Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

Novice wheel question…

Reactions
If I’m looking to run a 22 in rim and I’m not overly concerned about the weight of it, ( I’m not racing it ) are there any other recommended rim / wheel combos that will improve the ride “feel” and grip Over stock?

I just want it to look mean… ( and ride great )

UNBROKEN

4000 Post Club
Reactions
Lighter is always better. The less unsprung weight you have the better the feel and handling will be. Unfortunately that means forged or flow-forged. Cast wheels will always be much heavier.
Compare tire weights as well. As an example Nitto tires like the 420 tend to run as much as 5-6lbs heavier than say a Pirelli in a 305/40/22.

Reactions
Vehicle
2021 Explorer ST
If I’m looking to run a 22 in rim and I’m not overly concerned about the weight of it, ( I’m not racing it ) are there any other recommended rim / wheel combos that will improve the ride “feel” and grip Over stock?

I just want it to look mean… ( and ride great )
I agree dont worry about weight you would need to put carbon fiber wheels on to notice and then still might not.
looks and comfort dont go together lol well in my taste for looks at least.
the stock tires sidewall is to big for my liking but if you go smaller you will notice that. Some like the little rubber band look (not me) and that rides the worst IMO.
If you go 22s personally I would keep the same tire height as stock. Lots of guys have 22s and I am sure you can see what size they running. I did see an ST with 24s and IMO they were a bit to big.
you can be a first and go 23"
for that mean look is totally dependent on the person buy what you like. Wheels are crazy expensive and crazy wait times right now specially the bigger name company's. I prefer the bigger names the fit and finish IMO is worth the extra money.
I think a lot of people buy wheels just to buy wheels and go with cheaper brands I was never a fan of that but its not my money or my car so again thats up to you.
as far as grip I am a big fan of Michelin Pilot Super Sports. or the real P-Zeros. called just P-zero nothing after that.

OP
DudeMasterson
Reactions
Thread Starter #4
All great info an very much appreciated. I not looking to go cheap. i keep coming back to rims I see on the internet that have a little red in them. I have the agate black ST. And like red accents. I do like the look of some but do not wanna compromise the ride. Tons of knowledge on this site, and every mod I’ve done so far I’ve culled from this group. And every mod has made my ST alot better. Particularly the way it rides. Springs, sway bar, tune etc…

so I’m batting 1000 and wanna keep it going.

Reactions
Vehicle
2021 Explorer ST
All great info an very much appreciated. I not looking to go cheap. i keep coming back to rims I see on the internet that have a little red in them. I have the agate black ST. And like red accents. I do like the look of some but do not wanna compromise the ride. Tons of knowledge on this site, and every mod I’ve done so far I’ve culled from this group. And every mod has made my ST alot better. Particularly the way it rides. Springs, sway bar, tune etc…

so I’m batting 1000 and wanna keep it going.
That’s awesome and prob what I like most about these sites. People sharing their mods and how they work ect.
if springs didn’t bother you maybe smaller profile tires won’t either? I doubt I’m putting wheels on this SUV but if I was I’d look into 23” wheels and go from there. But that’s me I’m weird.
Good set of wheels will be right about 8-10k and good tires about 2-2.5k
You did say you wanted the mean look? Nothing meaner then a set of beadlock welds on some Mickey Thompson. lol good luck in your search that’s half the fun for me.

UNBROKEN

4000 Post Club
Reactions
A good set of wheels for these is definitely not $8-10K. Not even close.

Reactions
Vehicle
2021 Explorer ST
A good set of wheels for these is definitely not $8-10K. Not even close.
Depends what you call good.

Reactions
Vehicle
2021 Explorer ST
This is my favorite wheel and will put on my K5 blazer. Wouldn’t mind it in the explorer also but I actually like the stock wheels a lot. Not to mention these are about 6k each wheel. I like to waste money but not on my work car. My blazer that’s different and I’m going all out on that.

Attachments

Reactions
Vehicle
2021 Explorer ST
However, I wouldn’t know if they,re Good.
What brand did you look at?
i personally like the big brand wheels due to the looks. Their fit and finish blow away lesser brands. You don’t need any of this I was just offering my input. I’ve been building high end cars / trucks for awhile now. I have my own lil quirks and wheels are one of them. That and paint. You think wheels cost a lot lol. Good luck post the brand of wheels you like. Or the wheel

OP
DudeMasterson
Reactions
Thread Starter #12
What brand did you look at?
i personally like the big brand wheels due to the looks. Their fit and finish blow away lesser brands. You don’t need any of this I was just offering my input. I’ve been building high end cars / trucks for awhile now. I have my own lil quirks and wheels are one of them. That and paint. You think wheels cost a lot lol. Good luck post the brand of wheels you like. Or the wheel
I’m all over the plac quite frankly. The ones I like the looks of don’t seem to be “ high end “ and since this is my daily driver I don’t want anything that won’t ride nice. Very confusing…

OP
DudeMasterson
Reactions
Thread Starter #13
I’m all over the plac quite frankly. The ones I like the looks of don’t seem to be “ high end “ and since this is my daily driver I don’t want anything that won’t ride nice. Very confusing…
ill post some ideas

Reactions
Vehicle
2021 Explorer ST
If you like them that’s all that matters. They don’t have to cost a lot to make a “good wheel”. That’s preference and application.
I hope I’m not confusing you more. I like high end wheels for the looks. I don’t own a Lambo noting is for performance with me at least. I love carbon fiber looks. It just happens to be strong and light and high performance.
I’d bet they wheels your loookimg at are just fine.

UNBROKEN

4000 Post Club
Reactions
Depends what you call good.
BC Forged, ADV.1, Velgen Forged, SuperForged….all wheels of the highest quality that can be had for $4-6K for a set of 22” wheels made to your specs.

UNBROKEN

4000 Post Club
Reactions
A quick internet search revealed around $10 k for for forged rims.
I’ve owned 10-15 sets of forged wheels…only 1 time did I pay close to $10K but I just HAD to have those wheels. See the above post.

UNBROKEN

4000 Post Club
Reactions
This is my favorite wheel and will put on my K5 blazer. Wouldn’t mind it in the explorer also but I actually like the stock wheels a lot. Not to mention these are about 6k each wheel. I like to waste money but not on my work car. My blazer that’s different and I’m going all out on that.
Those wheels use carbon fiber barrels…they hardly fit into what the op is asking about and aren’t representative of forged aluminum wheel pricing.

zdubyadubya

Reactions
Vehicle
2020 ST
A true apples to apples comparison would be the AGL22…. Which is you guessed it, $5999.

Or Forgeline or even freaking Vossens. There is sooooo many options in the flow formed space that you could get nice set of wheels for only a $2k-$3k. They won’t be gucci but they will be miles better than any cast OEM offering.

If I’m spending $10k+, I’m only going to support American billet and American CNC though.

Reactions
Vehicle
2021 Explorer ST
BC Forged, ADV.1, Velgen Forged, SuperForged….all wheels of the highest quality that can be had for $4-6K for a set of 22” wheels made to your specs.
Like I said depends what you call good. That’s what makes American the best place in the world we are all free to have choices and opinions.

Reactions
Vehicle
2021 Explorer ST
Those wheels use carbon fiber barrels…they hardly fit into what the op is asking about and aren’t representative of forged aluminum wheel pricing.
I wasn’t doing anything other then showing the OP my favorite wheel and what it costs. There are levels to this game some play at different levels.