Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

POLICE INTERCEPTOR RIMS - 2021 ST

Reactions
I just recently bought a 2021 Ford Explorer ST with the Performance Package and was wondering if the police interceptor rims fit and if so, where to source and model?

Appreciate the helps!

Reactions
yes they fit. do some searching and you will find your answers.

AshWaa

Reactions
You should add a SETINA push bar to it too! That's what I did and it looks amazing.

Cdubya

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
Canadian Ford dealers can get you the interceptor rims for cheap.

Reactions
I saw an ST in Jackson Hole with snowtires on a set of Interceptor rims. Thought that was genius!

Sch0227

U.S. Army Veteran
Reactions
There are usually some for sale in the For Sale forum

Reactions
Just a quick question: I was always under the impression that un-sprung weight had a big impact on performance. Wouldn't the steel rims add a lot of weight to the corners?

Reactions
Just a quick question: I was always under the impression that un-sprung weight had a big impact on performance. Wouldn't the steel rims add a lot of weight to the corners?
Nobody is using them for daily wheels I dont think. Most people buy them as a "cheap" option to throw winter tires on... which you being in FL and me being in TX, we have zero need for winter tires...

Reactions
That makes sense...and I can understand the use on police vehicles for a variety of reasons. I come from a performance background and used to do some track time so I was only thinking about it from that aspect . Thanks for the insight!

SOUTHFLST

U.S. Air Force Veteran
Reactions
That makes sense...and I can understand the use on police vehicles for a variety of reasons. I come from a performance background and used to do some track time so I was only thinking about it from that aspect . Thanks for the insight!
I’ve used steelies for a daily on my SHO. I liked them because they are nearly bomb proof. Being able to take a curb and 40mph is good insurance. Plus tires are a lot cheaper. In terms of weight, I’d be interested to see the actual weight difference between an 18” PIU wheels and tire compared to a 21” ST wheel and tire. The difference may be less than you think.
That looks awesome. I will probably daily mine like this and keep the 21s in the garage. Ill likely wrap the center caps gray.

Last edited:
Reactions
some claim a reduction is unsprung weight it worth 4x sprung weight, I think thats an exaggeration, I bet you're right the 18 in steels may not weight much more than the 21 inches and they are design to handle being slammed over a curb, the real test is to drag race 2 cars with diff wheel set ups

Reactions
I thought 19s were the smallest wheels that fit on the stock front brakes. The brakes are the same ST/Interceptor? Idk if I’ve ever thought about it this hard before but that wouldn’t make sense that the interceptor had smaller brakes. Learn something new every day.

SOUTHFLST

U.S. Air Force Veteran
Reactions
some claim a reduction is unsprung weight it worth 4x sprung weight, I think thats an exaggeration, I bet you're right the 18 in steels may not weight much more than the 21 inches and they are design to handle being slammed over a curb, the real test is to drag race 2 cars with diff wheel set ups
Im sure it would be pretty squirrely. But it would be fun. The challenge would be to find the tire that can get the best/fattest contact patch.
Now I’m interested to know the difference in weight between the 2.

Gokussj4

Reactions
Looks good. Not my cup of tea, but what are the actual specs on those wheels? I would love to fit a 295 but haven’t research the limits on the stock wheels. However the IPU wheels look a lot. Less wider then o‘em.

Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Explorer ST
Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Explorer ST