Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

Opinions on this used 2020 ST

bytheway

Reactions
I've been trying to get the price down on a 21 ST but dealers aren't quite moving into the high 40s on one with Street and Tech pack like I would like. I'd go with a new 2020 but the only ones left are missing the options I'd like. I found this 2020 semi-locally but not sure why someone would have gotten rid of it only 4-5 months after they bought it. It saves me about 4k off the best offer I have on a 21 but I'm not sure it's worth the risk. Would you guys take a look and see what you think? I ran the carfax and it's clean. Came from Idaho, was bought private party and I guess got traded in and sold at auction.

https://www.rodhatfieldcdj.com/used...ester-ky-498021830a0e0a6b75696f30d1042dc0.htm

F=MA

Reactions
I did that once. I had a 2014 Sport (Black) and a 2015 Sport (Red) and then I thought I would try the 2016 Platinum (Red). Looked nice but I hated the hard ass wooden steering wheel and the hard ass leather seats. It went back for a 2017 Sport (Black) with the softer steering wheel and the softer seats. Otherwise there was nothing wrong with the vehicle. The Platinum was probably better looking but I did not care for the chrome trim either. Those vehicles were the cats meow in thier day but now look so dated compared to the new version. IMG_0787.JPG IMG_0808.JPG IMG_2064.JPG

Last edited:
Reactions
Looks great. That’s a fair price. Some of the other guys will have a more advanced take on the build date and what that means. Being a new model, there were some hiccups that have since been ironed out.

I originally bought a 2020. It had issues with the instrument cluster and was in the shop for over a week. I negotiated a buy back and bought a 2021. No issues. Love the vehicle.

GearHead_1

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Vehicle
Exploder
There are a ton of reasons someone may have traded it in, maybe they just needed a truck but the fact that it went to auction is interesting. Lots of Ford Exec cars get turned in as well as dealer demos, Ford buy backs and perhaps even Driving Experience cars. I think that would bother me. Why wouldn’t the dealer that took it in on trade just not sell it on their lot. My dealer takes them to the auction when they want to distance themselves from the vehicle. I personally would be hesitant with that one.

zdubyadubya

Reactions
Vehicle
2020 ST
First start with the basic stuff. Run the carfax--see where it was sold. Try and check for a branded title. About now is when the buybacks will be repaired and start hitting dealer's lots (the 2020 driving experience cars too). Also check and see if the warranty was punched. That will tell you if it was a dealership exec car.

Autoworker

1000 Post Club
Reactions
First start with the basic stuff. Run the carfax--see where it was sold. Try and check for a branded title. About now is when the buybacks will be repaired and start hitting dealer's lots (the 2020 driving experience cars too). Also check and see if the warranty was punched. That will tell you if it was a dealership exec car.
I agree. Carfax will generally tell you about accident damage, Lemon, or buyback info . Seller isn't offering a report either.

Reactions
For that much money and the unknown, I personally would spend a few more $ and go new. Good luck either way!

KB-racer

Reactions
Can you drive it first!!?? I recently found the "perfect" "new" 20 (with 900 miles), but driving it told me it was not perfect. Had a bit of low speed whirring sound on acceleration (like a used 4 banger from 1993) - ok, that's a bit extreme, it wasn't that bad, but it convinced me i wanted to go 21 with under 30 miles on the clock.

Reactions
Agree. Take your time. Do a Solid test drive. 20 to 30 minutes. Keep radio off. Do a good walk around. I went through a couple with paint flaws. Just don’t have any regrets. I love my 2021 now.