Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

Onboard AT&T LTE Cell Service - Looking to Change Carrier / SIM Card Slot?

tontda

Reactions
Anyone know if it's possible to change the onboard LTE cell service from AT&T to a different carrier like Verizon? I'm still on my free 3 month plan as a new owner, but after the three month free promo, I'm wanting to change to Verizon. Is there a physical SIM card and SIM card slot somewhere on the vehicle where I can pop out the AT&T SIM and pop in a new (Verizon) SIM card when the time comes?

Reactions
There has to be somewhere, as ATT is a GSM carrier. I would love to switch the car to my firstnet account. My ST could have it's own phone number lol

Reactions
Following

Reactions
Did you have to sign up for the free three month plan or was it on automatically?

I would love to make the phone in the car a Google Fi phone.

OP
T

tontda

Reactions
Thread Starter #5
Did you have to sign up for the free three month plan or was it on automatically?

I would love to make the phone in the car a Google Fi phone.
Yes, download the FordPass app and follow the prompts in the App and on your vehicle touch screen to sign up for the free 3 month promo

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions
There has to be somewhere, as ATT is a GSM carrier. I would love to switch the car to my firstnet account. My ST could have it's own phone number lol
GSM was phased out with 3G. GSM is a 2G service. These days most carriers use 4G LTE and changing your SIM on an unlocked phone will take you between T-Mobile, AT&T, and Verizon.

Oh and the hotspot is data only.

Askarrel

911 Dispatcher
Reactions
Vehicle
2021 Explorer ST
im going to be doing more sync 3 mods soon and this is on the list....ive already modded my apim so i can load mods from a usb so there might be a mod out there....if i find one ill post it

AngelAbby

Reactions
I use T-Mobile Syncup Drive. It cost's $10 a month. 1623770163694.png

AngelAbby

Reactions
You can start by downloading the Syncup DRIVE App. Once you do that, you can scan the bar code with your smart phone and you have to enter the information of your car. Hopefully that helps!

Reactions
The T-Mobile Syncup Drive is unlimited data!
it says only 2gb highspeed LTE then 2G service after?? 2g service isn't worth a damn for anything.

hterry

Reactions
I've had the ATT in-car service for almost three years in Charlotte NC. It's fast and reliable here. The prepaid yearly unlimited works out to $16.67/mo. I am a Verizon phone customer, so having ATT in my car gives redundancy and WiFi call flexibility should big red be temporarily troublesome. The Unlimited ATT seems a good deal to me.

Sgt1411

Law Enforcement
Reactions
Vehicle
2021 ST
it says only 2gb highspeed LTE then 2G service after?? 2g service isn't worth a damn for anything.
There are still 2G sites out there?.......I was told all 2G was pulled in Canada/USA years ago.

As 5G pushes out we should see 3G hardware going obsolete soon so I would be very surprised if 2G sites still existed.

4G LTE will be the fall back for 5G

Reactions
This is my 4th Ford with the AT&T hotspot. Set up has always been easy and the service good. But I can’t get this one registered. AT&T keeps saying it’s an invalid VIN. AT&T says it’s Ford‘s problem. That they never submitted a “work order” to activate service. The dealer and Ford say all paperwork on their end is done And it’s AT&T’s problem. In Ford’s defense I did get notification of free trial from Sirius. But they’re pointing fingers at each other. AT&T asked me for the IMEI # and the SIM card #. That information is not on any of the settings screens, Ford ”customer service” has no record of what they installed. So, took it to the dealer yesterday and they took the driver side rear panel apart and snapped a picture of the Module that showed the IMEI #. But they said there is no actual SIM card like on your cell phone and it’s integrated into the module. AT&T says that’s not possible. So they’re still working on it with Ford. Finally AT&T, not Ford, took me out of the middle.

But, if someone does locate the sim card, please post where it is and how to get to it. Any other suggestions as to a resolution to my situation are greatly appreciated!!

Sgt1411

Law Enforcement
Reactions
Vehicle
2021 ST
This is my 4th Ford with the AT&T hotspot. Set up has always been easy and the service good. But I can’t get this one registered. AT&T keeps saying it’s an invalid VIN. AT&T says it’s Ford‘s problem. That they never submitted a “work order” to activate service. The dealer and Ford say all paperwork on their end is done And it’s AT&T’s problem. In Ford’s defense I did get notification of free trial from Sirius. But they’re pointing fingers at each other. AT&T asked me for the IMEI # and the SIM card #. That information is not on any of the settings screens, Ford ”customer service” has no record of what they installed. So, took it to the dealer yesterday and they took the driver side rear panel apart and snapped a picture of the Module that showed the IMEI #. But they said there is no actual SIM card like on your cell phone and it’s integrated into the module. AT&T says that’s not possible. So they’re still working on it with Ford. Finally AT&T, not Ford, took me out of the middle.

But, if someone does locate the sim card, please post where it is and how to get to it. Any other suggestions as to a resolution to my situation are greatly appreciated!!
I brought up the issue of the SIM in the OEM 4G modem and was told by various Ford Engineers who work on that component that the modem only has an eSIM. So the 4G LTE radio inside doesn't use a "hard" SIM its embedded eSIM.

Here is a definition I ripped from a cellular site.

An embedded SIM, or eSIM, cannot be removed. It’s a programmable SIM card that’s physically connected (soldered) to the motherboard. It does everything an external SIM card does, only you can’t physically remove it without breaking open the phone and unsoldering the chip.

Reactions
I brought up the issue of the SIM in the OEM 4G modem and was told by various Ford Engineers who work on that component that the modem only has an eSIM. So the 4G LTE radio inside doesn't use a "hard" SIM its embedded eSIM.

Here is a definition I ripped from a cellular site.

An embedded SIM, or eSIM, cannot be removed. It’s a programmable SIM card that’s physically connected (soldered) to the motherboard. It does everything an external SIM card does, only you can’t physically remove it without breaking open the phone and unsoldering the chip.[/QUOTE

Thank you very much. Very helpful information. I’ll pass it on to AT&T.