Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

Platinum

JRS DAD

Reactions
Vehicle
2020 ford explorer platnum
Hello everyone i just purchased a explorer platinum and was told it has same engine as ST just needs tuning
Cause when i put it in sport mode it has some kick to it
So does it have same engine as ST

Cdubya

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
Same thing, just detuned. You can get everything back and much more with an aftermarket tune.

Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Rapid Red ST
The 2020 and 2021 Platinums are 365 HP. The 2022 models have the same 400 HP as the ST. Main difference is the Platinum still has the taller axle gearing, 3.31 vs the 3.58 on the ST.

Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Ford Explorer ST
There's other threads where I thought I've seen it's geared differently too..

Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Ford Explorer Platinum
Hello everyone i just purchased a explorer platinum and was told it has same engine as ST just needs tuning
Cause when i put it in sport mode it has some kick to it
So does it have same engine as ST
If you don't care to make yours more closely perform like the ST, you can skip the rest of this comment...

I'm expecting to take delivery of my Platinum Explorer next week. Ford matched the performance of the ST on the Platinum and King Ranch trim levels for the 2022 model year. I wanted an ST but liked more of the comforts of the Platinum. Since the power was the same I figured I'd just modify certain aspects to get it closer to the ST and have the best of both worlds. I've since discovered that there are a few subtle differences in styling as well (aside from the obvious platinum grill, trim, etc.). The gearing, as has been mentioned, is different. Likely cost you a few tenths of a second. I'm currently looking into getting part numbers for the gears in the ST and looking at swapping them over. The lower in the front bumper is also not as sporty/aggressive. I like the look of the STs lower better, so I've found the part number for this and will be swapping that out. Lastly, I believe the suspension in the Platinum is targeted more for comfort. I'll be lowering mine with the Steeda lowering springs and will be swapping out the shocks and struts as well. This will firm it up and should be closer to if not have the same handling of the ST. I'm told the Steeda shocks and struts are rebranded OE STs. I found sale pricing on the Steeda's that were less expensive and opted to go that route. A Steeda rear sway bar helps stiffen things up as well. H&R also has lowering springs, and I believe there is a front and rear set by another company available now as well, though can't remember if that was aFe or someone else. There are a ton of threads on various members' experiences on the various parts. Just have to choose what best matches your goals. There are a lot of experienced members on here with a WEALTH of knowledge. This forum has definitely proven to be a rabbit hole for me and will cost me thousands more in modifications as a result :eek:

Last edited:

TMac

1000 Post Club
Reactions
If you're truly serious about the ST gearing, start with buying a timberline rear diff. Then you get the 3.58 gears and a Torsen LSD. Then just buy the ST front diff or swap the gears- whatever's cheaper. From your plans, I hope you have deep pockets!

Reactions
Vehicle
If you're truly serious about the ST gearing, start with buying a timberline rear diff. Then you get the 3.58 gears and a Torsen LSD. Then just buy the ST front diff or swap the gears- whatever's cheaper. From your plans, I hope you have deep pockets!
I sure am glad there are smart people like you around who are willing to share their knowledge! I think this journey will be significantly less expensive if I keep getting feedback like this. Thank you!

Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Rapid Red ST
The stability control system is based on a non-locking differential. Just something to think about. Also, different gearing requires a change to programming for the speedometer.

TMac

1000 Post Club
Reactions
The stability control system is based on a non-locking differential. Just something to think about. Also, different gearing requires a change to programming for the speedometer.
What do you base this on? Torsen isn't a "locking" diff. Any stability control I'm aware of is using g-force and the differential of the ratio of inside vs outside wheel speed sensors during cornering. Neither the former nor the latter is affected by a Torsen LSD.

You're right, the different gear ratios do require a change to the speedo programming.

Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Rapid Red ST
Just thinking about how the control system provides braking to individual wheels. I should not have used the term locking. Limited slip might confuse the system. I have no definitive information about this. Might have no effect. Again, just something to think about.

Reactions
Vehicle
In briefly looking into the Timberline rear diff, I noticed that it appears to come with the 2.3L 4 cylinder motor making 300hp. Do you feel like the diff would be strong enough to take the kind of power even a bolt on E50 tune would throw at it?

GearHead_1

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Vehicle
Exploder
As I understand it, it's the same gear set (read strength) but includes the torsen diff. I think most of us would raise our hands if someone said "who wants one?" If that had been an option on the ST many of us would have checked that box.

Last edited:
Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
Just thinking about how the control system provides braking to individual wheels. I should not have used the term locking. Limited slip might confuse the system. I have no definitive information about this. Might have no effect. Again, just something to think about.
Doesn't matter what the diff is. The traction/stability control system is based on the individual wheel speed sensors. Open diff or LSD of any kind doesnt matter. Will function the same.

GearHead_1

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Vehicle
Exploder
Doesn't matter what the diff is. The traction/stability control system is based on the individual wheel speed sensors. Open diff or LSD of any kind doesnt matter. Will function the same.
Ahhh... no wonder they stuck a torsen diff in the Timberline.

Last edited:
Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
Ahhh... no wonder they stuck a torsion diff in the Timberline.
I would prefer the Torsen in the ST as well. I know these aren't sports cars, but I'd prefer the diff to do some work before the computer steps in.

GearHead_1

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Vehicle
Exploder
I would prefer the Torsen in the ST as well. I know these aren't sports cars, but I'd prefer the diff to do some work before the computer steps in.
Exactly. Nobody wants the ECU to limit HP.

Last edited:
Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Rapid Red ST
The stability control system relies on yaw axis rate sensors. That can send a brake command to just one wheel..Limited slip may cause some brake action to the opposite wheel.