Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

Only getting full boost for 1 or 2 gears

Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Explorer st
good day all,

ive been noticing a trend thats been getting progressively worse as time goes on. Lately when i floor it, i get about 18 psi for 1 or 2 gears and then it starts to go down to about 11 psi. ill try and post a video when i get a chance.

OP
S
Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Explorer st
Thread Starter #2
Well, video is "too large", anyone have an idea how I can upload it?

Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Ford F-150 Raptor
good day all,

ive been noticing a trend thats been getting progressively worse as time goes on. Lately when i floor it, i get about 18 psi for 1 or 2 gears and then it starts to go down to about 11 psi. ill try and post a video when i get a chance.
How's you get a boost gauge? That is odd.

FORZDA3

U.S. Air Force Veteran
Reactions
Vehicle
2021 Explorer ST
It’s likely normal. If you’re stock tune with stock intercooler that can happen as the boosted air heats up pretty quickly. As it heats up the ECU drops the allowed Load value in the LSPI table(s). If you’re looking at the OBD port data with a phone app watch the Load value as it happens.

OP
S
Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Explorer st
Thread Starter #6
It’s likely normal. If you’re stock tune with stock intercooler that can happen as the boosted air heats up pretty quickly. As it heats up the ECU drops the allowed Load value in the LSPI table(s). If you’re looking at the OBD port data with a phone app watch the Load value as it happens.
I have the cv fab intercooler, funny part is, if I let off the gas and hit it again I get full boost.

FORZDA3

U.S. Air Force Veteran
Reactions
Vehicle
2021 Explorer ST
I have the cv fab intercooler, funny part is, if I let off the gas and hit it again I get full boost.
Would need a full data log to figure that out then. In the earlier Ecoboost ECUs there is a timer setting for the time allowed in “overboost” to limit the time allowed at max power(Load/Torque). I’ll need to look into the HPTuners software to see if it still applies here.

Or you can buy a tune from ZFG with the HPT MPVI2+, MPVI3, or RTD device

OP
S
Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Explorer st
Thread Starter #8
Would need a full data log to figure that out then. In the earlier Ecoboost ECUs there is a timer setting for the time allowed in “overboost” to limit the time allowed at max power(Load/Torque). I’ll need to look into the HPTuners software to see if it still applies here.

Or you can buy a tune from ZFG with the HPT MPVI2+, MPVI3, or RTD device
Video is currently uploading, going to swap out my charge pipe for the stock one when I get home to see if it has to do with BOV

OP
S
Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Explorer st
Thread Starter #10
Update, I put the stock charge pipe on and no change, that rules out any problem with the bov

TMac

1000 Post Club
Reactions
You aren't the only person to see behavior like this, but there isn't enough information. The very first thing to consider is that the engine is seeing knock events that are causing it to pull timing and/or boost. Are you tuned? If so, you need to datalog. If you aren't running a tune, is this on a cold evening? Is the fuel different? I wouldn't immediately jump to a mechanical issue like the charge pipe since you can let off and restore the original boost settings. A video doesn't help. Agree with @FORZDA3 - if you're tuned, you need to datalog and address it with your tuner.

OP
S
Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Explorer st
Thread Starter #12
Stock tune, 93 octane shell, evening was about 65 degrees and about 60 percent humidity.

Data logging would be ideal but I don't have the software for it

TMac

1000 Post Club
Reactions
My assumption in this case (assumption with a capital "A") is that the ecu is seeing knock events due to the cooler weather and the higher efficiency of your intake and intercooler (any other mods?) and trying to protect the engine. Make sure you're truly on a good quality 93 octane gasoline. Disconnect the neg battery cable and press on the brakes to clear everything out of the adjustment tables. Leave cable disconnected for 10 minutes (just to make sure). Then after warming it up and driving around at a normal pace, try your acceleration again. If the same thing occurs, you're in need of tuning to take advantage of your modifications. To go a step further in diagnosis, and if you have access to e-85, add a couple of gallons of that to say half a tank of 93 and repeat the entire procedure. Report back.

Last edited:
OP
S
Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Explorer st
Thread Starter #14
Thanks @TMac I'll see what I can do tommorrow, as for mods it's just the basics, intake, exhaust, intercooler and charge pipe. I've tried a bunch of gas stations in my area, no difference, this has been an issue bugging me for about 2months now bit it seems to have gotten worse (more noticable) after the intercooler install.

TMac

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Without tuning, when you add the types of mods you have, you aren't significantly affecting the total HP/torque. However, between cooler weather and those mods you are lowering the RPM point at which the oem tuning begins to restrict torque. Since it seems to occur in higher gears that indicates that load is a factor (higher load in higher gears). That could be leading to boost spikes which would trigger the behavior. Your gauge shows 18 psi- If you put it in say 4th or 5th and punch it what RPM does that PSI appear?

Time to head to the tuner. Palm Beach Dyno is close to you, right?

OP
S
Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Explorer st
Thread Starter #16
Without tuning, when you add the types of mods you have, you aren't significantly affecting the total HP/torque. However, between cooler weather and those mods you are lowering the RPM point at which the oem tuning begins to restrict torque. Since it seems to occur in higher gears that indicates that load is a factor (higher load in higher gears). That could be leading to boost spikes which would trigger the behavior. Your gauge shows 18 psi- If you put it in say 4th or 5th and punch it what RPM does that PSI appear?

Time to head to the tuner. Palm Beach Dyno is close to you, right?
well i have an update, i did as you said, disconnected the batt for about 10 minutes while i put my charge pipe back on. took it out for a 10 minute drive to let it warm up, sadly the same thing, it seems to happen in the high 60's- low 70 mph range. i put it in 4th at 2000rpm and i didnt hit 17 psi until about 5-5.2k rpm.

palm beach dyno is up the road from me but i want to go with ZFG for my tuning needs, though ill probably wait until after the holidays since they just closed until december 5 i believe.

again i cant thank you enough for your input, it just seems like a problem ill have to deal with until i get tuned. i may.... big m, try and find an awd dyno near me to do some pulls to see if maybe adjusting the engine load will cause any affect.

side note, i had my obd2 scanner plugged in and i noticed it pulls timing pretty aggressively after the first shift.

TMac

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Yes, your mods are blowing past the engineering parameters. I'm betting massive boost spikes. I'd be very cautious about WOT pulls in cold weather until you get some tuning (and I'd recommend ZFG as well) that will give you a nice safe tune and more HP to boot. Good luck.

OP
S
Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Explorer st
Thread Starter #18
Yes, your mods are blowing past the engineering parameters. I'm betting massive boost spikes. I'd be very cautious about WOT pulls in cold weather until you get some tuning (and I'd recommend ZFG as well) that will give you a nice safe tune and more HP to boot. Good luck.

well that didnt take too much convincing, just pulled the trigger on a zfg 93 tune