Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

Oil cooler timer?

Stephen

Reactions
Does the ST need an oil cooler timer to keep cooling the turbos after turning the vehicle off? Is that a thing anymore on modern cars? Or is it a non issue with normal driving?

Reactions
I used to love my turbo timer on my old Mazdaspeed3 haha but I'm assuming with the newer cars it's not as necessary but it probably wouldn't hurt!

Reactions
ahhh, turbo timers that kept the engine running for a predetermined amount of time. I had turbo timers on my turbo DSMs back in the day. The exhaust manifold would literally get red hot, so yeah, shutting down the engine and letting the oil coke on the turbo shaft was a real issue.

For normal driving I wouldn't be too concerned. If you do a few WOT passes I would drive easy for a few minutes to get op temps back to normal range. Don't go for the 1/4 draggy world championship then immediately shut your engine off.

Explorer ST Posts