Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

NEW Product Alert! The AWR Racing rear diff mount

Reactions
Vehicle
2021 Explorer Platinum
Question? Should I wait for this recall/inspection before installing the brace? I do not want to give the dealer any added ammunition hahahaha.

Tommy
I'm installing the AWR mount on my '21 Platinum in the days to come. Towing the trailer is my concern.
I can't afford to have my vehicle in the shop for weeks waiting on labor availability and parts in the event of a bolt fracture while towing or worse an accident..

Last edited:
Reactions
Vehicle
2021 Explorer Platinum
Arrived today, well packaged and with some goodies.
IMG_0127.JPG IMG_0128.JPG IMG_0129.JPG

Last edited:
Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Explorer ST Star White
mine came today as well,weekend project

Reactions
Got mine today as well. Hopefully get it in tomorrow!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Ford Explorer ST
Got mine the other day but I didn't have the right tools to get the 3 o'clock bolt off. Ordered a E18 wrench that should be here tomorrow, didn't feel like damaging that damn bolt with a standard wrench.... Or getting myself all worked up LOL

CareerFiremanGuy

1000 Post Club
Firefighter/EMT
Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Ford Explorer ST
Let's see some install vids people!

Last edited:
Reactions
Vehicle
probably twice the size and weight I was expecting and quality built that’s for sure

Reactions
Vehicle
And get an e18 wrench, socket wont fit the 3 o’clock position bolt, 13mm box end kind of fits but rather not chew it up

GearHead_1

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Vehicle
Exploder
probably twice the size and weight I was expecting and quality built that’s for sure
Agreed, it was quite a bit heavier than I assumed it would be. It appears to be very well built.

Reactions
That’s what she said!!! sorry I couldn’t resist!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Ricky

Reactions
Installed. Couple things that may help. E18 wrench as others suggested. If you have the 4-bolt set up, go in from the passenger's side and slide the base plate over to the driver's side it sets in place the correct way but if you go in from the driver's side the 2nd bolt gets in your way. Watch AWR install video and you will see it pass the opening on the passenger's side; it will make sense when you see it.

I mounted the plate to the differential first. It gives you more room to navigate the 3 o'clock bolt. When installing that 3 o'clock bolt look for a small notch in the subframe. If you line it up right it goes right in, I fought with it and thought no way until I used that notch, popped right in.

The rest is straight forward (sorry no video) but just take your time. Tighten/torque everything down and you're done. AWR 1.jpeg AWR 2.jpeg

Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Ford Explorer Platinum
Installed. Couple things that may help. E18 wrench as others suggested. If you have the 4-bolt set up, go in from the passenger's side and slide the base plate over to the driver's side it sets in place the correct way but if you go in from the driver's side the 2nd bolt gets in your way. Watch AWR install video and you will see it pass the opening on the passenger's side; it will make sense when you see it.

I mounted the plate to the differential first. It gives you more room to navigate the 3 o'clock bolt. When installing that 3 o'clock bolt look for a small notch in the subframe. If you line it up right it goes right in, I fought with it and thought no way until I used that notch, popped right in.

The rest is straight forward (sorry no video) but just take your time. Tighten/torque everything down and you're done. View attachment 12323 View attachment 12324
Thanks for the write up! Very helpful. I'll be installing one as soon as I get it powder coated Steeda blue to match the springs and sway bar.

CareerFiremanGuy

1000 Post Club
Firefighter/EMT
Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Ford Explorer ST
Unless someone tunes to 600 hp or tows 7 days a week, I don't get why 4 bolter's would install this.

Reactions
Vehicle
So far proving to be the most frustrating thing I could imagine with that 3 o’clock bolt just dont see how it’s going back in even with that notch

anyone installed this on a 2022? After 2 hours of messing with it I just dont see it going in

as mentioned below pushing the bracket up and letting it come down with the bolt at the same time works, not sure if the borla exhaust make this much harder than it need to be or not but missing a knucle and a couple hours later... its in lol

Last edited:
OP
ron@whooshmotorsports
Reactions
Thread Starter #76

The rest is straight forward (sorry no video) but just take your time. Tighten/torque everything down and you're done. View attachment 12323 View attachment 12324
the gloss black is perfect !
same color on our 2021 ST!

Reactions
Installed! For the 3 O'clock bolt first put thru the brace then push bolt upwards till it passes a ridge then it will slip in as you pull it down toward the ground. I did as Ricky did and loosely mounted the diff plate first. If you follow this method you need to wiggle the bushing housing a bit to get the threads started on that. Once all bolts are treaded I just took a big screwdriver and aligned the holes for the thru bolt into the bushing and it slid right in. Follow the tightening steps. 1. sub frame bolts to 40 ft/lbs. 2. diff bolts 33 Ft/lbs, Then main thru bolt 60-65 ft/lbs. You definitely need an E 18 ratcheting wrench to make it easy.. Amazon prime can't go wrong
https://www.amazon.com/GEARWRENCH-9...=1653162558&sprefix=E18+wratch,aps,137&sr=8-3
I think now I am fully prepped with whipple intercooler, diff brace, intake and exhaust for the ZFG tune.
I got the black so not to be as noticeable.

Attachments

Ricky

Reactions
So far proving to be the most frustrating thing I could imagine with that 3 o’clock bolt just dont see how it’s going back in even with that notch

anyone installed this on a 2022? After 2 hours of messing with it I just dont see it going in
I'm with Ya on that. I thought no way but once you line it up just right it goes right in. I was surprised how easy it dropped it. Keep at it you'll get it.

Reactions
Vehicle
Installed! For the 3 O'clock bolt first put thru the brace then push bolt upwards till it passes a ridge then it will slip in as you pull it down toward the ground. I did as Ricky did and loosely mounted the diff plate first. If you follow this method you need to wiggle the bushing housing a bit to get the threads started on that. Once all bolts are treaded I just took a big screwdriver and aligned the holes for the thru bolt into the bushing and it slid right in. Follow the tightening steps. 1. sub frame bolts to 40 ft/lbs. 2. diff bolts 33 Ft/lbs, Then main thru bolt 60-65 ft/lbs. You definitely need an E 18 ratcheting wrench to make it easy.. Amazon prime can't go wrong
https://www.amazon.com/GEARWRENCH-9222-Double-Ratcheting-Wrench/dp/B000HBF5MA/ref=sr_1_3?crid=1ZZH8CQOUXLBY&keywords=e18+ratcheting+wrench&qid=1653162558&sprefix=E18+wratch,aps,137&sr=8-3
I think now I am fully prepped with whipple intercooler, diff brace, intake and exhaust for the ZFG tune.
I got the black so not to be as noticeable.

thats that helped, not sure if the borla exhaust makes this more difficult than it need to be with the pipe right there or if the factory exhaust is in the same location

Reactions
I have the Thermal and it is tight for wrench motion. When torqueing the subframe bolts leave the thrubolt nut off and there is room for a deep socket.