Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

Put 400 miles on the vehicle today

Reactions
Started the day with 100 miles on the odo and ended with 500 for the day yesterday. First trip and the vehicle saw rain, mud, rocks, and snow. The mud and rocks were sooooo not planned :oops:.

IMG-20210123-WA0014.jpg
IMG-20210123-WA0011.jpg
20210123_170945.jpg
20210123_170956.jpg
20210123_172501.jpg

Jarvis

Reactions
Now that's Exploring!:) Can you comment on the different drive modes if you used them on all those terrains? How were the Pirelli's in the snow? Any excessive creaks and rattles "on the rocks"?

LT Lost

U.S. Army Veteran
Reactions
Looks like you went up to Flag. Any problems going up there?

OP
boosted_st
Reactions
Thread Starter #4
Now that's Exploring!:) Can you comment on the different drive modes if you used them on all those terrains? How were the Pirelli's in the snow? Any excessive creaks and rattles "on the rocks"?
I was actually surprised at the difference in the drive modes to be honest. I used most of them and the one that really stuck out was "Slippery", throttle response is lagging (good thing to limit wheel spin), and I did use the deep snow/mud for the first place I pulled off since the back end started to slide sideways in slippery and I got out. Trail seemed to hold gears much longer. I didn't go over any big rocks or anything, but at slower speeds (10 - 15mph) the bumps were almost jarring, at 20 - 25mph it was more like there was vibrating seats lol. I was too focused on the road ahead to notice any additional creaks or rattles.

OP
boosted_st
Reactions
Thread Starter #5
Looks like you went up to Flag. Any problems going up there?
The initial thought was to drive up to Sedona, but changed plans and went to Pine and Payson. It was on the way there and back that I hit the snow (not sure what area specifically it was).

OP
boosted_st
Reactions
Thread Starter #7
Time for first wash!
Already did that today to get as much of the mud off as possible, lol

Jarvis

Reactions
Thanks for that Boosted_ST! My drives so far have been limited to 1 hr drives on highway. One thing I can say is that as I go from ECO to Normal to Sport, this truck seems to shrink around me. I've driven small cars before like a Mini Cooper and a S2000, and it's uncanny how the ST is just as much fun, if not exceeding, given it's ponderous look.

Reactions
Vehicle
2021 Explorer ST
How was your mileage on this trip?

I flew in and picked up my ST with 30 miles on the odo outside of Dallas on NYE and drove it 36 hours back to Seattle ending a little over 2800 miles. Through a snowstorm, below freezing midwest, and sleeting Idaho pass to end the trip with 17.5 MPG. I’ve barely put 300 miles in since and my MPG has plummeted.

OP
boosted_st
Reactions
Thread Starter #10
Thanks for that Boosted_ST! My drives so far have been limited to 1 hr drives on highway. One thing I can say is that as I go from ECO to Normal to Sport, this truck seems to shrink around me. I've driven small cars before like a Mini Cooper and a S2000, and it's uncanny how the ST is just as much fun, if not exceeding, given it's ponderous look.
I tried ECO for a few minutes and doubt I will ever use it under normal driving, maybe long trips with LONG straight parts lol. I had a 2013 Focus ST that I traded in for the 2019 Edge ST (Ford just bought that back) and now have the 2021 Explorer ST. So far the Explorer seems to be pretty good overall. Although its an ST and does handle well for what it is, it's always good to remember it is a SUV after all.

OP
boosted_st
Reactions
Thread Starter #11
How was your mileage on this trip?

I flew in and picked up my ST with 30 miles on the odo outside of Dallas on NYE and drove it 36 hours back to Seattle ending a little over 2800 miles. Through a snowstorm, below freezing midwest, and sleeting Idaho pass to end the trip with 17.5 MPG. I’ve barely put 300 miles in since and my MPG has plummeted.
I was actually surprised that I averaged like 21mpg with the mixed driving that I did. I wasn't exactly "easy" on the throttle unless conditions needed me to be :)

Reactions
Vehicle
2021 Explorer ST
I was actually surprised that I averaged like 21mpg with the mixed driving that I did. I wasn't exactly "easy" on the throttle unless conditions needed me to be :)
I’m happy for you and jealous at the same time.

OP
boosted_st
Reactions
Thread Starter #13
I’m happy for you and jealous at the same time.
I have a feeling that once I have a tune the numbers will drop since I'll be having a bit more fun hahaha

RLW

Reactions
YES! Confirming my choice of color. Should have it in April if they find enough chips to build it.

Super G

U.S. Army Veteran
Reactions
I did a trip to Zion and Vegas. Great ride and cruiser. Averaged 25MPG on NORMAL drive mode. Was driving around 75MPH with a few bursts up to 80.

Attachments