CoastieN70

U.S. Coast Guard Veteran
Reactions

Blackssr

Reactions
I own two mopars at present.. 2017 Challenger Hellcat and 2018 Trackhawk. I was highly anticipating the release of the TRX. Ford raptor needs to up its game if it's going to compete in the super truck market. However both the TRX and the refreshed Raptor will be extinct before they gain any real following. If the Hummer EV is actually brought to market it will usher in a new era in super truck performance. Even the butt ass ugly Tesla EV truck will be a game changer. I read a review on the TRX and it averaged seven to eight miles to the gallon.. It reminds me of when I had the SRT-10 quad cab pickup. I simply adored that truck but the gas mileage was horrendous. It literally got 180 mi to the tank. The TRX is no different. ☹️. My Hellcat Challenger averages 15 to 17 City and 26 on the highway. My Trackhawk averages 11 City and 16 on the highway. My 2021 Ford Explorer ST is a gem at 16 City 22 highway.

Last edited:

Blackssr

Reactions
rather have a raptor.
Unfortunately it's not a player anymore...It needs a refresh and a huge increase in horsepower to play with the big boys now. And don't forget the Hummer EV and the Tesla EV truck are going to be game changers. If they achieve the 500 mile range s teased, that will usher in a new way of thinking and performance never before seen in the truck market. It's an exciting time to be a car enthusiast for sure. A loaded TRX is pushing 100k. The Hummer EV and the Tesla will be close if not more expensive at release. It is absurd to see how expensive these vehicles are becoming. My 2021 ST stickered at 58k and change. After pushing the dealer and standing my ground for 3 weeks I walked out the door at 52K and change, 0 financing for 4 years on 30,000. No trade just cash down payment. There is no doubt the Explorer ST is the best value in the sport truck SUV right now. My Trackhawk is a 2018 and if memory serves there's sticker price was 109k. Definitely not the best value. But at the time I had to have it and I still love it today. As nice as the Ford Explorer ST is, it is no match for the Hemi and the supercharger in the Trackhawk. The supercharger whine under wide open throttle is absolutely intoxicating. I've said this several times on here. The Trackhawk is nearly double the price of the Explorer ST. In retrospect that is a tough to defend. Coolness only goes so far.

Last edited:

dolsen

U.S. Marine Veteran
Reactions
Power and performance are not the only dynamics at play. If that was the case, the Challenger and the Camaro should've been outselling the mustang all of these years.

Blackssr

Reactions
Reactions
Unfortunately it's not a player anymore...It needs a refresh and a huge increase in horsepower to play with the big boys now. And don't forget the Hummer EV and the Tesla EV truck are going to be game changers. If they achieve the 500 mile range s teased, that will usher in a new way of thinking and performance never before seen in the truck market. It's an exciting time to be a car enthusiast for sure. A loaded TRX is pushing 100k. The Hummer EV and the Tesla will be close if not more expensive at release. It is absurd to see how expensive these vehicles are becoming. My 2021 ST stickered at 58k and change. After pushing the dealer and standing my ground for 3 weeks I walked out the door at 52K and change, 0 financing for 4 years on 30,000. No trade just cash down payment. There is no doubt the Explorer ST is the best value in the sport truck SUV right now. My Trackhawk is a 2018 and if memory serves there's sticker price was 109k. Definitely not the best value. But at the time I had to have it and I still love it today. As nice as the Ford Explorer ST is, it is no match for the Hemi and that supercharger in the Trackhawk. The supercharger whine under wide open throttle is absolutely intoxicating. I've said this several times on here. The Trackhawk is nearly double the price of the Explorer ST. In retrospect that is a tough to defend. Coolness only goes so far.

the TRX is ridiculously overpowered for the suspension. just because you have 700 HP in the truck doesn't mean your suspension will sustain it.

the raptor is built around off-road. and that has been a proven combination for over a decade. RAM came along and theyre only claim to fame is " OuR eNgInE pUtS oUt 700 HoRsEpOwEr". its obvious that the TRX is just another street truck that wont be worth a shit off-road when they went through the hassle of putting launch control in it. Chevy and Dodge both took a stab at Ford and both failed, now dodge is trying again.

id love to see dodge enter a TRX into the baja 1000 and see how far they make it.

Blackssr

Reactions
the TRX is ridiculously overpowered for the suspension. just because you have 700 HP in the truck doesn't mean your suspension will sustain it.

the raptor is built around off-road. and that has been a proven combination for over a decade. RAM came along and theyre only claim to fame is " OuR eNgInE pUtS oUt 700 HoRsEpOwEr". its obvious that the TRX is just another street truck that wont be worth a shit off-road when they went through the hassle of putting launch control in it. Chevy and Dodge both took a stab at Ford and both failed, now dodge is trying again.

id love to see dodge enter a TRX into the baja 1000 and see how far they make it.
It is obvious by your post you are a hugh fan of the Raptor. Which is fine just, it is the same as liking a particular sports team even if they're not the best on the field any longer and are simply riding the coattails of their own reputation and previous accomplishments. The TRX is no Street truck. The reviews are positive and it's off-road capabilities nothing to ignore. Having that amount of power on tap would be a blast if I was into that sort of thing. My opinion is the owner of either a Raptor or a TRX very rarely takes the truck off road. Just like most Jeep owners very rarely take their truck off road. With that said, we are both entitled to our opinions and agree to disagree.
If I had my way every vehicle would have the The supercharged Hemi from the Hellcat. If you've never driven one, give it a shot, it never runs out of torque and is an absolute blast to drive. My Trackhawk is incredible under wide open throttle. I have never taken my vehicles off road nor do I have any desire to do so.
The closest I've been to off-road is when we took our Diesel Pusher RV to Burning Man 2 years ago. The experience was something I wouldn't have wanted to miss however it took months to clean the RV and remove the dust that was everywhere from the desert. Off-roading is not everyone's cup of tea. I prefer the smooth clean roads of South Florida, sunroof open, enjoying the beautiful warm weather in the off-season. Hurricanes are no fun but we only have to deal with that a couple of days a year. Traffic in Miami is as bad as La and New York but I live in Boca Raton and it's beautiful here.
Be well.

Last edited:

CoastieN70

U.S. Coast Guard Veteran
Reactions
May I remind everyone here that this is an Explorer ST board and consequently that makes this a Ford board as well.
The Fiat truck using the name RAM has its merits BUT it is a Fiat not a Ford so why are we arguing about it?
Just wondering...

Blackssr

Reactions
May I remind everyone here that this is an Explorer ST board and consequently that makes this a Ford board as well.
The Fiat truck using the name RAM has its merits BUT it is a Fiat not a Ford so why are we arguing about it?
Just wondering...
No one is arguing and this the "OFF TOPIC" section of the Ford ST Forum. Why do you have an issue with this and felt the need to post about it?

CoastieN70

U.S. Coast Guard Veteran
Reactions
No one is arguing and this the "OFF TOPIC" section of the Ford ST Forum. Why do you have an issue with this and felt the need to post about it?
Point taken. I concede you are a Fiat Fan and you have the right to express your opinions in this forum... :)