Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

Parking brake automatically engages

Reactions
Parking brake automatically engages when I put my vehicle in park. I assume it is a “settings” issue but I cannot, for the life of me, find this setting.

Anyone have the same situation? And what is the fix?

Nine29

Law Enforcement
Reactions
Vehicle
2021 ST
No fix...it's Ford's solution to the differential bolt issue.

OP
mkuluz
Reactions
Thread Starter #3
Damn. Really?? Well that really sucks. Thanks for the info.

Reactions
No fix without tuning it out, which I’m sure can be done. But last I checked, the parking brake releases automatically as soon as you apply throttle, so it’s not that big a deal.

Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Ford F-150 Raptor
Parking brake automatically engages when I put my vehicle in park. I assume it is a “settings” issue but I cannot, for the life of me, find this setting.

Anyone have the same situation? And what is the fix?
sadly no button to change it. I like it so that I don't have to nag anyone who drives my ST to apply the parking brake.

Reactions
sadly no button to change it. I like it so that I don't have to nag anyone who drives my ST to apply the parking brake.
What does this phrase, "nag anyone who drives my ST", mean? I do not comprehend anyone else driving "my ST".

ATL_ST

Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Ford Explorer ST
I just got mine back from the dealership and got this same great 'upgrade'. I see no one know hows to turn it off permanently, at least yet. I'd love to shut that and the auto-shutoff off. I don't want to by an excessive amount of starters or rear brakes.

Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Ford F-150 Raptor
I just got mine back from the dealership and got this same great 'upgrade'. I see no one know hows to turn it off permanently, at least yet. I'd love to shut that and the auto-shutoff off. I don't want to by an excessive amount of starters or rear brakes.
Ford did it for a reason, and it helps with the stress on the 1 bolt rear end.

ATL_ST

Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Ford Explorer ST
My vehicle is 4WD, so I'm not concerned with it rolling away.

So another question I have then, is with the 1 bolt main, is there any other solutions? Will the AWR Racing Differential Mount fix this issue?

I Bleed Ford Blue

U.S. Navy Veteran
Reactions
Vehicle
23 Rapid Red Explorer ST
Ford did it for a reason, and it helps with the stress on the 1 bolt rear end.
No, it does not. It has nothing to do with the rear subframe and the bolt or bolts that hold the rear axle carrier assy in place. The only reason the parking brake auto engages is a CYA for ford. In case the bolt on the rear subframe does break, it will keep the vehicle from rolling away and possibly causing more damage because in a total failure situation the axle(s) may become dislodged from the center section and the parking pawl inside the transmission will be rendered useless.

I Bleed Ford Blue

U.S. Navy Veteran
Reactions
Vehicle
23 Rapid Red Explorer ST

So another question I have then, is with the 1 bolt main, is there any other solutions? Will the AWR Racing Differential Mount fix this issue?
No it's not. All 2020+ explorers are either 2wd or AWD. There is no direct mechanical link to the front axle. Also the transfer case has no switch or lever to select 4wd hi and there is no low range either.

ATL_ST

Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Ford Explorer ST
Thanks. I appreciate the reply and wondered about how 4WD it really was. I've been totally swamped this past year and haven't given my ST (SuperTruck) the attention or research that it deserves.

Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Ford F-150 Raptor

Yah technically it's AWD.

Mad Max

Reactions
Vehicle
2023 st line
No fix without tuning it out, which I’m sure can be done. But last I checked, the parking brake releases automatically as soon as you apply throttle, so it’s not that big a deal.
May not be a big deal until you have to replace those bloody expensive calipers because they're being used in situations where they're not needed. Obviously parking on any sort of incline would warrant the use of a parking brake but when you're on a flat surface your parking brake is just clearly not needed. Go price out with a new calipers worth from Ford and you may change your tune pretty quickly about wanting to turn off this feature and only applying the parking brake when you want to do it. A smart people know how to drive our vehicles properly and don't need to be bubble wrapped when operating a vehicle

Reactions
[IQUOTE="Mad Max, post: 75949, member: 10759"]May not be a big deal until you have to replace those bloody expensive calipers because they're being used in situations where they're not needed. Obviously parking on any sort of incline would warrant the use of a parking brake but when you're on a flat surface your parking brake is just clearly not needed. Go price out with a new calipers worth from Ford and you may change your tune pretty quickly about wanting to turn off this feature and only applying the parking brake when you want to do it. A smart people know how to drive our vehicles properly and don't need to be bubble wrapped when operating a vehicle[/QUOTE]
This is my first vehicle with an electric parking brake, so my experience may be worthless but I have found that not using a parking brake leads to a much faster failure of the components than using the parking brake ever has.

Mad Max

Reactions
Vehicle
2023 st line
[IQUOTE="Mad Max, post: 75949, member: 10759"]May not be a big deal until you have to replace those bloody expensive calipers because they're being used in situations where they're not needed. Obviously parking on any sort of incline would warrant the use of a parking brake but when you're on a flat surface your parking brake is just clearly not needed. Go price out with a new calipers worth from Ford and you may change your tune pretty quickly about wanting to turn off this feature and only applying the parking brake when you want to do it. A smart people know how to drive our vehicles properly and don't need to be bubble wrapped when operating a vehicle
This is my first vehicle with an electric parking brake, so my experience may be worthless but I have found that not using a parking brake leads to a much faster failure of the components than using the parking brake ever has.[/QUOTE]
Oh I would definitely keep using it but when you stop and think that instead of only using it maybe once or twice a day you're Now using it perhaps a dozen times a day. I'm working on cars for over 40 years and I always instruct people to regularly use their parking brake so that it doesn't seize up. Another thing I didn't mention earlier is that I've seen a lot of people complaining that in the winter time when slush builds up on these things and you get a really bad freezing overnight that the parking brakes won't release

Reactions
This is my first vehicle with an electric parking brake, so my experience may be worthless but I have found that not using a parking brake leads to a much faster failure of the components than using the parking brake ever has.
Oh I would definitely keep using it but when you stop and think that instead of only using it maybe once or twice a day you're Now using it perhaps a dozen times a day. I'm working on cars for over 40 years and I always instruct people to regularly use their parking brake so that it doesn't seize up. Another thing I didn't mention earlier is that I've seen a lot of people complaining that in the winter time when slush builds up on these things and you get a really bad freezing overnight that the parking brakes won't release[/QUOTE]
I would say that drivers either use the parking brake or they don't. It is rare for someone to just use it when they think they need to. Yes, winter can be a challenge for a mechanical parking brake, but most of the issues are related to freezing cables and an electric parking brake avoids that issue.