Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

Officer NOT HAPPY with the performance of his Explorer Police Interceptor

CareerFiremanGuy

1000 Post Club
Firefighter/EMT
Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Ford Explorer ST
Let's hope it was the 3.3L model. On the bright side, he was impressed with the Tahoe Police Unit!

(starts at 17:08)

Sgt1411

Law Enforcement
Reactions
Vehicle
2021 ST
I guess he can't read the Michigan State Police Testing results then.............aka User Error.

Reactions
Vehicle
N/A
I don't know if he was yielding to the primary chase officer, but at 4:59 there's a Tahoe already at speed that doesn't catch up to the suspect. He probably could have pitted him and ended the chase right there.

I remember watching a video where a guy in a Ford Focus takes off on an officer with a Tahoe and it takes a looooooong time for him to catch back up with him. They seem awfully slow.

That being said, isn't the 3.3L Hybrid Interceptor actually faster than the 3.7L Interceptors? Or is there another engine used by LE? I remember reading an article in C&D that tested the Hybrid as being faster all around.

Reactions
Alot of departments choose to order hybrids which are total POS and are in the shop quite a bit. The twin turbo interceptor is way faster than the hybrid but cities do order or need them. It appears he is driving a hybrid so POS is an accurate description.
Departments can set the squads up to have limits on top speed and limits to acceleration especially for cities/jurisdictions that don't allow pursuits. That's the world we live in unfortunately.

OP
CareerFiremanGuy

CareerFiremanGuy

1000 Post Club
Firefighter/EMT
Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Ford Explorer ST
Thread Starter #5

Sgt1411

Law Enforcement
Reactions
Vehicle
2021 ST
Alot of departments choose to order hybrids which are total POS and are in the shop quite a bit. The twin turbo interceptor is way faster than the hybrid but cities do order or need them. It appears he is driving a hybrid so POS is an accurate description.
Departments can set the squads up to have limits on top speed and limits to acceleration especially for cities/jurisdictions that don't allow pursuits. That's the world we live in unfortunately.
That's a very good point, the top speed is able to be set by an Agency garage using the Ford IDS.

Reactions
Vehicle
2020 ST
A chance encounter with a local LEO confirms this. She said the hybrid was a dog, despite the "paper" superiority.

Sgt1411

Law Enforcement
Reactions
Vehicle
2021 ST
A chance encounter with a local LEO confirms this. She said the hybrid was a dog, despite the "paper" superiority.
I drive them every day, that's absolutely untrue........did she work part time at CNN by chance?

Michigan State Police Precision Driving Team know what they are doing when they test.

Fake News.

OP
CareerFiremanGuy

CareerFiremanGuy

1000 Post Club
Firefighter/EMT
Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Ford Explorer ST
Thread Starter #9
I drive them every day, that's absolutely untrue........did she work part time at CNN by chance?

Michigan State Police Precision Driving Team know what they are doing when they test.

Fake News.
I also despise Fake News, but the Explorer Hybrid reaching 60mph in 7.25 sec isn't really that fast. Right?

Reactions
Vehicle
2020 ST

Fake News.
Her complaint was when they're just puttering around on the battery and need to kick it, it kinda says "Did you need something?"

OP
CareerFiremanGuy

CareerFiremanGuy

1000 Post Club
Firefighter/EMT
Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Ford Explorer ST
Thread Starter #12
No, it isn't. My Hemi Ram was almost that quick.
Kind of what I thought.

Her complaint was when they're just puttering around on the battery and need to kick it, it kinda says "Did you need something?"
Well, it least it was polite. Lol

ARC

Law Enforcement
Reactions
Vehicle
2022 ST Black
They also need to take into account the hundreds of pounds added on with light bar, cage, possible rear vault, etc.

Reactions
True but the hybrid still sucks for pursuits. They are quick up to 30-40 then the gas motor kicks in and between the regular equipment and the hybrid components they are quite a bit heavier than the straight gas explorer. I will take straight gas vehicle over any hybrid more reliable and quicker top end.

Sgt1411

Law Enforcement
Reactions
Vehicle
2021 ST
Officers forget that their Fleet people have the ability through Ford IDS to detune the vehicles, this may or may not have been done to this unit.

We don't know what kind of extra weight this unit is carrying which will degrade performance.

Many Agencies also are remiss in getting their vehicles updated.

TSB-22-2046 Deals specifically with ......2020-2021 Explorer/Police Interceptor Utility vehicles equipped with 3.3L Hybrid engine may exhibit delayed acceleration response, hesitation, and/or a buck/jerk condition at low speeds with no DTCs present