Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

Official Curbing Thread

Polo08816

U.S. Army Veteran
Law Enforcement
Reactions
Vehicle
2014 BMW 335i
My wife Take 2 - Drivers side wheel now. Switch back to stock 20’s because it is cheaper than Divorce! Lol
She did say I can get new wheels. I am going 305/40/22 next time for the sidewall View attachment 21272
I've never heard of that tire brand: Ironman?

F=MA

Reactions
305/40/22 is not going to correct poor depth perception. You need a set of those plastic rim protectors.

Polo08816

U.S. Army Veteran
Law Enforcement
Reactions
Vehicle
2014 BMW 335i
305/40/22 is not going to correct poor depth perception. You need a set of those plastic rim protectors.

Or just 18 or 20 inch wheels with 265 width tires - they are also less susceptible to wheel damage from curbing.

Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Ford Explorer ST
Or just 18 or 20 inch wheels with 265 width tires - they are also less susceptible to wheel damage from curbing.
I threw my factory 20s back on they’re my winter tires anyway and we’re expecting snow in Jersey.

These things happen, my wife is usually very mindful driver. She was trying to get our daughter to basketball practice in a rush and took a corner too short in the drive-through. That’s why I have a cap on what I spent on wheels and tires and I always buy an extra wheel

DaveG ST

U.S. Army Veteran
Reactions
I've never heard of that tire brand: Ironman?
They are a decent mid-grade tire. I have the Gen3's on my daughter's car and they ride great and handle well. I will say that 2020STAWD, those are much too short of a tire for the ST.

Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Ford Explorer ST
They are a decent mid-grade tire. I have the Gen3's on my daughter's car and they ride great and handle well. I will say that 2020STAWD, those are much too short of a tire for the ST.
They’re pretty much the same exact height as the 275/45/21 OEM tires. It has to do with the angle I’m sitting in my driveway that’s why it looks like they’re such a large gap.

Polo08816

U.S. Army Veteran
Law Enforcement
Reactions
Vehicle
2014 BMW 335i
They’re pretty much the same exact height as the 275/45/21 OEM tires. It has to do with the angle I’m sitting in my driveway that’s why it looks like they’re such a large gap.
I think that's @DaveG ST 's point. If they are the same overall diameter, then the sidewall is too short/small.

SF02112

U.S. Army Veteran
Reactions
Vehicle
2021 Explorer ST
I can totally relate...I don't have a photo to share, but I damaged mine almost identical to yours....on the 2 year anniversary of taking delivery of it no less. Thankful that we bought the wheel and tire protection warranty when we bought the vehicle- Had a new wheel installed at my dealer. I hope you were/are able to get it repaired or replaced.