Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

Parking Assist Paranoia

Reactions
Anyone use the parking assist thing? I'm afraid of it. Will it work in an empty parking lot using only lines?

Does it work well? Will I become addicted like with the adaptive cruise control (I am so lazy now)

Thanks

CapTom

U.S. Army Veteran
Firefighter/EMT
Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
I've never trusted the system. It seems to back into the space a little too fast. At the ST Esperince they showed us how to use it and let us play with one of their cars. It works, but I still feel it backs up too fast.

Reactions
I've tried it so many times and it's never worked for me. It starts the whole process but never actually parks. Learning how to park would be much easier I've found lol

Reactions
Hi,
I own three vehicles and have a large enough parking area that I set up both scenarios to give it a try at home under controlled conditions. I think you will need to park around other cars to give it a test. It worked about half the time in our trials. You need to follow the instructions to set it up properly when driving past the openings and set the type of parking (perpendicular or parallel) you want. I live in a rural area so our parking spaces are made for trucks not small cars, so I found it parked way too close to the other vehicles. About 2 feet away from the vehicle on the right or about 1 foot from the curb. I don't think it went too fast, but I generally go fast anyways. It is faster and likely safer to just park the ST yourself. It works sometimes, but you will have to experiment on your own to see if it parks to your liking. I think the technology is not quite there yet. And unlike some people here I bought the ST to drive it, not have it drive for me. My wife says she will never use the self parking feature.
Safe travels and enjoy,
Ron

PS. I park the ST so far away from any others cars, self parking is never needed.

Reactions
does the parking assist also park in a parking lot? I'm dying to try this but not about to do it with my Explorer. gonna wait until Asheville :)

Reactions
does the parking assist also park in a parking lot? I'm dying to try this but not about to do it with my Explorer. gonna wait until Asheville :)
Hi,

Yes there is a perpendicular parking option. You have to push the button as you drive by an open spot and the vehicle will, on its own, manoeuvre and reverse into the empty parking spot. I find it parks too close (about 2 feet) to the car you are reversing next too. You use your blinker to pick which way you want the vehicle to search for a spot (left side versus right side).

Good luck,

Ron

CapTom

U.S. Army Veteran
Firefighter/EMT
Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
When we did Asheville last fall they let you try the self parking feature using their cars.