Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

Options for Side Bars or Aftermarket Temp Rails

Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Explorer ST
I almost responded to the thread "Slick Top", but I figured I'd start a new one for anyone else searching.

I really could use the utility of having a roof rack (even at the load with the pano roof), we have a Thule low-pro that is very useful on my wife's Subie. The ST will now be our bigger trip vehicle, and I would like to have the ability to use that on the ST. I have no side rails. I love the look, and I would like something that is more or less temporary, i.e. not swapping someone for my rail-delete trim lol. Is buying the OEM rails and swapping them my only option? From what I've seen from that "Slick Top" thread and Unbroken's pictures, swapping the rails would not be a top-down only procedure.

From what I've seen out there so far, I may be better off with a small tow-behind for the 5 times a year I would use the roof rack, but I'm looking for options if anyone else has found something or has a similar situation.

-Brian

Reactions
Hey, I purchased a hitch mounted carrier and it works great. It is low enough that the brake lights are still visible and unless you really load it with tall things, you can still open the rear liftgate. It can carry much more weight than 75 pounds and I would assume, but could be wrong, that it would be more aerodynamic and quieter than a roof top carrier. Less likely to scratch the paint too reaching the 6 foot high roof. Good luck.

randyknight

Law Enforcement
Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Explorer ST
I'm still looking for someone to swap out trim for my rails. I will never use the rails and don't like the look.

OP
B
Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Explorer ST
Thread Starter #4
I might be interested Randy, let me talk to the wife. I like the clean look as well, but I might not have a choice in the matter. The problem would be who gets what first lol. Neither of us wants to be without roof trim this time of year and we're not close enough to swap in person...

randyknight

Law Enforcement
Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Explorer ST
I might be interested Randy, let me talk to the wife. I like the clean look as well, but I might not have a choice in the matter. The problem would be who gets what first lol. Neither of us wants to be without roof trim this time of year and we're not close enough to swap in person...
Yeah that's why i was saying if you were closer. Be difficult to trust someone to send me all the parts and to actually send it and not screw me as the plastic trim parts for the delete can not even be purchased from the dealerships right now. I had a guy that said he would risk it and send me his stuff and wait for mine and I got shipping estimates on a price to send mine to him and he stopped replying.

OP
B
Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Explorer ST
Thread Starter #6
Yeah that's why i was saying if you were closer. Be difficult to trust someone to send me all the parts and to actually send it and not screw me as the plastic trim parts for the delete can not even be purchased from the dealerships right now. I had a guy that said he would risk it and send me his stuff and wait for mine and I got shipping estimates on a price to send mine to him and he stopped replying.
Lol, yeah understood same here. What was the shipping estimate?

randyknight

Law Enforcement
Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Explorer ST
Lol, yeah understood same here. What was the shipping estimate?
I gave UPS the rough dimensions and weight of like 30 lbs (which they should be less than that) and it was like 65 bucks to they guys city in New York state. I just wanted to make sure shipping wasn't going to be crazy because they are about 4 foot long.