Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

No CD player,. but flash drive

Symetry

U.S. Army Veteran
Reactions
I knew that the ST didn't have a cd player.
And, I have hundreds of cds.
So now that I've had the ST for 5 days and it's too cold to be in garage tinkering.

So I started playing around on my laptop , and, finally figured out a way to download my CDs onto a 32 gig flash drive in an MP3 format.

Takes time to RIP the tracks to computer , but syncs to flash drive quickly.

Tried it last night and figured out ,
you've got to name the CD , and the artist, so that you can browse thru the flash drive and pick the album or artist , then select track you want to play.

Sooo , I'll be spending some time transferring my cds.

Anybody else doing this?
Any tips?

Jim

Cdubya

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
Since the days of streaming, I haven't ripped too many CDs to MP3 but let me just say that you definitely should back up your library to a 2nd or even 3rd source.

OP
Symetry

Symetry

U.S. Army Veteran
Reactions
Thread Starter #3
I found it so convenient to just plug in the flash drive , and select any album, any artist , any track , any genre that's my favorites, commercial free.

I also do Spotify and You tube , but it's not as easy operating , and Spotify has too many ads, Sirius is ok, but you gotta pay.

Besides , it keeps me outta trouble and outta the wife's way.:)

Jim

Reactions
I also used to have a zillion cd's. I ripped them several years back when auto manufacturers and home audio systems started moving away from cd's.

Reactions
I found it so convenient to just plug in the flash drive , and select any album, any artist , any track , any genre that's my favorites, commercial free.

I also do Spotify and You tube , but it's not as easy operating , and Spotify has too many ads, Sirius is ok, but you gotta pay.

Besides , it keeps me outta trouble and outta the wife's way.:)

Jim
Make sure you use the Microsoft media player for ripping your cd's because it ripps all the info for you ie artist & track title as well as album art.

OP
Symetry

Symetry

U.S. Army Veteran
Reactions
Thread Starter #6
Make sure you use the Microsoft media player for ripping your cd's because it ripps all the info for you ie artist & track title as well as album art.
Thanks, that's what I'm using.
I see the pic of the artist and the artist and album title.

Browse works great.

Haven't tried "voice" yet.

Jim

Blackssr

Reactions
I knew that the ST didn't have a cd player.
And, I have hundreds of cds.
So now that I've had the ST for 5 days and it's too cold to be in garage tinkering.

So I started playing around on my laptop , and, finally figured out a way to download my CDs onto a 32 gig flash drive in an MP3 format.

Takes time to RIP the tracks to computer , but syncs to flash drive quickly.

Tried it last night and figured out ,
you've got to name the CD , and the artist, so that you can browse thru the flash drive and pick the album or artist , then select track you want to play.

Sooo , I'll be spending some time transferring my cds.

Anybody else doing this?
Any tips?

Jim
Windows 10 easily handles this. I'd suggest ripping at 320 kbs. It will give you the cleanest sound. I had ripped 500 CDs in my collection years ago and put them on my video distribution server. I put about 2000 of my favorite songs on a 32 gig micro flash drive and plugged it into the ST USB port.
These are what I use. I purchased on Amazon.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0885RK84Z/ref=cm_sw_r_u_apa_i_vWeaGb1C7WDFX

Last edited:

zdubyadubya

Reactions
Vehicle
2020 ST
This is a really interesting thread to me for a strange reason. I'm pretty sure I'm the youngest user on here by a fair margin (at least from what i can tell) and I actually find being my own dj to be an incredibly frustrating and indecisive experience. I can only listen to music using pandora or spotify or apple music on my phone--letting their various algorithms choose playlists or music for me based on my listening history--i don't think i've intentionally put on an album in 15 years... i wonder if this a generational thing instead of a technology thing. i just always assumed that phones had made cds and thumb drives with music less commonly used. how do you guys decide what you want to listen to? or do you just hit shuffle on your personal catalog and run with it?

GearHead_1

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Vehicle
Exploder
@Symetry, that’s the only way I’ve listed to music over the past decade. I have a few thumb drives with 2 or 3 hundred songs on them and just leave them in the USB port.

OP
Symetry

Symetry

U.S. Army Veteran
Reactions
Thread Starter #10
This is a really interesting thread to me for a strange reason. I'm pretty sure I'm the youngest user on here by a fair margin (at least from what i can tell) and I actually find being my own dj to be an incredibly frustrating and indecisive experience. I can only listen to music using pandora or spotify or apple music on my phone--letting their various algorithms choose playlists or music for me based on my listening history--i don't think i've intentionally put on an album in 15 years... i wonder if this a generational thing instead of a technology thing. i just always assumed that phones had made cds and thumb drives with music less commonly used. how do you guys decide what you want to listen to? or do you just hit shuffle on your personal catalog and run with it?
I installed "Youtube Music"
I selected my favorite artists and my favorite songs .
You can see each artist up in playlist, and then select that artist and play all tracks or a track right off sync3 screen.
You can also do it from flash drive .

I don't like listening to music I don't like.

Jim

Last edited:

GearHead_1

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Vehicle
Exploder
Like you I have hundreds and hundreds of LP, CD’s, Cassettes, almost a Terabyte worth. Much of that on the drive I don’t even like. I figure why not listen to what I really want to hear.

OP
Symetry

Symetry

U.S. Army Veteran
Reactions
Thread Starter #12
Like you I have hundreds and hundreds of LP, CD’s, Cassettes, almost a Terabyte worth. Much of that on the drive I don’t even like. I figure why not listen to what I really want to hear.
Yep, even my favorite artists have some songs that suck, so I just don't load them.

We should have a thread to show/play our love for our music.
Everything is on YouTube.

Jim

GearHead_1

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Vehicle
Exploder
Heck yeah? A “what are you listening to today?” Thread

OP
Symetry

Symetry

U.S. Army Veteran
Reactions
Thread Starter #14
Heck yeah? A “what are you listening to today?” Thread
:LOL: watch for it.
Heck I'm retired, been that way since 2001, it's cold outside, snow coming to KY tonight.

I like my music ..mine just happens to be geezer music.:ROFLMAO:

Jim

Reactions
When you format your flash drive, do you use the FAT format or FAT32 format?

PostmanRP

Reactions
I have a usb with music on it but since my plan with Verizon includes Apple Music I just use car play and stream from my phone