Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

POLICE INTERCEPTOR ENGINE

MZEITLER

Reactions
Does anyone know what the difference is between the st twin turbo engine 400 hp and the Police interceptor engine also used in the explorer?

Reactions
Here are the 3 options, looks close to the ST.

Horsepower/3.3L HEV
318 (combined system hp)
285 @ 6,500 rpm (gas engine)

Horsepower / 3.0L EcoBoost®
400 @ 5,500 rpm*

Horsepower / 3.3L Direct-Injection V6
285 @ 6,500 rpm

Reactions
The 3.0L dual turbo engine is the same for the ST & Police vehicles
Police vehicles are speed limited to148 MPH though

Reactions
I thought I saw a post where someone said their ST cut off at 148?

UNBROKEN

4000 Post Club
Reactions
ST and the PIU’s share brakes as well.

UNBROKEN

4000 Post Club
Reactions
Both are spec’d with the Street Pack brakes...only the ST has red calipers.

UNBROKEN

4000 Post Club
Reactions
119 pages isn’t an interesting read...it’s homework. lol

Reactions
119 pages isn’t an interesting read...it’s homework. lol
If you look at a few of the results, the 3.0EB is only 2nd to the Charger 5.7 around the track by a few 10ths. It also had the best 0-60 time!

Reactions
Both are spec’d with the Street Pack brakes...only the ST has red calipers.
Work just started retiring a few Tahoes... Like UNBROKEN said, the calipers appear to be as big as my street pack brakes, they are silver, and they squeezed them into 18” wheels!

They don’t look bad, and the officers seem to like them. I think the only complaints have come from the bigger guys. They’re bigger than a sedan, but still not roomier than a Tahoe.

something I noticed that was weird, was that the exhaust is totally different and unassuming.

A2591B77-4F4B-44BC-85D0-1D8A4696469D.jpeg

8184A48E-D595-4C2A-A0AC-A31E3A46BF05.jpeg

12D9E426-F580-49DA-A18C-BBC0AC2E41EB.jpeg

Last edited:
Reactions
Work just started retiring a few Tahoes... Like UNBROKEN said, the calipers appear to be as big as my street pack brakes, they are silver, and they squeezed them into 18” wheels!

They don’t look bad, and the officers seem to like them. I think the only complaints have come from the bigger guys. They’re bigger than a sedan, but still not roomier than a Tahoe.

something I noticed that was weird, was that the exhaust is totally different and unassuming.

View attachment 2092

View attachment 2094

View attachment 2095
I’m still shocked at how much those wheels cost in Canada vs USA.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
I’m still shocked at how much those wheels cost in Canada vs USA.

I would guess the wheels are probably made in Canada like the old Crown Vics, so there is an import (or export) tarrif added when they send to US...

Reactions
I would guess the wheels are probably made in Canada like the old Crown Vics, so there is an import (or export) tarrif added when they send to US...
That would make sense

120/wheel here. Just on back-order

Reactions
My department just started to up fit one. Saw it last week in the garage looked under the hood and saw the 3l tt. It should be online in about a week. Be interesting to see how it holds up after they start beating on it during patrol

Reactions
Posted this last week but it better fits here. I saw an interceptor parked and noticed it had a Whipple installed.

Reactions

View attachment 2092

View attachment 2094

View attachment 2095
Wonder how much the 18's weigh... would consider throwing a set on given the price :) if they can widened, would be even more fun.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Reactions
The one new Explorer Interceptor we have is going to be used by a non patrol Deputy so it will not be beat on and will acquire very few miles in it's life.

Reactions
Wonder how much the 18's weigh... would consider throwing a set on given the price :) if they can widened, would be even more fun.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk
About 30 pounds

Explorer ST Posts