Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

Octane Boost?

Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
With the gas prices constantly rising I am probably going to put my ride back to the stock tune file. I wanted to know if anyone has had success with using a “Real” octane booster fuel additive, not the stuff off the shelf at Auto zone or Advance? I was pondering if I keep the performance tune on and fill with 89 octane if a booster would get it up to 93 and would it be worth the time and effort? Any input from any of y’all would be greatly appreciated.

UNBROKEN

4000 Post Club
Reactions
It would wind up costing just as much to run Boostane as it would just to fill it up with 93.

OP
Big Dummy
Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
Thread Starter #3
I kinda figured that would be the case.. thanks for the info Unbroken.

Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Explorer ST Star White
each bottle is only good for partial point, like 87 and a bottle of octane booster will get it to like 87.3 or 87.6 for example so youd need alot of bottles...

UNBROKEN

4000 Post Club
Reactions
each bottle is only good for partial point, like 87 and a bottle of octane booster will get it to like 87.3 or 87.6 for example so youd need alot of bottles...
A blanket statement like that just isn’t true. The better products like BOOSTane will come up several points depending on the blend.

Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Explorer ST Star White
A blanket statement like that just isn’t true. The better products like BOOSTane will come up several points depending on the blend.
good point, was referring to the off the shelf junk in auto stores

TMac

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Most octane boosters are based on toluene (or xylene) and MMT- a different product than the lead used in the olden days, but I wouldn't run it in my vehicle on a long term basis. It's just not a viable option for catalytic converters long-term. Not to mention, how are you going to truly monitor the effective octane rating? It's just not worth the trouble.

If you truly wanted a viable long-term solution to running lower-octane fuel, you'd have to look into a water or water/meth injection system. Of course, then you have to deal with the tank going dry and distribution issues. Either pay the price to buy the right fuel or get a tune for what you can afford.