Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

New ST Owner, Bad Luck

Mackdaddy

U.S. Coast Guard Veteran
Law Enforcement
Reactions
Vehicle
2023 Explorer ST replaced my 2022 that was totaled
Just an update, they scheduled an appointment for 2/21/23 for the rear end hit from 1/6/23, well low and behold we were T-boned on the driver's side on 2/5/23, before they even got chance to appraise damage from first hit, they towed it away 2/21/23 2 days ago, now I'm just waiting to see what the outcome going to be with it, mad and sad in sunny Florida.

Cajun Heat

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Explorer ST
Just an update, they scheduled an appointment for 2/21/23 for the rear end hit from 1/6/23, well low and behold we were T-boned on the driver's side on 2/5/23, before they even got chance to appraise damage from first hit, they towed it away 2/21/23 2 days ago, now I'm just waiting to see what the outcome going to be with it, mad and sad in sunny Florida.
Damn it!

Mackdaddy

U.S. Coast Guard Veteran
Law Enforcement
Reactions
Vehicle
2023 Explorer ST replaced my 2022 that was totaled
and a few other choice words that I said, lol

OP
E
Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Explorer ST
Thread Starter #24
Jeeze man! That sucks. At that point, I would be hoping it is a total loss.

Any pictures of the damage? I hope everything works out the way you want in the end :(

I just realized both of our cars have the same build date. And we might be part of the new recall about the transmissions lol...

Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Explorer ST
First and foremost God bless your family is safe. Second every car I have ever owned I have installed a tow hitch. I do tow a few trailers with my trucks, but as far as my cars that have never seen a trailer in their life, including my BMW has one. They will absorb a rear end impact.
Yep. I’ve had four different Explorers and all have had the towing package. Not because I tow a bunch but for the ability of the hitch to absorb a rear end impact. I’ve had it happen to me twice while sitting in traffic and in both cases it minimized the damage to my vehicle but took out the car that hit me by the hitch going through their radiator and into the engine block. With the first one I felt bad for the driver because it was a brand new vehicle and he got pushed into me by the driver behind him who didn’t brake. In the second one, the driver hit me and tried to drive off but again the hitch had damaged his radiator and block so he didn’t get far. Turns out he was driving on a revoked license, didn’t have insurance and a warrant for his arrest. It was an insurance nightmare but the hitch kept it from being worse than it could have been on my end. Will never own another vehicle without one. :)

Reactions
Vehicle
2020 ST
I didn't read through the entire thread, but you might want to contact Auto Owner's Insurance. A fender-bender in my Limited was handled without ANY drama, including the rental (which I didn't really need and returned the next day).

Reactions
Make sure you get paid out for diminished value also.

F=MA

Reactions
Anyone picking up on the theme of gray ST's getting rear ended here or is it just me?

Billetman

Reactions
Vehicle
2023 EXplorer ST
Wow that's crazy glad your family is safe. I bought a new Acura MDX in 2010 it was rear ended twice in the first two weeks, had not even made my first payment. My MDX was silver maybe that was the problem. My new ST is white so hopefully it can be seen.

philcwood

Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Ford Explorer ST
Greetings, we traded in the wife’s 2020 Santa Fe for a 2022 Explorer ST. We were very excited and loved the vehicle! Sadly, that didn’t last long. We purchased the vehicle Wednesday evening and the following morning someone rear ended my wife with our kid in the car. At first, the damage didn’t look bad, but the right side of the exhaust got pushed in and it was rubbing against the rear tire. The other vehicle, didn’t do so well. My wife was at a dead stop waiting to turn left and the lady didn’t even brake and slammed right into her going 30mph (according to the other driver’s insurance). We had the vehicle towed to a reputable body shop and they’re slammed, it might take a few weeks before they can take a look at it, on top of possible part shortages. So we might not get the ST back for another month or more, depending what needs to be replaced. I am thankful the vehicle kept my wife and kid safe, according to both of them, they barely felt it and were in complete shock someone hit them.

crossing my fingers for a quick turn around time and getting the ST back! She didn’t even hit 100 miles on the odometer yet!
Sorry to hear this. I’ve had this happen with another new vehicle. The thought of driving a new damaged vehicle isn’t pleasant.

blackdog

U.S. Navy Veteran
Reactions
Vehicle
2021 Explorer ST
Glad to see you have your ST back from repairs. Now you should do what I did and add one of these. It won't stop everything, but it will stop most damage from knuckleheads who don't pay attention. I had one on one of my older Explorers. I was stopped at a light and rear ended just like your wife. It bent the bumper protector, but nothing else was damaged.

Black Horse Rear Black Bumper Protector Hitch Step BLK-RBP1000A | RealTruck

OP
E
Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Explorer ST
Thread Starter #32
Make sure you get paid out for diminished value also.
We just filed the claim, waiting for their response. State Farm tried telling us Illinois is not a diminished value state, we were on the phone with them for an hour, only for them to tell us the instructions to submit the claim is via document and attach all documents. This e-mail is the same one available on their website... Felt like we wasted an hour of our life.

Explorer ST Posts