Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

New Owner, 2022 Ford Explorer ST Forged Green Metallic

tazinn11

Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Ford Explorer ST
Hi all. My name is Trevor from Englewood, CO, and I just snagged a 2022 Ford Explorer ST in Forged Green Metallic. Vehicle has the 401A package, Technology Package, and Twin Panel Moonroof. Very happy with the vehicle so far.....will be making some mods including (but not limited to) Borla ATAK cat-back exhaust, Whipple Stage 1, and AFE Momentum Cold Air Intake all from Lethal Performance. Haven't done much research on what party might install said mods here in Colorado, but we'll cross that bridge at a later time! Hoping to engage with a few of you who have made similar mods. Talk to you guys soon!

Cajun Heat

Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Explorer ST
Hi all. My name is Trevor from Englewood, CO, and I just snagged a 2022 Ford Explorer ST in Forged Green Metallic. Vehicle has the 401A package, Technology Package, and Twin Panel Moonroof. Very happy with the vehicle so far.....will be making some mods including (but not limited to) Borla ATAK cat-back exhaust, Whipple Stage 1, and AFE Momentum Cold Air Intake all from Lethal Performance. Haven't done much research on what party might install said mods here in Colorado, but we'll cross that bridge at a later time! Hoping to engage with a few of you who have made similar mods. Talk to you guys soon!
Welcome Trevor and enjoy making it yours.

zdubyadubya

Reactions
Vehicle
2020 ST
Awesome! Welcome to the forum!

If you haven't purchased the ATAK yet, I would advise getting the S-Type, or another different system on the market with 2.5" pipes.

I went the Borla route initially and regretted it from day 1. The ATAK is REALLY loud (and I love loud exhaust), which only got louder with aftermarket downpipes. Upside it has ZERO drone at any speed (which isn't something some of the others can claim), but I basically at this point have replaced the entire system because my downpipes blew out my flexpipes and I converted my mid-muffler to a vibrant. So essentially all of my exhaust from turbos back to rear mufflers/tips is custom and those are all that remain from my Borla setup. To that point... I do think they have the best looking tips out there aside from full custom jobs.

Blue Beast

1000 Post Club
U.S. Army Veteran
Law Enforcement
Reactions
Vehicle
2020 ST
Welcome to the forum

OP
tazinn11

tazinn11

Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Ford Explorer ST
Thread Starter #5
Awesome! Welcome to the forum!

If you haven't purchased the ATAK yet, I would advise getting the S-Type, or another different system on the market with 2.5" pipes.

I went the Borla route initially and regretted it from day 1. The ATAK is REALLY loud (and I love loud exhaust), which only got louder with aftermarket downpipes. Upside it has ZERO drone at any speed (which isn't something some of the others can claim), but I basically at this point have replaced the entire system because my downpipes blew out my flexpipes and I converted my mid-muffler to a vibrant. So essentially all of my exhaust from turbos back to rear mufflers/tips is custom and those are all that remain from my Borla setup. To that point... I do think they have the best looking tips out there aside from full custom jobs.
noted on the ATAK being loud...thanks for the feedback. not sure the wife would appreciate it HAHA.

Self admittedly I am not a big car guy....what is the benefit of the aftermarket downpipes? Are they required (or at least highly suggested) with an aftermarket exhaust?

STFan

Administrator
Reactions
Congrats and welcome aboard Trevor

zdubyadubya

Reactions
Vehicle
2020 ST
noted on the ATAK being loud...thanks for the feedback. not sure the wife would appreciate it HAHA.

Self admittedly I am not a big car guy....what is the benefit of the aftermarket downpipes? Are they required (or at least highly suggested) with an aftermarket exhaust?
Certainly not required and not necessarily recommended unless you are looking to make as much power as you can from the platform. Its been shown that the stock cats on this vehicle are not a restriction to any tune that isn't requiring some other big mods on the air intake/fuel side of things. Guys like me with '20s replaced them because our stock ones were known to crack and I do think they lend a little better noise--its more brap-y and less muted under full throttle.

Reactions
You will definitely want to change the flex pipe sections, which Borla does not replace. The OE flex pipes will drive you nuts with the rattling and Ford's TSB to fix the issue does not work. Check out the Thermal R&D 2.5" with mid pipes.

zdubyadubya

Reactions
Vehicle
2020 ST
Reactions
I would actually get the 3" system if I was buying today. I've heard it sounds a little mellower and hits lower frequencies when under part throttle, which helps with drone around 1500-1700 rpm. If I had just done this from day 1 I would have saved soooo much money.

https://whoosh-motorsports.myshopif...plorer-st-3-inch-exhaust-system-free-shipping
The reason I did not go with the 3" is that I heard that it was too loud from folks on this forum. Granted, that is all subjective so I guess it's all a matter of opinion. I get zero drone whatsoever with the 2.5". It's a bit aggressive on cold start, hardly noticeable at cruising speeds and almost the same note as FENG at WOT.

zdubyadubya

Reactions
Vehicle
2020 ST
True. I don't own either and haven't even heard either in person, so my point is all heresay.... if you are concerned about the wife driving and being annoyed, maybe go with what this guy says. Either way I think its a pretty solid consensus among owners that Thermal makes the best out of the box kit for this platform.

The reason I did not go with the 3" is that I heard that it was too loud from folks on this forum. Granted, that is all subjective so I guess it's all a matter of opinion. I get zero drone whatsoever with the 2.5". It's a bit aggressive on cold start, hardly noticeable at cruising speeds and almost the same note as FENG at WOT.

Reactions
Vehicle
'21 Explorer ST
Whats going on Trevor...more pics or it didn't happen. Have not seen one of these in green personally. Very curious!

OP
tazinn11

tazinn11

Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Ford Explorer ST
Thread Starter #13
It's a very unique shade of green.....advertised as "metallic" but the metallic flake is not very prominent. Looks a lot like leadfoot grey under low light. explorer2.jpg explorer4.jpg explorer3.jpg
explorer1.jpg

Reactions
Vehicle
'21 Explorer ST
I've never considered a green colored vehicle before...well played. Unique and looks amazing in the light.

Reactions
Vehicle
2021 Explorer ST
Self admittedly I am not a big car guy....
just leave it stock and enjoy it then. I am huge mod guy I change everything on everything except the ST I have only put lowering springs ill probably tune it and thats it and so far I have been to lazy to do that so who knows.

GMAN

Reactions
Vehicle
2021 Ford Explorer GT
I installed the MBRP S52053CF - ARMOR PRO Cat-Back Stainless Exhaust System and it sounds amazing you may want to look at this for your Explorer if you have not already purchased the Borla ATAK system

V3nom3nom

Nurse
Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
Beautiful machine! That forged green is gorgeous

Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Explorer ST
Welcome Colorado brother! If you find a shop/dealer that will install the intercooler let me know. Could do it myself but apt parking lot would suck.

OP
tazinn11

tazinn11

Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Ford Explorer ST
Thread Starter #19
Welcome Colorado brother! If you find a shop/dealer that will install the intercooler let me know. Could do it myself but apt parking lot would suck.
yessir! I'm looking at SCR Performance in Loveland to install the Thermal 2.5" exhaust system

GMAN

Reactions
Vehicle
2021 Ford Explorer GT
Excellent enjoy