Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

Paint Quality issue - anyone else?

Kirk ST

U.S. Army Veteran
Reactions
I was cleaning off my ST the other day when I noticed what looked like a blob of excess paint on the top of the right front fender. It made me wonder
1) Is this the level of paint quality the factory is doing today. (fortunately the rest of the car looks fine)

2) I bought this from the dealer, as a new car, but after the owner had driven it about ~5k miles. Could it have been wrecked and this is bad repair work? I also noticed a slightly different color from the front end (plastic) and the metal fenders and hood, but think that's a material difference, not a new paint job...am I right?

3) Can this be sanded down and touched up?

Thanks for any tips or thoughts. The photo is best I could get given the bright day and bright white paint I've got on mine.

Attachments

Dave G ST

U.S. Army Veteran
Reactions
Dealer will/should fix it under warranty.

Cdubya

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
Can't really tell anything from your photo. Many people have small paint issues and blebs under the paint. Being that your car is used, it is doubtful you can do anything under warranty.

OP
Kirk ST

Kirk ST

U.S. Army Veteran
Reactions
Thread Starter #4
Can't really tell anything from your photo. Many people have small paint issues and blebs under the paint. Being that your car is used, it is doubtful you can do anything under warranty.
technically it's new. I'm the first person to title the car. The dealer drove it on a dealer plate, but I was the first owner. there's a wave/ripple in the paint, probably 3-4 inches long. you can feel it with your hand.

Cdubya

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
I have a vertical wave/ripple on my driver's door, maybe about a foot long. You have to really be looking for it to see it. I did not take this up with the dealer because I feel the fix might be worse than the problem. I'd just rather have original paint.

Autoworker

1000 Post Club
Reactions
I had a couple of issues with the paint that I missed before delivery. Scratches, and a small nick on the front passenger door edge. The dealer ordered me a paint pen. As Cdubya said I'd prefer to keep the factory paint if possible.
IMG_1274 (2)_LI.jpg IMG_1279 (3).JPG

OP
Kirk ST

Kirk ST

U.S. Army Veteran
Reactions
Thread Starter #7
I have a vertical wave/ripple on my driver's door, maybe about a foot long. You have to really be looking for it to see it. I did not take this up with the dealer because I feel the fix might be worse than the problem. I'd just rather have original paint.
Just back from my dealer. They are owning this issue under warranty and having their body shop fix it in two weeks. I'll not have my car for a day, but it'll be done properly (I assume!)

Dave G ST

U.S. Army Veteran
Reactions
Exactly, bumper to bumper warranty means just that, well for the most part.