Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

Paint Prep And Exterior Treatment

Reactions
ST received some paint cleaning, minor corrections and ceramic coating.

What was used.

Nano Coatex premium car wash soap
Nano Coatex Iron Remover
Poor Boys Bug Squash
Meguiars MF wash mitt
Meguiars mild clay
Optimum No Rinse @QD ration
Rupes Bigfoot 15 DA with white Lake Country 5.5” pad
Porter Cable 7424xp DA with white Lake Country 3” pad
Meguiars M205 light polish
Poor Boys Paint Prep
Poor Boys Ceramic Coating
Poor Boys Trim Ceramic Coating
Nano Coatex Glass Coat Prep
Nano Coatex Glas Coat

Prep was was the usual two bucket wash. Nothing fancy, just did a wash and rinse followed by Bug Squash on the front to get bugs guts off and Iron Remover to get some brake and rail dust out of the paint. Another rinse and then ONR and clay to clean the paint before polishing

Clay did take some stuff out.

Next was M205 on a white 5.5” pad with the Rupes polisher. Normally for light correction like those, I would use a 6.5” pads, but with all the curves, the smaller pad was more effective. I did minimal pad cleaning between panels, so opted to swap pads more often. I got the paint to a pretty decent spot with this combo, so I swapped to the PC DA and a 3” pad to get some tighter spots and the black door/window trim panels.

The whole car got a wipe down with Poor Boys Paint prep (really just a ISO mix with a bit of lubricant).

I applied the PoorBoys Ceramic Coat on the hood and front clip first and than went around the rest of the car. Roof was last and the a second coat on “high traffic” areas and the front clip. Overall the application was very easy and I just took my time and inspected a lot, watching for high spots that needed to be leveled. It was pretty easy to feel where you had good coverage.

Next up was the trim coating. Same basic process as the paint coating, although it seems to be a bit “thicker” of a application. Went ont pretty quick and easy and seemed to add a touch of gloss to the trim.

All of the glass was polished with a orange pad and M105. Then hit with Nano Coatex Glass Coat prep. The windshield and sunroof got 3 coats, while the side and back glass got two coats. Pretty easy stuff to work with overall.

Now to let it all cure and then I’ll pull it out of the garage for some pics. Very glad to have it done and looking forward to using some of this stuff on the truck!

Last edited:

OK ST

U.S. Navy Veteran
Reactions
Beautiful job! [thumb]

Reactions
Looks awesome. Love the color.

OP
B
Reactions
Thread Starter #4
Pretty terrible lighting, but it’s gonna rain so wanted to get some kinda pics.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
B
Reactions
Thread Starter #6
The sun came out today, so I had to take a couple pics.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Autoworker

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Lots of work and effort, but sure looks nice. (y)

OP
B
Reactions
Thread Starter #8
Did the first wash after the coating. Nothing that you wouldn't expect, but great beading and the bugs came off really easily. The trim coating is impressive, I really like the results.

kwork417

Reactions
Can we get an update since you've had this on for several months, including winter?