Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

Opinions on ‘used’ 2020 ST

Peanut

Reactions
Seriously looking at moving on a used 2020 ST. MSRP $59,520. Currently the dealership is asking $51,XXX. The vehicle has only 1,491 miles. Does any of this seem suspicious? What should I look out for? Does it seem like a good deal?

Cdubya

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
That is the going rate for a brand new 2020. I would look at a used 2020 with low miles as being very suspicious. A lot of 2020's had early production problems that Ford just could not figure out after the sale and were bought back. AVOID.

Reactions
Another reason it could have low miles is from being a dealer demo unit. Before I decided to order the ST I had a loaner for a weekend and put a few hundred miles on it and someone was getting it as a loaner when I returned it as well. Then once they have XXXX number of miles they take it out of rotation and sell it. Can't hurt to ask where the mileage came from either.

OP
P

Peanut

Reactions
Thread Starter #4
That is the going rate for a brand new 2020. I would look at a used 2020 with low miles as being very suspicious. A lot of 2020's had early production problems that Ford just could not figure out after the sale and were bought back. AVOID.
Just got back from the dealership with the Carfax: This vehicle was built on 7/31/2019 and was not sold until 7/28/2020. The original owner had the Explorer for four months. So would this Explorer be considered an early production vehicle with a build date of July 2019?

Cdubya

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
Yes, 7/2019 is an early build. My build was just a month earlier 6/25/2019. I've had no major issues but consider myself fortunate. If it was not sold until 7/28/2020 it almost certainly was a demo or given for use to a high ranking employee (ie. manager). It's strange someone bought it and owned it for only 4 months. Many, but certainly not all, of the earlier builds were sent to Flat Rock, Michigan for trouble shooting. There is no telling if that is a problematic one. For sure, I'd be willing to bet the dealer would accept $3k off their asking as people are getting $51k for remaining BRAND NEW STs with the same MSRP. As an early build, I would have the dealer update all the modules listed in the service bulletin 20U29 to bring it up to current versions.

Last edited:

LT Lost

U.S. Army Veteran
Reactions
I purchased a used 2020 with 7K miles and paid 46K build date was 12/19. Did the clear bra and ceramic and the paint/car is flawless. No problems except I keep adding stuff and I blame ST forum! :love: I think you should at least be in the high forties or better. All the 2020s I have seen were in the 40s and where they landed seemed mileage dependent. Needless to say I am happy with the purchase and I enjoy driving it. Good luck on your search.

Reactions
Since my 2020 was just repurchased from dealer sounds like there are too many red flags for your deal. Dealer traded my 2020 up to the 2021 to make it right. If your going to spend, spend a bit more for the 2021. You will not be disappointed.

Dave G ST

U.S. Army Veteran
Reactions
When I bought my 2020 ST and traded my 2017 XLT in I gave the dealer permission to give out my contact info to anyone who was interested in buying my 2017. No one called me this time, but I have been called years ago for a car I traded in. You may want to see if you may contact the previous owner just to be sure.