Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

Playing around with some Carbon Fiber Wrap ideas.

Blackssr

Reactions
Played around with some wrap ideas to make the my ST stand out from the crowd. Years ago I was a professional Window Tint installer all through high school and college. Wrap is harder but I have the basics down. Comments Welcome. Wrap is not for everyone. I replaced the red strip on the hood due to being off center. I just have the old photo.
20210109_190838.jpg 20210109_190820.jpg 20210109_210905.jpg View attachment 3417

Attachments

Last edited:

zdubyadubya

Reactions
Vehicle
2020 ST
i dig that. not sure about the red "explorer" lettering on the tailgate, but the carbon bits on the spoiler are cool. would be cool to see the front and rear lower fascias (the gloss bit) done in carbon... give it a bit of aftermarket diffuser look.

OP
Blackssr

Blackssr

Reactions
Thread Starter #3
i dig that. not sure about the red "explorer" lettering on the tailgate, but the carbon bits on the spoiler are cool. would be cool to see the front and rear lower fascias (the gloss bit) done in carbon... give it a bit of aftermarket diffuser look.
The beauty of DYI is it peels easy enough. Still undecided but it is fun. Freezing this week in South Florida. (Like 60 degree f...hahaha! I was stationed in Dubai and Bahrain for 7 years anything below 90 I am miserable.) VVivid Wrap is fairly inexpensive. The spoiler looks much better in person. It took about 4 hours but looks professional. That is staying.

For other members who would like to give it a shot here is what I purchased and have used for about 5 years now.

Amazon.com: 3M KTS-DL1 Design Line Knifeless Tape - 50m (164ft): Home Improvement

Amazon.com: VViViD XPO Red Carbon Fiber Car Wrap Vinyl Roll with Air Release Technology (1.5FT X 5FT): Automotive

Amazon.com: VViViD XPO Black Carbon Fiber Car Wrap Vinyl Roll with Air Release Technology (10ft x 5ft): Automotive

Amazon.com: Vehicle Vinyl Wrap Window Tint Film Tool Kit Include 4 Inch Felt Squeegee, Retractable 9mm Utility Knife and Snap-off Blades, Zippy Vinyl Cutter and Mini Soft Go Corner Squeegee for Car Wrapping: Automotive

Makes installing much easier. I use for wire task also.

RYOBI 18-Volt ONE+ Lithium-Ion Cordless Heat Gun (Tool Only)-P3150 - The Home Depot

This dude is the freakin’ Yoda of instructional videos on wrap install. The stuff he does leaves me bewildered. He is a definitely a pro and very talented.

CK Wraps - YouTube

Last edited:

Symetry

U.S. Army Veteran
Reactions
Can you give us a basic lesson on putting on wrap.
Tips, what to watch for.
I like the spoiler.

Jim

zdubyadubya

Reactions
Vehicle
2020 ST
The beauty of DYI is it peels easy enough. Still undecided but it is fun. Freezing this week in South Florida. (Like 60 degree f...hahaha! I was stationed in Dubai and Bahrain for 7 years anything below 90 I am miserable.) VVivid Wrap is fairly inexpensive. The spoiler looks much better in person. It took about 4 hours but looks professional. That is staying.
you should ceramic coat the wrap--helps it last longer in that Florida sun. ;):ROFLMAO:

OP
Blackssr

Blackssr

Reactions
Thread Starter #6
you should ceramic coat the wrap--helps it last longer in that Florida sun. ;):ROFLMAO:
The VVivid is UV protected, both Carbon fiber and Flat black. I had it on my Supercharged Shaker SRT Challenger Custom for 5 years and not a single issue with fade or peal. It took me over a month to wrap that car. The roof and Sat antenna was the greatest challenge.

Attachments

OP
Blackssr

Blackssr

Reactions
Thread Starter #7
Tips, what to watch for.
I like the spoiler.

Jim
This dude is the freakin’ Yoda of instructional videos on wrap install. The stuff he does leaves me bewildered. He is a definitely a pro and very talented. I watched his classes and tips.

Speaking of Yoda.. how cool is baby Yoda on the Mandalorian. Baby Yoda - Show Me The Red Wire - YouTube

CK Wraps - YouTube

OP
Blackssr

Blackssr

Reactions
Thread Starter #8
Jim[/QUO[/QUOTE]
Tips, what to watch for.
I like the spoiler.

Jim
Nice to meet you Jim. My name is Michael. 51 years old. I an addicted to Cars, younger women and good food. (In that order. LOL)

OP
Blackssr

Blackssr

Reactions
Thread Starter #9
The VVivid is UV protected, both Carbon fiber and Flat black. I had it on my Supercharged Shaker SRT Challenger Custom for 5 years and not a single issue with fade or peal. It took me over a month to wrap that car. The roof and Sat antenna was the greatest challenge.
I worked basically alone but had my helper and sidekick to get hair under the wrap and keep me on my toes.... Arrghhh. (She was abused rescue that had all her teeth bashed in. I took her to a feline surgeon in Miami and had a full set of pearly whites put in. Her teeth are better than the wife or myself.

Attachments

Last edited:

Symetry

U.S. Army Veteran
Reactions
Same here , I'm 75 ,
Young women would kill me dead.
Cars have been my passion since 16.
Good food is very high on my love it list.

Gotta try that wrap stuff.

Jim

Last edited:
OP
Blackssr

Blackssr

Reactions
Thread Starter #11
Same here , I'm 75 ,
Cars have been my passion since 16.
Good food I very high on my love it list.

Gotta try that wrap stuff.

Jim
It takes patience and practice. The wing was tough plus it was two tone and multilayered. The results are near perfect. I would play around with the hood stripes first to get a feel.

Last edited:
Reactions
Played around with some wrap ideas to make the my ST stand out from the crowd. Years ago I was a professional Window Tint installer all through high school and college. Wrap is harder but I have the basics down. Comments Welcome. Wrap is not for everyone. I replaced the red strip on the hood due to being off center. I just have the old photo.
View attachment 3413 View attachment 3414 View attachment 3415 View attachment 3417
I like you're style brother...
20200902_110402.jpg

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk

zdubyadubya

Reactions
Vehicle
2020 ST
I was just screwing with you dude based on the other thread. Its all good. Work looks nice.

....except for the wheels on that Challenger, those are atrocious. ;)

OP
Blackssr

Blackssr

Reactions
Thread Starter #14
I like you're style brother...
View attachment 3429

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk
Awesome. I never thought to "blend" with the grill. Hmmmmmm maybe a weekend redo but only of Florida warms up. Also custom color paint? or factory Silver? Did you apply or had it done?
Be well.

OP
Blackssr

Blackssr

Reactions
Thread Starter #15
I was just screwing with you dude based on the other thread. Its all good. Work looks nice.

....except for the wheels on that Challenger, those are atrocious. ;)
Update: I just got the reference about the ceramic..lol. I guess I am a little slow. ;-)
On my older SRT Shaker. They were popular 8-9years ago. Not so much now..... I still loved that car. With the blower it made almost 600 HP up from the 425 HP it came with. I traded that for my Hellcat with also has custom wheels. They seem to be in style. For now anyway. :)

Wait to you see the wheels that are arriving any day for my ST..... Polarizing is an understatement. LOL... But everyone's taste is different and I have always had "different taste" in aftermarket wheels.

Last edited:

Autoworker

1000 Post Club
Reactions
I'm liking the rear wing, the hood no so much. Would look better to carry the stripe under the front of the hood. I'd re-install the EXPLORER over the wrap. Just my opinion. Do you apply the vinyl wet? I could have never done that good unless I did.

OP
Blackssr

Blackssr

Reactions
Thread Starter #17
On my older SRT Shaker. They were popular 8-9years ago. Not so much now..... I still loved that car. With the blower it made almost 600 HP up from the 425 HP it came with. I traded that for my Hellcat with also has custom wheels. They seem to be in style. For now anyway. :)

Wait to you see the wheels that are arriving any day for my ST..... Polarizing is an understatement. LOL... But everyone's taste is different and I have always had "different taste" in aftermarket wheels.
I'm liking the rear wing, the hood no so much. Would look better to carry the stripe under the front of the hood. I'd re-install the EXPLORER over the wrap. Just my opinion. Do you apply the vinyl wet? I could have never done that good unless I did.
Not wet, it has air release technology and dry install. Quite remarkable actually. I was on the fence about the hood with the red. The only absolute at this point is the roof wing which I love. It actually came out perfect, looks really really cool, the pictures do not do it justice. The real beauty of the wrap is the ease of removal. You simply heat and peel to remove. No residue or anything is left behind.Appreciate taking the time to comment.
Be well

OP
Blackssr

Blackssr

Reactions
Thread Starter #18
Same here , I'm 75 ,

Jim
But what better way to go out...lol

Symetry

U.S. Army Veteran
Reactions
@Blackssr , how many times can you heat and remove it and restock it?

I can see me moving it several times to get it right if I could.

Jim

OP
Blackssr

Blackssr

Reactions
Thread Starter #20
@Blackssr , how many times can you heat and remove it and restock it?

I can see me moving it several times to get it right if I could.

Jim
There's a lot to discuss based on your questions. The wrap is a dry install. It is a bit tacky but easily repositioned until you begin to squeegee it. The heat gun allows you to heat it which softens the wrap in order to contour and adhere to the curves better. Think of it as wrapping a bottle of wine at Christmas. When you reach the top it has contours and the paper crumbles. The heat gun allows you to stretch the wrap and have it cling to the bottle without fingers or ripples. There is a little finesse in technique to it but a little bit of practice and trial and error it gets easier. Once it is squeegeed out and installed just park the car in the Sun for 20 minutes and the heat activates the glue and it becomes semi-permanent until you reverse the process with the heat gun to remove. I hope that answered your question satisfactorily. If you watch CK wraps he's got wrapping for beginners and he explains it in more detail. But I would order 5 ft of it for 20 bucks and play with it. once you get a feel for the install that will govern your decision if you want to take the plunge and go for it. For me it was worth the effort to learn and become efficient at it, because I change cars often as well as the wrap design. In my Boca home, I have an air conditioned garage. The Florida heat would make it very difficult to install if I didn't. Once it's installed the Florida heat is to my benefit, if that makes any sense. I know the more humid, the more difficult it is to reposition and apply. Once it's applied and in place, heat is your friend at that point. Heat speeds the curing process. I have been doing it on and off for about eight years and have wrapped at least 15 or 20 cars. Let me be clear not the entire car that is way out of my capability. But I do do full body stripes, wings and mopar billboards on Challengers and Chargers. I'm actually wrapping a girl friend's Hellcat right now. Erica is 34 and just picked up a Hellcat Red Eye wide body. 797 beautiful horsepower... I don't know who's hotter Erica or her car. But we've been friends for a few years and we met at a Mopar invite. I am installing just Mopar stripes up the hood across the roof and down the trunk. I think I have photos of every car that I put stripes on. I have to pull them out of my server and I will post them up here a few to take a look when I find them.

Last edited: