Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

Program existing key fob from another vehicle?

Reactions
Vehicle
Explorer ST
I recently purchased a used 22 explorer ST, the dealer only had one key. I traded in my 19 mustang GT and kept the second key fob for it. Is it possible to have the dealer program the mustang key to the explorer? It has the exact same buttons, the only difference I see is the explorer fob has the st logo and my old fob has the pony logo.

Reactions
Vehicle
'21 Explorer ST
Can probably confirm the serial numbers to see if it's right model? The programming can be done yourself if you already have one key programmed I believe.

Dale5403

1000 Post Club
Reactions
The dealer may be able to program it for you. You are not able to program these fob's yourself. Only a dealer or a professional with the right equipment can do it. You would also need to have a new key cut.

OP
S
Reactions
Vehicle
Explorer ST
Thread Starter #4
The dealer may be able to program it for you. You are not able to program these fob's yourself. Only a dealer or a professional with the right equipment can do it. You would also need to have a new key cut.
Oh yeah! I completely forgot about the key inside the fob :unsure:

Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST, Silver Spruce Metalic
I got a second key for $180 from the dealer. They sent a guy right to my house and it took him less than five minutes.

OP
S
Reactions
Vehicle
Explorer ST
Thread Starter #6
Just an update on the mustang key fob. The Ford dealer said word when I asked about programing the mustang key to the explorer that "It doesn't work like that. You have to buy a new key for $250 and programming is another $300"

Called a mobile locksmith he came out and program my mustang key to the explorer. Works perfectly, remote start, lock, unlock, hatch. Did it under 15 minutes and charged $110.

Obviously my ford dealer didn't have a clue or just wanted to make a quick buck. Never trusting them again

Dale5403

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Just an update on the mustang key fob. The Ford dealer said word when I asked about programing the mustang key to the explorer that "It doesn't work like that. You have to buy a new key for $250 and programming is another $300"

Called a mobile locksmith he came out and program my mustang key to the explorer. Works perfectly, remote start, lock, unlock, hatch. Did it under 15 minutes and charged $110.

Obviously my ford dealer didn't have a clue or just wanted to make a quick buck. Never trusting them again
Did you have him cut the key in case you need it? They should be able to do that if not done all ready.

OP
S
Reactions
Vehicle
Explorer ST
Thread Starter #8
Did you have him cut the key in case you need it? They should be able to do that if not done all ready.
No, I told him to not bother with cutting a key. Figured I really only need one actual key

Dale5403

1000 Post Club
Reactions
No, I told him to not bother with cutting a key. Figured I really only need one actual key
Did you get a price to cut the key? It might be worth it. Just asking.

OP
S
Reactions
Vehicle
Explorer ST
Thread Starter #10
Did you get a price to cut the key? It might be worth it. Just asking.
No, didn't even bother to ask