Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

Not Quite Official (Now It Is)

GearHead_1

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Vehicle
Exploder
Don’t think I can be considered a real member at this point. I’ve bought and paid for an ST but it won’t be built until March. Anyway, thanks for having me.

Symetry

U.S. Army Veteran
Reactions
I thought I was going to have to wait for an ordered one also.
Went dealer to order exactly the one I wanted.
All the dealers are attached at the hip.
Within 20 minutes he found exactly what I would have ordered....got it in 2 days.

Might be worth a try.

Jim

OP
GearHead_1

GearHead_1

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Vehicle
Exploder
Thread Starter #3
We tried that too but I don’t want a sun roof and anything within 500 miles had one in Rapid Red. We also wanted a 35/30/35 2nd row seat.

Symetry

U.S. Army Veteran
Reactions
I got lucky , no sun roof and no roof rails...in White.

100 miles away , they went and got it same day.

Gotta get what ya want.
That waiting would be hard.

Jim

OP
GearHead_1

GearHead_1

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Vehicle
Exploder
Thread Starter #5
My new son in law hit some debris on the freeway and blew out both driver side tires. He did an endo in his 2008 Civic and ended in the barrow pit. Fortunately he was not injured but the car was totaled. The insurance paid out but it wasn’t really enough to put them back into what I considered to be a safe/reasonable car. They have just purchased a brand new home about 3 months ago, their coffers were not full. Well... what’s a Dad to do? My Edge had all of 15,000 miles on it. We let them take that for a “too good to be true price” if you catch my drift. Well that left Mama without wheels.

It’s not like there are all that many packages to choose from on one of these ST’s. We want the Street Pack, Technology Pack, Rails, 2nd Row Bench Seat etc. I looked at the Trac Pack and though I’m willing to give the ultra high performance brake pads a try but the Michelin Pilots just aren’t the best choice in Utah’s snow so no Track Pack. We could find vehicles that very nearly matched those options on the car lots but not exactly. I’d have gone with White or Blue as easily as Red. They told us we could change colors for two weeks from the time of order. My wife and I went out yesterday to different dealers to see if the had one in a different color that was close to what we want.

I’m a guy that appreciates the ease of maintenance on a white vehicle. Don’t get me wrong, I’ve got many $$$’s tied up in chemicals, buffers and supplies, my vehicles have never seen a tunnel wash and they are cleaned thoroughly and often but I’m not opposed to the relative ease of white. The last 10 we’ve bought have been white, it’s just what I order. My F150 Platinum is white all my kids cars are now white.

Star White is nice. My wife is a very practical women and looked at these. I said we could get this white one and she said, “we just as well buy another Edge” (emphasis added), no one will know we’ve changed a thing. ;) I truly wasn’t expecting that kind of comment from her. I didn’t think she ever cared what the neighbors might think. We‘ve had a couple of Edges and she wanted something slightly larger. I knew at that time it was going to be the Rapid Red we’d ordered.

My dealer whom I’ve done a lot of business with over the past 20 years has given us an 2018 Edge loaner to drive. We’re not hurting for something to drive and ultimately she’ll be driving the Explorer. I’ll just be patient.

Last edited:
OP
GearHead_1

GearHead_1

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Vehicle
Exploder
Thread Starter #7
Thank you.

OP
GearHead_1

GearHead_1

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Vehicle
Exploder
Thread Starter #9
Thank you. Nothing more I can do at this point, it’s in Ford’s hands, not sure I find that comforting. It’s paid for. Our dealer said if we’d only been a week earlier we’d have made the cut for the February build date. So we wait with a smile.

I figure at the very least I’ll have digested much of what’s on this forum and had a chance to read the owners manual. I should know more about this than my last F150 when I got it.

Learned a lot already. Heck, found out about the ST Driving Experience and if the website is correct they’ll be taking sign ups for 2021. I think I can bet the VIN number a bit early so that may work out to be a good thing. I’m here in Utah and if they do it in Park City again, it’s a no brainer.

Symetry

U.S. Army Veteran
Reactions
Well, keep us up to date on your progress.

Just in case I want another one :giggle:

Jim

OP
GearHead_1

GearHead_1

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Vehicle
Exploder
Thread Starter #11
OP
GearHead_1

GearHead_1

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Vehicle
Exploder
Thread Starter #12
Got word today that my ST will arrive next week.

OP
GearHead_1

GearHead_1

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Vehicle
Exploder
Thread Starter #14
Well... now it’s official. It’s sitting in my garage in the plastic and quite dirty which is how I receive my cars. Never liked the idea of a lot employee dragging rags across my finish. That said, I‘ve been under the weather lately. I really don’t know when I’ll get to it. At least it’s home.

Reactions
Well... now it’s official. It’s sitting in my garage in the plastic and quite dirty which is how I receive my cars. Never liked the idea of a lot employee dragging rags across my finish. That said, I‘ve been under the weather lately. I really don’t know when I’ll get to it. At least it’s home.
Congrats Dude! Post up some pics when you are feeling better and have a chance to clean her up.

OP
GearHead_1

GearHead_1

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Vehicle
Exploder
Thread Starter #16
Will do. I did get a few shots of it in the plastic but they’re not very impressive. I was just telling my wife that I ought to walk out and take that stuff off and place the floor mats etc. Thought about it some more and sat right here in my chair. I’ve been rat holing some parts over the past 3 months. Gotta put the mud flaps on, got some gorilla black lug nuts, Red Line hood struts, Steeda sway bar and an auto stop eliminator but I guess they’ll all wait for a different day. It’s Rapid Red.

Reactions
Love me some Rapid Red. Very nice color choice!... I may be biased.;)
1616269919749.png

OP
GearHead_1

GearHead_1

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Vehicle
Exploder
Thread Starter #18
Have to give my wife credit for the color choice. I typically buy white and she didn’t want another white car, so here we are.

Autoworker

1000 Post Club
Reactions
You've been waiting awhile, savor the moment and enjoy!

Reactions
Nice! I’m the same way with taking delivery unwashed.