Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

PowerStop Brake Pads?

Reactions
Anyone running the PowerStop Brake Pads? Looking to replace the pads to reduce the brake dust without sacrificing too much stopping power. I have PowerStops on my Camaro ZL1 and they are awesome. Looks like PowerStop has 4 different pad choices for the ST.

Any suggestions on which would be best? This is my wife's car and it isn't going to be modified or driven too aggressively. Just want less dust and VERY quiet operation with no squeal.

The 4 pads are: Z36, Z17, Z16, and Z37.
https://www.powerstop.com/product/power-stop-z36-brake-pads/#y=2020&mk=FORD&mo=EXPLORER&ss=ST
https://www.powerstop.com/product/p...-brake-pads/#y=2020&mk=FORD&mo=EXPLORER&ss=ST
https://www.powerstop.com/product/p...-brake-pads/#y=2020&mk=FORD&mo=EXPLORER&ss=ST

OP
ScottZL1
Reactions
Thread Starter #2
I called PowerStop today and turns out none of them are available for the Explorer yet. They won't start producing them until most likely sometime mid next year. He said generally pads for new vehicles aren't produced for 2-3 years.

So, does anyone have any other manufacturer to suggest for replacement brake pads? The squeeling pads on our ST is driving us nuts. Its getting worse.

GearHead_1

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Vehicle
Exploder
By chance does your ST have the Track Pac?

zdubyadubya

Reactions
Vehicle
2020 ST
If you got the HP pack or track pack or whatever they called it (the premium above the street pack red calipers), swap for the normal street pack pads (normal red caliper upgrade). My ST came with the HP pads and they howled from day 1. it was a dealer-installed item, so I swapped out for the silver-backed pad that was left on my backseat instead of the black one and a) didn't notice a change in stopping power, and b) noise was gone.

OP
ScottZL1
Reactions
Thread Starter #5
We just have the Street Pack according to the window sticker. Our issue isn’t howling, they are dead silent all the time except when gently applying and coming to a stop slowly (like in stop and go traffic)…then they squeal like a banshee!

GearHead_1

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Vehicle
Exploder
I'd find the corner where the noise is coming from and then pull the pads. Assuming they still have plenty of meat left on them, I'd take a file, put a slight bevel all the way around the edge of the brake pads. If the pad itself is slotted clean up the edge of the groove too. Just enough to take the hard corner off. I've seen this work many times.

OP
ScottZL1
Reactions
Thread Starter #7
I'd find the corner where the noise is coming from and then pull the pads. Assuming they still have plenty of meat left on them, I'd take a file, put a slight bevel all the way around the edge of the brake pads. If the pad itself is slotted clean up the edge of the groove too. Just enough to take the hard corner off. I've seen this work many times.
Interesting idea! I'll look into it. The car only has 4000 miles on it.

GearHead_1

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Vehicle
Exploder
Put a little dielectric grease between the pad and backup anti-squeal plate too. As always make sure the hardware is well lubed too.

I'd be really surprised if the sound didn't go away at least for a period of time. Sometimes the metal content in semi-met pads is high and the noise will return but I can't begin to tell you how many times I've seen this cure the issue.

OP
ScottZL1
Reactions
Thread Starter #9
Put a little dielectric grease between the pad and backup anti-squeal plate too. As always make sure the hardware is well lubed too.

I'd be really surprised if the sound didn't go away at least for a period of time. Sometimes the metal content in semi-met pads is high and the noise will return but I can't begin to tell you how many times I've seen this cure the issue.
I actually did take the car to my independent mechanic and he took out the pads and applied lube in all the proper locations. He mentioned there was almost no factory lubrication and what was there was dried out and “cakey”. The car was a little quieter for a few weeks after doing that, but it’s back to just as bad now. I’ll see if maybe he can file the edges on the pads to see if that might help.

DaveG ST

U.S. Army Veteran
Reactions
Also, try some hard stops going in reverse. There may be something in the brake pad that needs to work itself out.