Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

Oil filter housing stem disintegrated

Reactions
Vehicle
2020 explorer st
My 2020 ST, threw a P0524 code. Checked oil pressure sensor for leaks. It was not that. However the sensor did not have any Teflon on the threads. So while I had it out. I put some on and re-installed.

Next I checked the oil filter. Only to find out that the middle stem that goes through the middle of the oil filter was in multiple pieces. It cracked higher up in the housing. Sucking the little o ring down the bottom of the aluminum housing block.

I could not believe it. What a bad design. First time I did an oil change on a vehicle with this kind of vehicle. The stem in the housing did not seem to be well made.

So I hooked up a shop vac and sucked out all the bits and pieces. There were smaller bits that must have fallen deeper inside and they all came out.

Since I wanted it fixed right away since it was blocking my driveway. Went to Ford dealer and bought an oil filter housing with filter. Part number 6a832. Cost was 65 dollars. They have them on Amazon for 15 bucks. So I ordered a spare. Installed the OEM one. Cleared the code.

Started up the engine. No codes. Then took a 20 minute trip. Everything seems fine now. Thank God for the extended warranty, just in case.

Cdubya

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
That's kind of crazy! Thanks for reporting your problem and resolution. Nice troubleshooting.

FORZDA3

U.S. Air Force Veteran
Reactions
Vehicle
2021 Explorer ST
How many oil/filter changes were done prior to this failure? Who did them?

Cdubya

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
How many oil/filter changes were done prior to this failure? Who did them?
Good questions. It's almost as if the center stem wasn't well seated but the housing was forced on anyways. Whoever did that must have known something wasn't right but didn't care or didn't want to be responsible. I have 65k and almost 4 years on my MY2020 and the housing is in great condition.

OP
deadhead20st
Reactions
Vehicle
2020 explorer st
Thread Starter #5
The truck only has 21k miles on it. I bought it when it has 11k miles. Who knows who did what prior to me purchasing it. I have personally done 3. Changed it over to full synthetic when I first bought it. Then additional 2. One for each year of ownership since not that many miles are driven. I always make sure it is seated properly and then torqued with my torque wrench to the proper foot pounds.

What I did notice that on the stem that went to pieces. Is that the middle to upper portion looks like a mesh cage design (not solid stem like the bottom half. The new housing from Ford, is 100% solid plastic type. It was seated properly as the o ring was found still seated at the bottom in the aluminum block.